solidj55 is offline Member

Do you think this is over training?

This is what my routine will be like. I have several goals with this and they are: 1) Decrease my 1.5 mile run time(most important) 2) Drop bodyfat 3) Maintain as much muscle as possible

I will only be lifting 2-3 days per week using only compound movements and maybe one isolation movement for triceps and biceps and of course my abs. This is what I was thinking my routine will look like.

Monday
    am-1 hour walk on treadmill
    pm-lift

Tuesday
    am-1.5mile run

Wednesday
    am-1hour walk on treadmill
    pm-lift

Thursday
    am-3/4 mile run

Friday
    am-1 hour walk on treadmill
    pm-lift

Saturday
    am-15 minute interval sprints

What do you guys think?

I am 5'5" 182-184lbs BF??? My diet will be low carb, high protein, moderate fat. I will be eating about 220-240g Protein per day, about 60-80g Carbs per day(timed around pre and post lifting and post am cardio) and about 80-90g Fat per day mostly through fish oil, flaxseed oil, and almonds/peanut butter. I need to drop my bodyfat down for a physical and I am working on my 1.5 mile run as well for that reason but I still want to maintain some good muscle and strength

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    "lift" as a workout description is fairly vague, and as such can't really tell you with any confidence whether it's overtraining or not....is this lifting high intensity with little rest in between sets for an hour, or does it constitute knocking out a few sets of cable crossovers and maybe some pulldowns? That being said, for me, that kind of limit on carbs with a decent amount of double sessions would eventually lead to overtraining , or at the very least a loss of both muscle and fat. You know best (i hope) how your own unique metabolism deals with this and should adjust accordingly...just look out for the classic overtraining symptoms and, as is always best when beginning any type of bulking or cutting cycle, ease your way into it so your body is given time to adjust...don't go from 4500 cals a day and four times a week sessions today to 2500 and double sessions tomorrow...that'll shock your body with the same end results as overtraining.

durbin22 is offline Member
    You need to elaborate more on the "lift" like Big mentioned. If you work each bodypart 1 day per week except for abs and maybe calves then I would not worry about it.

Didnt have time to elaborate on the lift part when I wrote it nor do I now, I know that my lifting routine will not overtrain me but I was wondering if I would over train due to that much cardio.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    No your cardio isnt too much.

or atleast i dont think so, ive been doing cardio x 5 a while now and ive seen great results

Ok my workouts are like this.

Monday-Chest, Front Delt, Triceps

Bench Press-5-6 sets(last two are actually working sets, I use periodization type routines)

Closegrip Incline Press(1 set almost to failure, usually 1-2 reps left in the tank)

Front Delt Dumbell Raises(2 sets)

Tricep Pushdowns or Tricep Extensions(2 sets)

Wednesday-Back, Biceps

Rows(I alternate a different type of row in every two weeks)-3-4 sets of 5

Widegrip or Closegrip Pulldowns-2 sets

Rear Delt Fly-2 sets

Curls-3 sets(I use a different type of curl every week)

Friday-Legs/Lower Back

Hack Squats-3 sets
    Leg Curls-3 sets
    Calf Raises-2-3 sets
    Hyperextensions-3 sets

I also do abs 2-3 times per week, the days I do them on vary according to how I feel. Sorry I didnt post this before but I didnt have time when I was posting earlier. And dont clown on my workout either lol, it works very well for me.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    i think your doing well. if you like it and are seeing results keep on keeping on!

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I don't think there would be any overtraining in that routine, especially not due to the cardio. But you should still make sure you get plenty of sleep, and just listen to your body as far as exhaustion goes. Who knows, you may be able to push it even harder after you've adapted to the training. Let your body tell you if your overtraining....don't tell your body it's overtrained, If that makes any sense.

$uperman is offline Member
    thats not to hardcore.... i think you will be fine doing that routine. you will be able to feel it if your overtraining

Thanks again guys

Thread Information