newbie123 is offline New Member

Routine works for everyone?

I have just started a new routine of working out every muscle twice per week and I am already noticing gains. Everywhere I read they say to work each muscle out once a week, maybe bi's and tri's twice, but everything else once. If I wait an entire week my muscles feel like they've had too much time to rest. Will I be over-working my muscles by doing them twice a week? Before I was doing every muscle once per week and I plateau'd at around 155lbs at 6-8 reps on flat bench. This is my second week doing twice a week and I just did 175lbs at 6 reps. I want to bulk right now, not cut, so is this routine just going to tone me or am I going to gain size? Should I go back to once a week and just do a more intense workout? Anyone else out there see gains off of twice per week? I am doing roughly the same routine as before (maybe 1 less exercise), just resting 3 days instead of 7.

Previous workout example...
    Chest
    Flat Bench - 4 sets (10x10x6-8x10)
    Decline Bench - 4 sets same reps as flat
    Incline Bench - 4 sets same reps as flat
    Crossovers - 3 sets (10x10x6-8)
    Flies - 3 sets same reps as above
    Pull overs - 3 sets x 10 reps

Current workout...
    Same except I don't do the pull overs anymore.

j.j. is offline Associate Member
    Every person on this board has different way to train. No one way is correct, my advice is to find out what works for you. If you are seeing gains and your body is recovering quickly then stick with it, but I (IMO)would throw an extra rest day in there, like maybe a three on-one off-three on. Hope this helps-

peace and happy lifting

babi is offline Associate Member
    well if you work out a muscle twice a week maybe first few weeks you grow then you stop once you reach a peak then you switch back to once a week

dern180 is offline Member
    I say what ever work for u best. If twice a week is better for you stay with that. Myself I just work out one muscle a week. But I train bi's and tri's on one day. And also If I workout a muscle on a monday or tuesday I will train it again on a saturday or sunday. It had alot of time to rest and grow.

For anyone that is a hardgainer, NEVER work a muscle twice a week. You will never grow.

I try to be a hard gainer. I drink my protein shakes, eat 6 meals a day, get plenty of calories, no sugar, some fat (not too much). I am working out hard, and I do get sore. But my soreness goes away after 2 days. I feel like I am ready to hit them again 3 days after my workout. I am going to try working them out every 4 days instead for a while, cause I do agree that 3 doesn't seem like it's enough. But a week just seems way too long. What kind of workout are you guys doing where it takes a week to rebuild? Are you doing more exercises, more reps, whatever it is let me know cause I do want to build it's just not happening with a weeks rest!

illuzions is offline Associate Member
    just be careful...u dont want to overtrain..but hey everyone's body is defferent and u might have found what most people take yrs to find....that it what works best for ur specific body....good luck

I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to give this a shot, if I plateau, I will change back. But for now, I am going to keep doing it until I stop going up in weight.

jbrand is offline Member
    Originally posted by newbie123
    I appreciate all the feedback. I am going to give this a shot, if I plateau, I will change back. But for now, I am going to keep doing it until I stop going up in weight.
    You will plateau just as you would by integrating any particular regimen for a pronlonged period. As stated above, working a muscle twice a week is excessive and neurologically demanding, but there is logic behind planned periods of overtraining. Eastern Bloc athletes have used such training principles for decades, following high volume/high frequency routines by periods of significantly low volume/frequency. Definetely worth a try IMO.

Rowdy is offline New Member
    Don't assume your muscles aren't still recovering just because they aren't sore.

Thread Information