Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Legs are sore...in a good way

Well, as some of you know, I really only started training legs about 6 months ago. They always looked decent because of years of playing hiockey, I just didn't really prioritize leg growth. Since that time I have been religiously trainig them and they have been responding well. I'm not naturally super strong and my primary focus is BBing so my concentration is on shaping. Last night I switched up my leg program for a change. Now, I'm a tad embarrased by the weights I used as there is now a powerlifting forum here and the weights these guys and gals move is astounding. But, here it goes:

squats 12 sets
    135 x 30 reps
    185 x 20 reps
    225 x 15 reps
    275 x 15 reps
    315 x 12 reps ( 6 sets)
    225 x 10 reps (2 sets)

Reps were performed very slowly, very deeply and quads were flexed (flaired) during a pause at the top of the movement. Believe me, I was feeling nauseous at the end and was totally spent. I finished with Romainian deads (for hamstrings):

225 x 12 reps (6 sets)

Again, focusing on feeling the muscle, with a very slow and deliberate movement. Anyway, it worked...my legs are just starting to kill me. If you wanty to try this routine out, please do and let me know how you made out.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Excellent work Pete. And about the weight, bro you are in the 300+ pound weight for reps on your squats...that is some serious poundage trust me how many people do you know that can squat that properly by going slow and deep. Don't sell yourself short. And on top of that all remember you are a BodyBuilder not a Powerlifter.

Like I said looking great bro..by the way love the new avatar. Keep on hitting those legs and you will blow the competition away in that show you are doing next year.

Big Al is offline Retired Moderator
    holy smoke.......that is a lot of sets, its a wonder you can walk.

Its legs on Friday, I may give that one a miss though lol.

Originally posted by Big Al
    holy smoke.......that is a lot of sets, its a wonder you can walk.
    Well, the gym is on the bottom floor of the Sports Stadium I belong to, and after training I took the elevator up one floor as there was NO WAY I was gonna try to tackle the stairs!

defdaz is offline Associate Member

Amazing number of sets at 315 Pete - were they are for 12 reps?

Daz

Originally posted by defdaz

Amazing number of sets at 315 Pete - were they are for 12 reps?

Daz
    Def....last two sets of 315 were the hardest (5th and 6th) and I managed 10 and 8 respectivly. I just finished telling Silverfox that sets 11 and 12 with 225lbs were just as difficult as the previous 6 with 315lbs...I barely finished the last set and had trouble racking the bar (legs shaking so bad). My face was red for about 2 hours afterwards and I had to wait 10-15 minutes before tackling romainian deads because I was nauseous. BTW...I should also mention that I am not currently on cycle and have been off for 7 weeks.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Pete235

I should also mention that I am not currently on cycle and have been off for 7 weeks.
    damn bro..that makes that, that much more impressive. Going to turn it up myself tomorrow when I do legs. You bastards are going to kill me one day!

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    LMAO @ Shredz!

V. well done Pete - after just 6 months thats an awesome workout.

def

babi is offline Associate Member
    i did legs today(not my strongest point)and i felt so sick and is those squats that make me feel sick but i guess no pain no gain .one day i will try that leg work out that you posted here pete but i would maybe have to be on roids though

Assassinator is offline Associate Member
    Is 12 sets really that healthy ???
    It seems too much

I only do 4 sets for squats, starting off light and building my way up by the 4th set, you think i should start doing 6 sets ?

My routine looks like this.

SQUATS X 4
    HACK SQUATS X 3
    LEG EXTENSIONS X 3
    CALF RAISES X 4
    HAMSTRING CURLS X 3

durbin22 is offline Member
    Great work Pete. I hope to get there some day. I have not been doing squats in a couple of months. I hurt my back doing them and am hesitant about going back due to fear of another injury. I will probably start off light and work my way back up.

Wimmpy is offline Associate Member
    Couldn't dream of doing that many sets! I like to blast with heavy short sets. This has worked good for me. But great job getting through all of that!

Originally posted by Assassinator
    Is 12 sets really that healthy ???
    It seems too much
    Good call and you make a valid point bro. I don't plan on making this a regular routine. I usually do the following:

squats: 2 warm up sets, 4 working sets
    hacks: 4 sets
    lunges: 3 sets
    leg extentions (high reps) 3 sets

I just did that workout to change up and shock the muscle into growth, it's good to do that to your body every once in a while as it begins to build a tolerance to the stres we put it under. That's why it's also good to change routines every several months.

BTW...my legs are STILL a little sore!

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    12 sets for large muscle group like legs in not very many, unless your doing HIT style training. Personally if you look at all the tops guys who are know for have dense muscle and very "hard look" most were high volume trainers, Servo O(60's-70's) Haney, Coleman, Rhul, all working in higher end of total sets.

Thread Information