farrar is offline New Member

Couch Potato Has Knee Injuries-Need Advice

I have a problem with an injury and need some advice. First, I am 41 years old, weigh 209 pounds and am 5’ 10” tall. I weighed 185 when I got out of Basic Training 20 years ago so I am guessing that I am still about 25 pounds overweight. When I started my diet and exercise program 9 weeks ago I weighed in at 231 so I have lost 22 pounds. I started out jogging 4 miles per day, 5 days per week and was really making progress until my knees begin to hurt. After 5 weeks of jogging, I could NOT get back upright from a squatting position with grasping something and my knees had a squishy, gravely, feeling. Now, 5 weeks later with no jogging, they do not hurt nearly as bad when coming back up from a squat. I can get up without holding onto anything but there is still some pain and a feeling like they could “pop” at any minute. When I quit jogging, a buddy who is into bodybuilding got me into weight training. I now do Chest, Shoulders, Triceps on one day, Back and Biceps the next day, and Legs and Abs the third day. I take one day off and repeat. I had hoped my “Leg Day” workout would strengthen my leg muscles sufficiently to return to jogging at least three days a week as I really enjoy jogging. About 8 years ago, I was jogging 4 miles in under 30 minutes and weighed in at 180-185 pounds. A women at the Runner’s World forum said the reason I was having knee problems was that my leg muscles were not strong enough to support the load I was placing on them AND over work after such a long time of leading a “couch potato” lifestyle. So, I had hoped I could strengthen them through weight training and discovered that I enjoyed this MUCH more than running as I am seeing results quicker and seem to get a much more intense workout as compared to jogging.

I have gotten discouraged as of late since it seems I cannot train my legs in the gym. I cannot even do lunges or extensions without my knees really bothering me. I had considered just training Chest/Shoulder/Triceps on Monday-Wednesday-Friday and Back/Biceps/Abs on Tuesday-Thursday-Saturday and forget the legs for a while longer. I do have an in ground pool, 20 X 40, in my yard that I could use for my cardio as soon as it gets warm enough.

What suggestions could you give on how to “get around” my knees for a while? My dad has given me 5-10 Celebrex tablets and they seem to help. I also take a supplement that has 3 ingredients for swelling, joint lubrication, and cartilage rebuilding. I take three of these and a multivitamin each morning. I am eating 20-30 grams of fat daily, 180-220 grams of protein, 200-300 carbs, and about 2200 calories. I drink about 1-˝ gallons of water daily also.

Any help would be appreciated as I am making progress and hate to take a step back. Like I said, I have given my knees about 5-6 weeks off but any time I push them, it feels as though I am about to re-injure them.

Thanks,

Jeff

Neo
    Neo is offline Senior Member
    Try some cardio that is a little easier on your knees....like riding a bike or an elliptical trainer. Keep up the good work, bro! And welcome to AR!!!!

My leg routine is very limited as I am using only barbells {140 lbs.}, dumbbells {up to 100 lbs; pair of 50 pounders} and a home gym machine. I do {or rather TRY to do} 4 sets-10 reps of leg extensions but about 35 pounds is all I can move. I then do 4 sets-10 reps each leg of lunges using a 30-pound dumbbell in each hand.

For calves it is even more limited. I use a 140-pound barbell and do 4 sets-30 reps of calf raises by using a piece of 4 x 4 wood to step up on. I had hoped to get the bulk of my calf work in by jogging. My buddy who has been bodybuilding for several years always points out my calves when introducing me to friends-he says he'd kill for calves as big as mine. I used to run quite a bit many moons ago and I guess that is where the size came in.

I guess my best move would be to join the gym where my friend works out so I'll have the right equipment AND a training partner but I like working out in my dad's gym. He built a half basketball court in a 50 x 50 metal building and that's where what little equipment I have is located. {He's 64, runs 6 miles per day, and won the Great American Shootout in basketball 2 years ago by hitting 171 out of 172 free throws!}

I do have some Deca {16-200Mg/2Ml amps} on the way and had planned to do 400 Mg./week for 8 weeks. My friend had also mentioned that Deca was very good for joints.

Thanks for the advice!

Jeff

Thanks! I WILL try a lower weight. And hopefully the Deca will help also.

Thanks for taking the time,

Jeff

Ajax is offline Senior Member
    You should have posted this in the "Over 30 Forum" you would probably have got more responses. Us 'old farts' over there all have the same aches & pains...

First off, I would go see a doctor about this. You will get some good advice here, but a doctor will be your best source of information about problems like this.

I have bad knees as well. But losing weight and exercising generally makes the condition better. The fact that exercise is making your knee worse is NOT a good sign. I hate to say this, but it might be arthritis!

Back to what I said earlier: go see a doctor. If it's a degenerative condition and you continue trying to work it, you willonly make it worse. If caught early on, there is a better chance the doctor can do something about it.

Good luck!

Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member
    This helps me out too guys. I am 23 and have the same symptoms that farrar has described. Maybe a doctor is not such as a bad idea....

Thread Information