dirty bird is offline New Member

routine for a young kid

I need to ask everybody for a little help. My cousin is wanting to work out and hit the weights. I don't have a problem with it. He's only 14 and I don't know what kind of routine would be right for him. He is a small kid like 130 lbs. He sees me starting to get bigger and has been asking me to help him get started. He wants to put on some weight and I don't know which supplements if any he should take. Any help would be appreciated. One other thing just so nobody tells me, I know he is way to young for gear and I would not dare risk his health. thanx

dirty bird

BELLICOSE is offline Banned
    i started lifting when i was 14. Split up bodyparts and did one a week.
    If you can, get him doing squats, deadlifts, and bench as a base of the routine. Then add assistance exercises.

Tell him he needs to eat 6 meals a day to pack on weight. He might need a weight gainer if he has a metabolism like i did. A multivitamin wouldn't be a bad idea either.

Teach him good form. I was 14 and 125lbs only 3 years ago and remember it like it was yesterday.

Muscular_Mike is offline Junior Member
    This is what i give my younger clients: (im a PT)Each lasting 45-60 mins.
    Mon- Chest and Tris
    Tues- Cardio/Abs/Calves
    Wed-Back/Biceps
    Thrs-Shoulders/quick cardio
    Fri-Legs/abs
    Sat and Sun- REST
    *Eat about 6-7 meals a day, make sure he has protein and carbs. For a youngster like him i wouldnt do any no or low carb dieting.

Muscular_Mike is offline Junior Member
    drink extreme amounts of water also****************

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    IMO.. since he is a beginner at 14 yrs old, I'd say the most he should train per week is 4 days. However, an eod training routine would probably work fine (comes out to 3 1/2 per week). As far as bodyparts go, switching back and forth between upper & lower body each session would give ample time for recovery. Have him stick to basic movements like Bellicose previously mentioned. 2 sets per excercise for upper body and 3 sets per excercise for lower should work fine in the beginning. Make sure he stretches before, during, and after training - and also incorporates warm-up sets into the routine. 12 sets total for each workout shouldn't be too much since he'll be training several bodyparts each session. As far as supps, I don't think at the age of 14 that he really needs to take any except an MRP or some protein powder. The previous suggestions are just my opinion, hope that helps you out.

dirty bird is offline New Member
    thanks for all your advice. I'm going to sit down with him and get him started whenever he's sure that he's ready.

dirty bird

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i started at 19 seriously and i made 1 mistake i didnt start out building the foundation. it was years later when i built it and i wish i could go back and start over by building it in the beggining. i would be a monster now
    by building a foundation i mean the basics
    monday---chest/shoulders/tris
    bench
    flat db fly
    front military presses
    side db raises
    floor presses
    push downs

wednesday----back/traps/bis
    pull downs
    full or partial deads
    bar shrugs
    straight bar curls
    db curls

friday---legs
    squats
    straight leg deads

this is a frame or foundation builder all begginers should do this foe the at least first year they train. my step son is 14 and he is doing this with great results

Thread Information