not12say is offline New Member

Newbee Question ... Nausea on leg days ....

I get nausea after doing legs .... sometimes during . .. Is this a diet problem or a workout problem ... both?

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    There are some (myself included, for right or wrong) that say that's not a diet problem or a workout problem, but a pretty good indicator that you're doing a kick-ass job on leg day. I don't take it too far, as there are those that say if you haven't puked as a result of squats you've never REALLY squatted, but i do think if i rerack the bar after a heavy set of squats and don't need to rest my head on the bar or in my hands to keep from feeling like I AM going to puke, i get a little pissed at myself for not going as hard as i could. That being said, if it's an all the time occurrence, or happens even when you're hitting them light, I'd at the very least keep tabs on it and more likely see a doctor...but since you seem to indicate it only happens on leg day, i'd say you're fine.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    The legs are such a big muscle group, that when suffeciently worked out, their is a build up of lactic acid which causes this nausea. It's nothing to worry about.
    It basically means you can go home and know you've hit the legs a hard as you could.
    Good job

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Pretty much what pheedno said. If you're feeling dizzy you might want to make sure you're breathing properly.

j.j. is offline Associate Member
    I would say if your getting sick then your working that big muscle group right. I get it to the point of puking and sometimes have to take a few minutes to breathe and relax before I hit it again. still between legs and back your working a huge muscle group and it will take a toll if your doing it right. keep up the hard work and soon you will reap the benefits.

timk is offline New Member

Nausea

not sure about nausea but i get dissy as hell...especially after leg press...gotta sit down again nearly every time...also get a feeling like a blood vessle has burst in my right ear!

skid is offline Banned

Re: Nausea

Originally posted by timk
    not sure about nausea but i get dissy as hell...especially after leg press...gotta sit down again nearly every time...also get a feeling like a blood vessle has burst in my right ear!
    I have an inner ear condition that makes me dizzy whenever I work out heavy and my blood-pressure shoots up (especially on leg days) - it has to do with the balance-centers in the inner ear ... if you're feeling pressure, you might have an inner-ear infection, so I'd suggest seeing a Dr. ... PM me if you want more info

gettinthere is offline Associate Member
    hey i get the exact same thing: the nausea after if not during a workout. It took me a long time to figure out what was going on. At first I thought I just had low blood sugar from not eating enough prior to a leg workout, but i was wrong. my theory (which works for my case), is that when you do a leg workout, those muscles are so big that they take on a huge amount of blood, i mean shit, my legs grow several inches around during a workout. What made the nausea almost disappear was waiting atleast 4 hours since my last meal. You can still drink water and stay hydrated, but no big meals for 4 hours. Anyways, try this once and see what happens, it works for me.

BTW, I don't think that the squat till you puke is a logical approach to doing legs. In my case atleast, if i didnt eat for awhile prior to lifting then I would be able to do a much longer and more intense workout without feeling too sick to keep going. I can now go until I can't even squat 185 lbs at the end of a workoutbecause i will be so dead tired. My legs hurt for days and days and that feels great!

not12say is offline New Member
    I guess the big question is whats worse .... eating right and possibly hurling or... eating light and not getting the intensity I need to make constant gains .... the more I eat on leg days the more I want to hurl, the less i eat the less intensity and duration of the workout .... I think I'll try to increase the time interval between sets and see if that helps!.... Thanks for all the replies fellas!

hammerhead is offline Member
    It's lactic acid buildup in the bloodstream. It's okay. I get that way too. You're doing a good job with your legs keep it up! Taking longer intervals between excercises or sets will help but that diminishes the quality of the workout. Stay with it man!

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    i was just about to post a question about this. i have the same problem. i'm glad to find out it is a common occurrence. and about puking in the gym...hehe, i think i'd be really embarrassed...=)

-clocky baby

dtdionne is offline Junior Member
    I know this post is pretty old but i wanted to comment.

I have been working legs, very hard for over a year and have been working out for 4. I have been cutting for about 3 weeks now, which i do every spring and today was leg day. I decided to go light cause im not eating as much. Normally after a warmup I start with squats, 4 sets of 12 at 295, deep and slow then to the leg press and so on. But today i lowered my weight to 220 and after my second set i got extremely light headed, then dizzy, cold sweats, and nausea. It was extremely bad for about 15 min. As it started to get better my upper right teeth started hurting and still hurt 5 hrs later. I am still a little dizzy and pale.

Any ideas? Low test?

PUMP UP is offline Junior Member
    I say keep it up your doing something right.. Just throw up and keep going!!

dtdionne is offline Junior Member
    Well i would agree if i were pushing it! but i wasnt, not even close, in fact i remember asking myself if it was really even worth it to lift that little weight and while i was doing my first set i remember thinking this is rediculious and was considering going up 80 lbs.

i guess my real question would be could really low or high test levels cause this?

another thing that i have noticed latley (last 1.5 months) was my inability to recover quickly and a decline in strength.

Thread Information