Mr. Sparkle is offline Slinabolic Vet / Retired

Chest workout opinions please

This is my first post, so hello
    I was wondering if this was a good idea or not. one one workout session for my chest go heavy, reps at 4-8 sets of 3-4, 3 presses and finish with a fly.

Then the next time i work out my chest go lighter, 12, 12, 10, 8 one 3 presses then a fly.

I have a hard time getting my chest to grow. eat really well and have been working out for 3 years. i am 5 11 at 165 and about 9-10% body fat and hardly ever do cardio.

Thanks
    Drew

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    While i firmly believe in periodization of just about everything in this game (rep range, protein intake, etc) I think you're shooting yourself in the foot by overly micro-periodizing. Just my humble opinion, but if you want your chest to grow, hit it hard in the growth rep range (5-8 for me, usually similar for many people as well) for as long as you continue to get growth out of it. When you hit a wall and stop growing, then it's time to mix it up for a while and then come back to the growth scheme. Though, this being said, one of my favorite chest workouts involves going real low (3-5 range) for the duration of the workout, then finishing off with an exercise (3 sets) that's high rep...i just feel that after doing all that damage and tearing down the muscle tissue, you have to usher in that blood on the way out the door to kickstart the repair, ie growth, stage.

Opinions will vary, but i think the bottom line is to stick with the traditional growth rep range until you fail to see results. Pros and experienced bb's who mix it up across the spectrum of ranges normally have a SOLID foundation already built, at this point they're doing some remodeling, tweaking and such. At 165, you don't yet have that foundation, so my advice would be to get that first.

Thread Information