xplicit is offline Member

Need some motivation to love the gym again

I been going 2 years now and maybe it happens to everyone who works out, but i really dread going there. I still dont miss days cause ill regret not going, but i do feel like im getting lazy when it comes to going and working out at the gym. I have to take the train to get there, i dont have a work out buddy anymore cause our schedules are different and a few people i know left my gym. Also i started school a month ago and im shot from work, i been doing construction and i feel it is making me stronger and a nice little excise in it self. My cycle ended 2 months ago and i dont plan on doing another one as of now. Its getting a little colder out and darker earlier everyday which really is killing the some motivation i do have for going i also took off a week about 3 weeks ago. Back to my point lol, did anyone experience this before after loving working out for so long have this dislike for it all of a sudden? Anyone ideas on how to start enjoying it again? I guess i should start by remebering the stuff i do liek about it, but any other advice would be very helpful. Thanks fellas

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    You say you still feel guilty for not going. My suggestion is to take a week off...by the end, you'll know whether or not that guilt is a manifestation of missing something you love (somewhere, deep inside), or self-imposed as a result of how you "think" you should feel.

Don't get me wrong, i'm not one of the guys who pretends to love leg day, i HATE it...but i'm willing to suffer through something i hate to attain something I love (phsyical and mental results, the progress, etc). But, the day there isn't some aspect of it to love, I'm taking an extended leave, and if the love is lost, it's lost, I won't subject myself to something that doesn't offer some aspect to embrace and look forward to. That goes for everything in my life.

But, to cut short on my meanderings, i would guess you're just burnt (maybe even overtrained) and need to step away for a bit...if anything else to see if the love is still there.

I use to really like going, i took the week off 3 weeks back and since then i have been like i dont wanna go lol. I love seeeing results i love knowing im looking and feeling better when all is said and done its just being there is is getting to me. I really do think i may be a little burnt and i hope as winter comes by and i get my car soon maybe find a new workout buddy ill find the love again.

Tatt2D is offline New Member
    I think you might just be overtraining. Wether you relieze it or not you might just be plum wore out! Sounds like you got alot of things going on right now- School and the construction work not to mention having to take a train to and from the gym, and losing your partners.
    I know dealing with all that would tend to start taking a toll on me. Might consider taking an extended break of more than just a week to get the mental side settled down and back into a groove.

I understand i just hate missing too many days. Ill really regret not going. I also am scared i might take off too much time and get lazy and not work as hard or go as often as i use to. I am just gonna deal wit it for know i hope when i get a car things will change.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    GET OFF THE COUCH YOU FAT FU*K!

How's that for some motivation?

Make sure you measure your overtraining.

Take at least a week (depending on your level of overtraining) and just eat and sleep. Afterwards you should be more physically and mentally prepared to hit it hard. In the future do not train over 8 weeks without a 1 week break of rest and recovery so you do not burn out again.

Addisonic Overtraining Symptom's: Named after the disease it's symptoms resemble the same effects that more often occur in older or advanced athletes: overtired feeling but no increase in sleep needs, no weight loss, usually low resting pulse rate, normal metabolic rate, higher blood pressure, normal temperature and no psycological changes.

Basedowic Overtraining Symptoms: Also named after the disease with symptoms of high thyroid functions, tiring easily, reduced appetite and weight loss, needing more sleep, a fast resting pulse rate, higher temperature and blood pressure, slower reaction time and inability to perform skill movements. Most common in strength and explosive athletes. It also occurs in younger athletes, less advanced athletes and easily excitable ones.

Avoiding Overtraining[list=1][*]Develop a schedule that does not stress you.[*]Develop a rational training program.[*]Conform your workouts to cycle taining principles.[*]Vary your training methods.[*]Sleep 8-10 hours per night.[*]Follow sound nutrition practices.[*]Take one or two naps a day. As little as 20 minutes is all it takes.[*]Monitor blood pressure and other symptoms of overtraining.[*]Let logic - not ego - rule your training.[*]After workouts whirlpool affected muscles then massage them vigorously.[/list=1]

Hope this helps!

Thanks a lot for the info, i appreciate it. Thats the first time i ever heard about taking a week off every 2 months. I guess it makes sense and it is good to take an extended break here and there, its just i feel so quilty if i go lol. I think i will take a week off every 2 months cause my body is taking a beaten beaten work and the gym. Thanks again warrior

alevok Guest
    try another gym, new people, new machines, new environment, you get excited. I switch gyms every 3-4 month to keep it fun, and when you come back to your old gym, people really notice your progress and got jealous, it is way too much fun to see their envy face.

Thread Information