freakout is offline Associate Member

Question What type of gym suits you

I have been visiting lots of gyms lately in my area..

What makes a good gym for you?

Is it the crowd? the equipment? the ventilation? or the trainers in the gym? the distance from your workplace/home? the toilet facilities? the membership fees?

I do not like crowded gyms especially when the gyms are full of people who do not workout and only chit chat while working out; in addition, to share the equipment is a crime to them, last but not least, there is nothing wrong being BIG! Do not stare at us if we attempt something intensive!!!

Similarly, I cannot stand smoking in the gyms because I have asthma...

In addition, I do not appreciate cocky trainers who actually have nothing on their minds but money and money... Too bad they do not have a good bod most of the time...

I used to travel 1.5 hrs to my gym every time..and it costs $3 every time...Thus it was a rather tiring experience mentally and physically after my training.

Hmmmmmmmmm.......I am getting very fussy!!!Sorry for the complaints!!

What about your choice? I welcome advices even if they are rather nasty ones... (I doubt so... )

Last edited by freakout; 05-14-2002 at 01:40 AM.

Canes4Ever is offline Banned
    For me, its all about equipment. I need to have plenty of free weights and certain good Hammerstrength machines, and I am fine.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    the atmosphere has to be ríght! nothing but hardcore

jonesmeister is offline Junior Member
    for me its got to be equipement first, then opening times, sometimes i like to train at 8.am on a monday morning sometimes at 8pm on a sunday evening.

Hitman is offline Senior Member
    Good question mate, ok ill start with crowds ...i hate them i need space to move and breath i get fakin dizzy with to many people in one room. Then its free weights more than one pair of any givin weight would be nice. Chilled water machines are a must and clean floors(hey i dont wanna smell someones feet when im doing seated floor rows). Music it has to be fast, i find if the music is good from start to finish i can walk out with a great pump and smile to boot. Showers need to be roomy and clean. Lastly complimentrys my gym has fresh apples that you can help your self to and if you get in sweet with the staff they dont charge if you forget your towel or soap.The only thing my gym needs is a better selection of power bars and protein drinks but apart from that its pretty cool...........HITMAN

Sema is offline Associate Member
    I have a hate/love affair with my gym

I love it because the service is great, lots of nice equipment, we have sauna, free drinks ...
    On the other side it hate it. In the week its absolutely overcrowded and there are way too less free weights, so mostly all of them are occupied, and then when you finally get a grip on those you need, its like everyone's staring at you

So: most important to me
    1. the equipment and the quantity of it
    2. as less people as poss
    3. a good service (like the sauna, drinks...)

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    An ambundance of 20kg (45LBS) plates, it pisses me off when I run out

Re: Re: What type of gym suits you

Originally posted by Diesel

I have never seen a gym where you can smoke.

The gym just needs to have all the equipment I need. As for the crouds, I don't pay any attention. I do avoid Mondays though....All the people that feel guilty from the weekends.
    I agree with Diesel I've never been in a gym where you can smoke, but with Freakout, there is a caveat, he is in The Philippines.

Originally posted by Big Al
    An ambundance of 20kg (45LBS) plates, it pisses me off when I run out

WOW, run out of 45's ??? Big Al, just how BIG are you ??

Kärnfysikern is offline Retired: AR-Hall of Famer
    I want the people in the gym to be hardcore, nice, friendly and not to many
    and that the gym has decent music(the best is if its possible to bring cds) and all the basic things needed, some nice hammer strenght machines to are never wrong

Hello Diesel and Canes

My previous gym is a rather simple and isolated one..hidden in a corner of a building...

Most of the guys there smokes like tomorrow never dies....Gosh!! Sometimes I walk out of the gym with a feeling that I have just finish a strip dance at a certain night club!!

I am from Singapore by the way... not far from Phillippines... erm... a small dot below Malaysia..

Last edited by freakout; 05-14-2002 at 09:17 AM.

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    Yeah i like the gym to have a nice and friendly atmosphere, and alot of free weight. I am constantly asking peoipel quesstions in my gym. Out of the blue osmeone willc ome up to me and say yourdoing that wrong.. etc. We also have three sets of free wieghts and an Oover abundance of 45lb plates. With the crowded thing. I htink every gym is crowded at 5:00 till about 8:00. thats when people get off of work. And htis gym is open 24 hours. SAo anytime you wanna train its there. I don't liek gyms like the spa with the swimming pools and the saunas, wher eyou get the rich snobby people truining their head when you ask them for a spot. i love my gym, sure its a bucnh of old guys who stare at any girl that walks in, but i love it

Darkknight442 is offline Associate Member
    oh also gyms wih added services. Like my gym has a boxing ring. thinkgs like that. It also has a seperate complete cardio facility. adn its dirt cheap

I have decisions to make...hmmm going to change new gym soon...

the equipment and the crowd

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't really give a shit.. just as long as the equipments good.. i don't like going to gyms where all the shit is put together with fucking bubble gum. I don't really mind the people just as long as they stay outta my way.

Last summer there was this fat dude who always tried to give me pointers on how I should lift. I would be like " Yeah ok man i have to finish my sets" He fucking ass would still keep talking like we were good homies or some shit. Finally i just started blowing him off ignoring him and shit.. he finally got the hint. I hate these kinds of people. Do your sets and leave me the fuck alone.. Thankyou

Darknight.. i know what your talking about when it comes to the rich snobby peps, but fuckem.

Peace out

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    No crowd, excellent equipment, and no air conditioning.

The best gym is my own home.

For one, you can train without having to worry about giving a damn about what anybody else thinks. And second, you can still get a great workout from a bench, barbell and dumbbell set. Although, I may join a gym in a few years.

maguilagorilla is offline Associate Member
    my favorite gym was in my home town which is about 30 min away now that i moved but wasnt too crowded great weights and good music trainer was an old high scool buddy would let anyone do whatever they wanted and give tips only when asked free water, and excellent juice bar hard core in the evenings and i8n the early mornings open 24/6

Zoolander is offline Junior Member
    One and a half hours to go to your gym!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mine is just 10 minutes away tops but I would rather do it in my mini gym at home??????????

You staying in Tuas and your gym in Pasir Ris????????

Zoolander is offline Junior Member
    Ode to home gym!

tatty is offline Member
    I'm all about working out at home as well. I can keep the intensity level at it's highest, but I sacrifice having a spotter...It's all good.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by Pheedno
    No crowd, excellent equipment, and no air conditioning.
    I agree!!

tie
    tie is offline Junior Member
    1) Serious metal - hopless if it nothing bu LifeFitness machines as far as the eye can see
    2) Serious members - nothing worse than amatuers using the Smith machine for a chin up bar
    3) a serious sauna
    4) free water - just a personal gripe, but I cannot stand those gyms that don't provide a water fountain to their patrons - it's not just tight, it's bloody dangerous!

Tie

BLOOD is offline Associate Member
    A room in my basement, it is my temple, where I become one with the weights....

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Over the years, I've worked out at many of the Big 3 gyms (World, Gold's, Powerhouse). I found that the bigger the gym, the more enticed I am to train. When it is smaller, I have to practically put a gun to my head to make myself go (don't worry, it's not loaded........LOL)

I'm currently at a World Gym and I'll have to agree with alot of you guys. The equipment is the major factor of the gym. Though the gym is quite small, I'm glad to say that the World Gym that I train at has Hammer Strength machines. And the people there are pretty cool. I've even heard stories that "Macho Man" Randy Savage works out there, though I train too early in the morning to see him.

As far as overcrowding is concerned, I work weird hours (5:30 PM til 2 AM) so when I get there after work, I'm usually the only one there training. I prefer it like that. No one to interfer with my training to perform their "one-a-day" set while I'm using the Hammer Strength preacher curl. No one to ask me, "Isn't that heavy" while I'm trying to do benchs........LOL. And above all, no one to pick up after when I need to use a barbell.
    Last edited by TheChosen1; 08-12-2002 at 03:43 AM.

hellapimpin is offline Anabolic Member
    Any gym with alot of cuties hanging out!!!!

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    i like the gyms filled with tones of free weights

babi is offline Associate Member
    for me the two most important things in a gym is the equipment and the crowd.if you get in a gym with big guys you tend to work out harder to catch up or be bigger than those guys so thats a major plus for me when it comes to training

BLOOD is offline Associate Member
    I suppose if I were to frequent a gym, one thing that would catch my eye would be dealers, with good prices and selection. (in a perfect world)

Thread Information