solidj55 is offline Member

Gaining or maintaining strength while training for 1.5mile run? Ideas from everyone

Gaining or maintaining strength while training for 1.5mile run? Ideas from everyone
    Just wondering if this is POSSIBLE, I know its not a good idea but its something I must do. I am going to most likely be taking a physical endurance test for a job, Im hopefully going to be getting a job as a police officer. The test will include a 1.5 mile run that has to be done in 15min or less. I went out and ran today since Im not lifting this week to see if I could do that and I got it but it wasnt pretty. So needless to say I am going to have to at least half ass train for it. So what do you think I could do to gain or at least preserve my strength? The thing is I dont know when Ill have to take the physical test so Im not sure how long I have to train for it, most likely it will be a while, I will probably find out a week or two before hand, if I have 10 days to prepare Ill be ok but I need to get started here pretty soon just in case. What does everyone think? Eating a shit load is not a good idea either because I have to watch my height/weight/bodyfat ratio as well.
    Any ideas are appreciated.

woodsy169 is offline Associate Member
    Training for a mile and a half run won't wipe your strength away...I assume you do cardio now, so running won't hurt you. I run 4 miles, 3 times a week and just competed in my 1st 5K run. My strength has done nothing but increase, my max bench is 405 lbs. I am 6'3", 220 lbs, 10% bf. If you are worried about losing your strength by running now, wait until you go to the academy. They had us get up at 5 AM every day for PT and ran our asses off...I am an ex-police officer, now computer programmer BTW.

LOL I figured that about the Academy, do you have a weight room at the academy out of curiousity? Anyway, no I do not do cardio right now other than walking a lot at my part time job. I am a powerlifter so if you know anything about powerlifting you will know most powerlifters dont do cardio. Im not a huge fat ass but Im not ripped to shreds either.
    I am 5'5" 181-185lbs, 13%BF. Like I said I have to be able to run the 1.5miles in less that 15 minutes, which I can do now because I did it today, but I would like to be able to blow it the hell away when I take the test. Since your a former police officer I would like to ask you a few questions if you wouldnt mind. What all was included in your physical fitness test that you took pre-getting hired. I know ours is like 1.5mile run and probably push ups, sit ups, and thats about all I know. Also, what was the academy PT like? Just curious as to what I MAY have to look forward to if I get this job. I just turned in my application today but there are like 3 officers leaving and I know a lot of people that work for the department so I have a better than average chance of getting it, so needless to say Im getting excited/nervous about it. Just want to be the fucking best lol.

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod
    Actually the better cardiovascularlly fit you are the longer you can train in the gym, pushing out more reps before fatique sets in. This should not bother you in loss of strengh, but if size is of imporatnce, then you should have some concerns. Try takeing in large amounts of glutamine while training for your run. It will help you maintain your lean muslce mass while pushing your cardio up. Make sure that you are getting enough caloires in per day and staying focused on your diet is another key factor. If your lean muscle mass begins to drop to much, increase your caloric intake until you have taken the test. You can always back off the cardio once you have already taken it. Good luck and keep us posted of your results.
    IC
    Last edited by Tobey; 08-09-2002 at 01:39 AM.

Thanks Tobey, I dont really care about looks or size, just strength.

xxxl83 is offline Productive Member
    Solidj55,
    Don't worry about it if your looking to just beat 15 mins. I'd say keep up on your training (strength) and do 15-20 mins. of cardio on your off days, just do the cardio with the same intensity you would give to that run. Shit I'm 5'11'' 245lbs and can still run a 7 min mile, so I'm sure you'll have no problem with this.

xxxl83

woodsy169 is offline Associate Member
    For the test we had to run an obstacle course under a certain time...the course consisted of a 100 yard sprint, zig-zag between poles, walk across an elevated beam, climb a 6 foot fence, crawl through a tunnel, then drag a 150 lb dummy 25 yards. It was a bitch since I weighed in at 280 lbs...I wish it had only been a 1.5 mile run...probably would have been a lot easier than all that speed work.

PT at the Academy consisted of stretching and warming up, then push-ups, sit-ups, jumping jacks, squat thrusts, then more push-ups. Then we went out and ran...sometimes 10 x 100 yard sprints, other times 2 mile airborne shuffle runs repeating cadence. A few times we just ran 2 miles without the shuffle...the instructors acted like DI's in the military...wore BDU's, yelled and cussed you, the whole bit. I was in great shape after 16 weeks of that every morning.

Good luck on getting the job bro!

Thanks Woodsy, I actually may to run that same obstical course as well, I am thinking of adding in some spring work to my routine as well. This is what my total routine looks like now.

Monday
    Lift-Chest, Shoulders, triceps
    Run

Tuesday
    Off-rest

Wednesday
    Run

Thursday
    Lift-Legs,Back, Biceps

Friday
    Run

As of right now this is my running schedule that I have planned for the next 7 weeks, the reason I planned for 7 weeks is because I am doing a periodization workout for my bench right now that is going to last 7 weeks. Anyway here is the running schedule.

Week 1
    Monday-1/2 mile
    Wednesday-1mile
    Friday-3/4 mile

Week 2
    Mon-3/4 mile
    Wed-1and1/4 mile
    Fri-1 mile

Week 3
    Mon-1 mile
    Wed-1and1/2 mile
    Fri-1and1/4 mile

Week 4
    Mon,Wed,Fri-1and1/2 mile

Week 5
    Mon-1and1/4 mile
    Wed-1and3/4 mile
    Fri-1and1/2 mile

Week 6
    Mon-1and1/2 mile
    Wed-2 mile
    Fri-1and3/4

Week 7
    Mon,Wed,Fri-1and1/2 mile

Like I said this is my projected schedule as of now, I may change it depending on how fast my endurance pics up, which like I said I can already pass the required test but want to do better, or if they call me earlier than 7 weeks from now.

Thread Information