Pheedno is offline Respected Member

Morning workouts raising infection risk

London, July 30 (Reuters)-

Early morning workouts may help to get the day off to a good start but scientists said on Tuesday they could increase susceptibility to infection.

Levels of the stress hormone cortisol which supresses the immune system are higher in athletes who train early rather than late in the day.

"The results of this study suggest that the optimal time for training-that is, the time of day with the least immunosuppresive effect-is the evening," said Dr. Lygeri Dimitriou, of Brunel University in Isleworth.

In a study reported in the British Journal of Sports Medicine, Dimitriou and his colleagues studied the effects of early morning and evening training programmes on 14 competitive swimmers.

The reaserchers measured their levels of cortisol and their IgA secretory rate, a marker of immune activity, in saliva after early and late training sessions.

Levels of cortisol were higher in the morning, both before and after the training but the IgA secretory rates were lower but not affected by the training.

The scientists said findings suggest that a persons internal clock, or circadian rhythms, have an impact on the immune system.

They suggest athletes should avoid early morning training, particularly after injury or ilness or before a big competition.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    hmm intresting read bro, thanks for the post!

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I heard Mike Savage talking about it on the Savage Nation. Shit is interesting, but I'll continue to do it.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    Heh same here, If i wait until the evening i might as well just give up working out. By 5pm i have WAY to many reasons to not go to the gym.

at 5:30am what the hell else am i gonna do after im awake hehe

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I'm diff. from you fellas. I just can't get my ass up in the morning to workout. The energy just isn't there.
    I'm hittin the gym at 4:30 everyday.
    After work, I'm so motivated, probably due to sittin on my ass at a desk all day.

Studies or not, the best time to work out is whats best for you.

Thread Information