ripsid is offline Senior Member

My F*#^ Shoulder, Questions!

Hey guys! I'm having shoulder troubles, basically I do chest on Monday, and my shoulders just kill after bench (front delt), which is my 1st excersize. I mean I'm starting to to do some ok weight (255x4, 245x6, 225x8, 205x10, 185x12) I mean I do 255 4x's but I can do it at least 6 to 8 times. but after my shoulder kills! My pecs are not that big and I'm bombing my chest with some heavier weight so I can get 'uge! My shoulders will bother me for days and then it's f'em all up again on monday!
    What to do!? I'm really frustrated!

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    How do you warm up? Do you just run into the gym benching 255? Shoulders take a lot of warm up time for many people. Its really easy to fuck them up, too. If you aren't letting them heal, and continue to bench when it hurts, you're obviously not doing very much good. I have never, ever had a shoulder problem in my workouts. I spend a whole day on shoulders, in addition to a day for chest. Yet, my right, rear delt will kill me just from bagging grocieries. I am haunted from carrying an amp with one hand that shouldn't of been carried with one hand (if that made any sense). Are you going too heavy on your bench? Do you have previous injuries? Do you exercise your delts, at all(including rear and middle)? These are all things to take into consideration. I guess I haven't really helped you at all. My bad...

I stretch, then do warm up sets with like 135. I've never had any shoulder problems except like bercitus and that's it. when I do my militaries the only time they hurt is when I do them the day after I do militaries. I guess maybe I should just take the bench press out and do them every other week? I don't know that's what is so f'n frustrating! I don't want to take anytime off but I guess maybe I have too. Crap!
    SID...........

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    ripsid, where is the pain? Actually in the front delt? What kind of pain is it? Do you bench with your shoulder blades pulled right back and in or with rounded forward shoulders?

I would suggest you get someone experienced to look over your form whilst you bench and check this out.

Maybe try pyramiding up instead of down just to see if this helps? I tore my pec and wouldn't wish it for the world on anyone else....

fLgAtOr - that amp sounds like it was a big one!! A Marshall I hope, lol (that's my surname)

def

fLgAtOr is offline Anabolic Member
    Actually, its a Crate 2 X 12". These things are loud as shit. Couldn't afford are Marshall tube, so whats the point of buying a Marshall valstate, right? Just a name...no tube sound...

As for the shoulder, like def said, get it checked out by someone who knows what they are doing. Shoulders are just plain weird like that. Personally, I am biased to pyramiding up rather than starting heavy...IMHO, sounds liek an ivitation for injury.

Best of Luck...

I've always had great form, but maybe I'm pressing too hard to gain weight and bench weight. I'm (obviously by the pain) using too much front delt in my press'.
    The pain is front center of the delt and it ruins my w/o's!
    Do you think maybe doing DB's instead of benching would work?
    I've been going heavy to light (Big Kev's workout), and seeing gains.
    Thanks Bro's!
    SID

Aragorn is offline Senior Member
    Check out this thread for strengthening those rotator cuffs. Baseball players swear by them to give them endurance 162 games a year so they work.

http://www.anabolicreview.com/vbulle...threadid=28717

Aragorn

TheGame826 is offline Member
    maybe you should lower your bench weight, or maybe just stick with dumbbells. or maybe forget about bench all together and do incline. well either way your lifting way to heavy if its hurting. to me it sounds like your stretching the tendons. just my 2 cents.

Thanks guys! I do some of those rotator cuff exercises, I'll just have to concentrate alot more on executing them.
    As far as inclines go, I've been doing dumbbell inclines, so I guess i'll have to concentrate more on those and do a shitload of pushups!
    Thanks again Bro's!
    SID.........

dumbells101 is offline Senior Member
    I agree with rotator training. Try a 5 minute hard bike ride before you stretch, warm up your rotators, stretch and them bench. If you've always had pain then you may just have to switch to dumbell work. If your pain is purely muscular though I believe it's either your delts are too tight or they are such a dominant force in your pressing that they're doing more work than you pecs, in which case you'll want to add more pec isolation or pre-exhaust your delts and bench lighter. There are other things but this is a start to help you determine your focus.

Thread Information