bdiamond is offline New Member

Suggestions for a leg routine

Legs are a bitch to put any mass on when you're tall like me (6'4) i was wondering if anyone had a good program to use to build up your legs. I'm thinkin i need more hamstring exercises b/c as of now my leg day looks like this:

Squats 4 sets 8-12 reps
    Leg Press 3 sets 20 reps
    Extensions 3 sets 8-12 reps
    Leg curls 3 sets 8-12 reps

i'd like to keep it at one day and not split up hams and quads. any help?

sounds like a good routine man sounds a lot like mine. It is alright to work your hams and quads on the same day just make sure you blast em hard

MilitiaGuy is offline Banned
    man i am 6.2 ectomorph i have long legs and i am doing the same workout like yours and my gains are awsome i think all my body mass is in my legs try to make heavy squats it work well

TheChosen1 is offline Member
    Hitting your legs at a different angle may kick start them into growth.
    Try hack squats.

skid is offline Banned
    add Straight-Leg Deadlifts to hit the hamstrings - the side benefits are strengthening the lower back and hitting the glutes if you do it right

another note - it looks like you're doing really high reps ... I've always heard that (except for Calves) low reps with heavy weights was really the way to add mass (unless this doesn't count for legs and I "didn't get the Memo"?)

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by skid
    add Straight-Leg Deadlifts to hit the hamstrings - the side benefits are strengthening the lower back and hitting the glutes if you do it right

another note - it looks like you're doing really high reps ... I've always heard that (except for Calves) low reps with heavy weights was really the way to add mass (unless this doesn't count for legs and I "didn't get the Memo"?)
    Skid is right on both accounts. Thrown in some Stiff-legged Deadlifts and and lower the reps some, especially on the leg press. JMO

bobbejack is offline New Member
    DROP YOUR REPS DOWN AND UP THE WEIGHT. ALSO, IT WOULDN'T HURT TO ADD IN SOME FRONT SQUATS FOR QUADS AND DON'T FORGET THOSE LUNGES ouch

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    I'd drop the leg presses and put in some stiff leg DL's along with Hack squats.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    did you ever play a sport that required leg function rather than size for a prolonged period. I played basketball for many, many years (very competitively, AAU and such) till i got into the lifting game, and ten years of conditioning my legs for sprints and jumping ability (high, high, high reps when and if i used weights). I believe, as a result, my legs tended to be stubborn when it came to growth. As such, i have to really mix it up. Squats are the foundation of my routine (now) but after that, the supporting exercise du juor varies EVERY day. Last leg workout it was some low rep leg presses and high rep hack squats...the opposite the one before. NExt time, I'll do some walking lunges and front squats. I truly believe that those who developed and went through puberty and such deliberately training a certain bodypart to perfrom a certain function (often antithetical to muscle growth) absolutely *need* this variety to deprogram years of that conditioning. Just my opinion though.

Thread Information