solidj55 is offline Member

Calling all runners, need some input.

Here is the deal, I have been running trying to get into shape for the police test and police academy. I have been training to get my 1.5 mile run time down. But now I want more. I want to be able to run 5 miles, I can run 2 right now but its tough because I have been running the 1.5 mile mostly. I need some help. I would like to run 4 days per week. I will be lifting two days per week only and two days per week I will be doing max pushups/situps in a 1-2 minute time frame. I need help with building endurance fast. I know how to get my run times faster but I am not sure how to build my endurance at a faster rate. My legs or body dont give out, my lungs do.

By the way this is what I am thinking of doing.

Monday
    AM(5:30am)-Run
    AM(9:00am)-Lift(complete upper body workout, one exercise for every bodypart, 3 sets per exercise)
    PM(7:00pm)- 1 to 2 minutes of pushups, 1 to 2 minutes of situps

Tuesday

Wednesday
    OFF

Thursday
    AM-(5:30am)-Run
    PM-(7:30pm)-1 to 2 minutes of pushups, 1 to 2 minutes of situps

Friday
    AM(9:00am)-Lift(Lower Body workout)

Not sure on the running distances yet but thats the general layout. I would say my running will be any where from 1.5 miles to 3 miles.

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    What's your one mile time?

solidj55 is offline Member
    To be honest I dont know what my one mile time is, I can run 1.5 in 10minutes and 14 seconds.

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    hehe im still happy i can run 2 miles without dying

anyways

BUMP for real info

Vegas Kid is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you're avg'ing about 6:40 mile which is pretty fast. If you're getting tired, you might want to slow it down a bit around 7min/mile or if you're wanting a 5 mile run then even slower than that. To increase your aerobic endurance try training Fartlek style. It's an interval workout where the runner will interject brief periods of faster running into an easy workout. Just speed up and slow down. If you have light poles on your streets then you can sprint between those every so often.

If you have a specific time or goal you want then let me know and I'll see what I can do.

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    hey i just did a fartlek today for CC practice, ok the best way to build you endurance fast is to do a 10-10-10 workout, it goes like this do your normal warm-up stretch, to 100m dash, jog 100m back, do all this under 60 sec. at 60sec go again, do 5 in a row then take a 3-5min break, then do five more, this is done on the track and the first hundered is balls out and jog back you have the rest of the 60 sec, to recover but go again on 60
    peace dude

Thread Information