MilitiaGuy is offline Banned

plz comment the number of sets in my workout

legs:15 sets
    chest & back:12 sets
    shoulders:9 sets
    biceps & triceps :8 sets

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    what are your stats?

i typically do 3-4 exercises per group and 4 sets per exercise.

your numbers look pretty good to me, how many days are you working? im using a 5 day split and i love it.

Id like to see an expanded list of what your doing, might as well type it out and save it, many will ask for it more than once along with your stats.

Big Show 23 Guest

Re: plz comment the number of sets in my workout

Originally posted by newbieguy
    legs:15 sets
    chest & back:12 sets
    shoulders:9 sets
    biceps & triceps :8 sets
    Just to offer some consturctive criticism

First IMO 9 sets is too much for a small muscle like the shoulders.The shoulders still get a good workout when you work the chest and back so maybe 5 or 6 set might be more beneficial.I've never done more then 10-12 sets for legs but try 15 sets out for a few weeks,you'll know if it's working for you.And 12 total sets for chest & back and 8 total sets for bis & tris seems very good.

It is safe to assume that you mean 6 sets for chest,6 sets for back.4 sets for biceps & 4 sets for triceps right?

Big Show is right, 9 sets for the shoulders is way to much. Why? Because the shoulders are used in almost every exercise. Isolating them with too many sets will kill your shoulders, leading to overtraining them and eventually injuring them.

chest:4 exercices=12sets
    back: 4 exe =12sets
    shoulders:3 exe=9sets
    biceps:3 exe=8sets
    triceps:3exe=8sets
    legs:4 exe=15sets

i workout 4 days/week
    monday:shoulders &traps&neck
    wednesday:chest&bic
    friday:back&tri
    sat:legs&calfs&forarms

abs day on 2 days off

i do 10-12 reps for warmups
    and 6-8 reps in the workout

i am 6.2" 220 lbs

illuzions is offline Associate Member
    u guys are right ...at my gym most people spend sooooo much time on one bodypart and it takes them over an hour to finish...i just laugh my ass off ...cause im done with 2-3 body parts before they finish one...i guess its the dummy syndrome...in their mindset...more sets = big guy...hahahahah

I think 8 sets for the biceps may be a little to much. Two exercises 3 sets each may be better, but hey, whatever works for you bro. Routine looks pretty good to me, except for the amount of sets for your shoulders... you should definitley change that.

demetri is offline Member
    chest:4 exercices=12sets
    back: 4 exe =12sets
    shoulders:3 exe=9sets
    biceps:3 exe=8sets
    triceps:3exe=8sets
    legs:4 exe=15sets
    I think most people over train their shoulders and biceps. I don't think that you are. I do the same amount of sets for biceps, just only two exercises.

When I first started training I did 12 and didn't grow until I cut it back. Sometimes I'll go a couple of months and only do one exercise for 4 sets.

What I'm curious about is what you do for shoulders. Can you expand a bit more on your shoulder routine? 9 sets doesn't sound like too much to me, but it really depends on what you're doing.

well i do

barbel press behind the neck:3 sets
    barbel press infront the neck:3 sets
    lateral raises :3 sets

Originally posted by demetri

I think most people over train their shoulders and biceps. I don't think that you are. I do the same amount of sets for biceps, just only two exercises.

When I first started training I did 12 and didn't grow until I cut it back. Sometimes I'll go a couple of months and only do one exercise for 4 sets.

What I'm curious about is what you do for shoulders. Can you expand a bit more on your shoulder routine? 9 sets doesn't sound like too much to me, but it really depends on what you're doing.
    well i do

well i do

I think you're doing too many presses. Basically the behind and infront are the same motion. I prefer to use dumbells as the natural movement of your should would have the bar go through your head.

I do the following

4 sets of dumbell shoulder presses (I go heavy and keep reps between 4 to 8)
    4 sets of side lateral raises super setted with bent over side laterals. I like to keep the reps 10 to 12 as this is for shape.
    4 sets of front dumbel raises. Again 10 to 12 reps.

I think more than one pressing motion is too much as you're doing basically the same thing on bench. Rows are also great for the rear head of the delt.

husun is offline Junior Member
    no one does shrugs? what is the difference in muscles worked between upright rows / shrugs / side lateral raises? thanks

Doing a barbell press behind your neck can get you injured pretty badly.

G-S Guest
    2 excercise's, 8 sets is all you'll need for ANY bodypart, IMO....IF YOU ARE DOING YOUR WORKING SETS TO ABSOLUTE FAILURE.

How many of you/us workout, hit 8-10 reps on a particular movement, then rack the weight? ALOT. Pick a weight you can only do 6 times, then FORCE yourself to do it 8-10 times. Have your partner MAKE you do it.

You'll grow.

Originally posted by husun
    no one does shrugs? what is the difference in muscles worked between upright rows / shrugs / side lateral raises? thanks
    I do shrugs or upright rows on leg day. I like working my traps on that day because I rest the bar on them when I do squats. Plus they get pumped when I do standing calves.

Shrugs and upright rows = traps
    side laterals = delts

Granted you get some trap work when you do side laterals.

Thread Information