Thread: bicep curl

ladave99 is offline Junior Member

bicep curl

What is the consensus?

Is there any point to adding a wrist twist while doing biceps curls?

By twist I mean, starting outwith palm perpendicular to floor, and then twisting it so it is parallel to floor during the curl.

Thanks

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Good question bro!

As you probably know, supination is actually the biceps primary action. The problem with dumbell curls and supination is that there isn't much resistance to work against as you suppinate, which means that it won't really have much effect.

BUT - you wont get a maximum contraction of the biceps unless your wrist is fully supinated, so I'd recommend you supinate for obvious reasons!

Actually - check this page out, it's excellent. Do the test it recommends (tense your arm by contracting it using the opposite forearm to give it something to tense against)

http://members.aol.com/Attic21/Anatomy/muscles2.html

When do barbell curls you might like to do isometric supination - attempt to twist at the wrist as you perform each rep. Even though you wont twist at the wrist the biceps are still doing work against the bar.

Cheers,

def

ladave99 is offline Junior Member

thanks

Thank you, and very well put.

That has been my question to others in the gym--- knowing that supination is very hard to do against resistance even if you do the the turn during the biceps curl.

I always found that there was really no resistance to the supination andthought it was pointless.

So, I will start and finish supinated. Thank you.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    Great! Let me know how you get on!

Also, my favourite way to do dumbell curls is this:

Standing up, take two embarrassingly light dumbells. 10 or 15kg'ers.
    Start in the supinated position, with elbows tucked in nice and tight to your body (this will mean having your dumbells actually resting on your quads).

Lift the dumbells up (both arms at the same time), but keep your wrists locked and the elbows in tight - a little movement is okay but do your best to keep them in. With your elbows locked in you'll find that you can't get the dumbells anywhere near your delts and that you've only managed to contract them through a 120 degree curve.

Lower them back down but don't let them touch the quads - keeps the tension in the biceps and is a killer!!

People will look at you and think you are weak but when your biceps pump up like crazy they might be pursueded to try this themselves, instead of just chucking around the biggest dumbells they can.

all the best,

def

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I feel supination is very important..it helps get that peak from the extra squeeze.

Thread Information