BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Great tip for those planning to max on bench

Yeah, this might belong in the powerlifting forum, but i'm guessing it might very well be common knowledge over there and i don't want to look foolish, but do want to help a few people out. Anyway, i had been stuck at 315 for a LONG time as a max point (i try to test every other month just to check my progress) and was able to throw up 325 out of the blue by making one change (this was after failing one it once). It may very well have been the placebo effect, but i'll post the tip, along with the explanation i was given as to why it works in the hopes it helps someone out as well in the hopes i get some feedback as to whether it actually worked for anyone else.

Anyway, here it is: Immediately before attempting this max, set up a barbell off to the side with a weight you can row with pretty strict form for about 10-12 reps and do about 7-8 reps with the hardest squeeze and longest pause (within reason of course) you've ever done on this exercise...the whole point is to absolutely tighten and pump your lats. IMMEDIATELY head under the bench without any real rest (just catch your breath quickly, maybe 30 seconds??) and make your attempt. Apparently, as it was explained to me, this produces a rubber band type effect - your lats are so tightly wound if the rows are done right that they kinda create a springboard action on the bench, really assisting you in gettign some good force off the initial explosion, since low rep benching will (as i've discovered when they become very sore after a low rep chest workout) incorporate the lats to a signficant degree. Again, it may very well be the placebo effect, but it seems to make sense to me and I'd like to know what other people think...especially if you try it yourself.
    Last edited by BigGreen; 08-31-2002 at 08:02 PM.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Very true. never tryed to do rows before i bench, but seen some Swedish powerlifters talk about using there lats when benching.

babi is offline Associate Member
    jump right away to the bench after a set and surpass your max out?it sounds strange but i will git it a TRY.

Hmm, interesting. I don't know how it could physiologically be possible (it could be, not sure), but you're right, it may be a placebo effect. I'll give it a try later on today when I hit the bench.

solidj55 is offline Member
    Another good way is to do this. This will all depend on how strong you are but basically you warm up using triples until they get heavy and then do singles until you find a max. You can jump any where from 5-50lbs each time. This is an example of how to do it.

Barx5
    95x5
    135x3
    185x3
    225x3
    275x3
    315x1
    365x1
    405x1
    etc
    etc
    etc

fliprock is offline Junior Member
    Some guys say you should train back and chest at the same time
    and biceps and triceps at the same time

HalOd03 is offline Associate Member
    solidj: how long do u rest between those sets?

solidj55 is offline Member
    Rest 3 to 5 minutes once the weights start getting heavy.

Thread Information