BillyBob is offline Junior Member

Workout routine counterproductive?

I have been reading in some places that you can over work a muscle and make it shrink? Im 17, 160, 5'9, 9%bf and heres my routine:
    Monday:Chest+Biceps
    Tuesday:Back+Triceps
    Wednesday:Legs+Sholders
    Thursday:Chest+Biceps
    Friday:Back+Triceps
    Saturday:Legs and Sholders
    Sunday: Rest

Do you think this is hurting me in the long run?

Thanks for help

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Hey bro,

Many of our larger bros say that you should only work a muscle once a week.

Neo and Bigkev both have suggested some great workouts. Look around on our board and see if you can locate either of their workouts.

devland2 is offline Junior Member
    if you are doing arms with anything else it should be back and biceps and chest and triceps not the way you have it , when working back you work bis and chest you work tris during the back and chest part, so finish the same muscle off

Thx bros, do you think that all the work I did was bad when I was using that routine?

HalOd03 is offline Associate Member
    Thx bros, do you think that all the work I did was bad when I was using that routine?
    It all depends on you; your body..everyone's body is different than others..

1 person can lift chest/tris in the morning, and be ready for a heavy back workout in the afternoon...

then some people can hardly get through just a simple chest workout..

it all depends on your body and how it reacts to how your working it..your young so u have time to try different routines, see what works for u best...when u find what works for you best, stick with that. And when u reach a plateau from that, try something new. Its all about confusing the muscles, theres so many different methods of training...

Good Luck, Get BiGG!

Dave..

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i agree everyone is different and muscle mass for each person develops due to many factors including age,genitics,diet,intensity and rest
    i think doing 6 days a week and each body part 2 x per week is too much. i got big when i dropped to 3 days per week each body part 1 x per week i am now 242 at 5'10" and getting lean

Thx bros, I thought I was feeling tried throughout the week but I wasn't sure that it was from my workout. I thought because I was 17 meant that I could Work out that much. I think im gonna switch to big kevs routine. Thanks Again

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by devland2
    if you are doing arms with anything else it should be back and biceps and chest and triceps not the way you have it , when working back you work bis and chest you work tris during the back and chest part, so finish the same muscle off

i completely disagree with this, by time u get done with chest your triceps will be partially exhausted and u will not be able to get as good of a workout for your tri's

keep chest/bis and shoulder/tri's, only ppl who argue against this are ppl who have never tried it

JP1
    JP1 is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by devland2
    I agree and disagree, I mix it up every 8-12 weeks, one 8-12 weeks I will do chest and bi's and the next 8-12 I will do chest and tri's....I don't really notice my tri's being hammered on after doing chest. so I don't think it ruins the tri workout. I also, depending on what you are after in your weight training would disagree with the 2 times a week each body part, I do disagree with 6 days a week of weights though. if you are going to workout ea. body part 2 times a week then I would only lift 2 times a week say Mon. and Thurs. but you will not get big big from this, you may get cut but I doubt you will get big.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Wow, if you were doing compound movements for chest and delts you would have been affecting your triceps every single workout!!

If you are going to do a three day split twice per week you really need to aggregate like muscles together - the push pull system.

Ie.

Mon chest / delts (front and side) / triceps
    Tue back / rear delts / traps / biceps
    Wed Legs
    Thu chest / delts (front and side) / triceps
    Fri back / rear delts / traps / biceps
    Sat Legs
    Sun REST

This helps give your muscles as much rest between workouts as possible.

Daz

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    chest or shoulders with tris, and back with biceps, the whole point is to exhaust and tear down your muscles, thats why if you work arms with other body parts its a good idea to work same range of motion. other wise you are defiantly over training if you do chest biceps, shoulders tricpes the next and then chest again, thats three days in a row you have worked your tris.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    My advice...try every kind of routine and see what works best for you.

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    I do the same routine you do, I play it by feel. I go 3 days on and 1 day off and 3 days back on and 2 days off then repeat. Just because there's 7 days in a week doesn't mean that you have to routine your workout around it.

Rock on.

Thread Information