Jimmy_Bravo is offline Associate Member

Cool Home Gym vs Public Gym

Two questions here. Just wondering what most of you guys train in, a home gym, or at the public gym. Also, I realize that a home gym costs considerable money, and you would need some room in your house, but if you had the choice which would you rather work out in?
    For me I'de have to say public gym. Simply because at home I'de probally be to tempted to wander upstairs, and keep the couch company.

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    i use both i have a home gym, but i don't have enough room in my cellar for everything so i go to the public gym too.

Ya, I was thinking of investing in a home gym. I was thinking of getting a bench press, power rack, dumbells, multi- machine with lat pull down, pec-dec, and various cables. Also a leg ext/curl machine. That should keep me busy for awhile. I'm guessing this should cost around $2000? I'll have to start pricing it out soon. I pay $40/ month now for my gym membership, so I guess eventually you could consider your home gym an investment.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    my dream is to furnish my future home with a complete gym in the basement or off an addition. It's a good possibility too, since i don't want a whole lot: dumbell rack, power rack, olympic barbell set, and a cable system....i can do without the majority of the machines and whatnot if i have a good cable system. I figure if i buy the dumbells and such used (80lbs is 80lbs new or old) it won't run me too much, certainly (in the long run) less than the costs associated with belonging and traveling to a gym...and who can put a price tag on the convenience and time saved??

EDIT: oh yeah, and a bench
    Last edited by BigGreen; 08-31-2002 at 09:51 PM.

I totally agree with you BigGreen. Also, you can customize everything about the atmosphere of the area to whatever feels more comfortable to you.
    -The type, and noise level of music
    -Who, if anyone, works out with you.
    -Posters, pictures, mirrors, plants, ect, on the walls.
    -And absolutely anything you feel like adding.

kreper69 is offline Associate Member
    yeh bro i bought the benches,and some other machines brand new. i bought a bunch of plates, and bars too. i was doing some work up north, and some woman and son were cleaning out there house. she was getting a divorce,and throwing out amongst other things all his weights, bars,treadmill, and butterfly machine out for trash . i never went curb shopping before, but when i saw this i pulled over and started to load the truck up. it took a few trips, but i got over 3tons of plates from that deal plus what i had already. they weren't all from the same sets, but they were all steel. barbell's, ez-bar, belts the works..

Can't beat that price kreper.

You can build one incredible home gym for about 5,000... overall an excellent investment and it can be so amazing you can start charging your friends to work out there...

superbeast is offline Member
    Both have their advantages.

A home gym is private, so nobody will interrupt your workout. You don't have to travel, so it saves you time. It can also be costly and unless money is no object, you will never have all the equipment you would like to.

A public gym has more equipment, a social atmosphere, and is cheaper. It just depends on whether you like the company or not.

My preference is working out at a public facility. I have a little bit of an ego, and I like the idea that people are watching me when I'm moving ridiculous amounts of weight. Plus, I like to hang out and bullshit after my workouts. For me, ideal is having an elliptical trainer at home so I can do my cardio in the morning and lift at the gym later.

I guess that is about what I have, cause my gym is only 50 ft from my place and I have a key, so I can go when it is private or public.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I prefer a public gym. And the one I go to now is the best I've been in, which motivates me even more when it is time to train.

home gym so morons dont talk to you in the middle of your sets

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I've worked out at home for the last 6 years and I pushed myself as hard as I could @ home! If I dropped a barbell on my chest (which happened) my daughter (who@ the times was like 3 came in and was just giggling her little ass off at me...which really happened). i joined a gym a couple month's and when I go to the gym I know I can get a spot and help and I can push my self that much further! I don't socialize when I go really, just heys and hi's and when I'm done with my workout I talk. Maybe I take it to serious, I know I won't be @ the MR. O anytime ever, but I go and BOMB my body as much as possible, where I'm hindered at home. I pissed away about a grand worth equipment which is now at my fiancee's mom's house.
    Last edited by ripsid; 09-04-2002 at 08:24 AM.

ripsid is offline Senior Member
    I tell you the one thing I hate about not having my stuff @ home anymore is like this last week. My girls' working crazy sick hours and it's limiting my gym time, where if I still had my stuff at home I'd be able to work out more consistantly. I'm hoping to get my workouts in.

Thread Information