Canes4Ever is offline Banned

Question Hypertrophy Specific Training, what do you think about it?

Saw this from Bryan Haycock of www.thinkmuscle.com and wondered what you guys make of it.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/about.html

Would appreciate some feedback.

Bump...come on guys tell me what you think.

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    hold on im not a fast reader

DevilsDeity is offline Anabolic Member
    i hate when i read something and not understand it cause its so damn wordy and dances around the point

lemme see if i got this right instead of doing 9 sets in one day
    you spread it out over 3 days(every other day)?

Originally posted by DevilsDeity
    i hate when i read something and not understand it cause its so damn wordy and dances around the point

lemme see if i got this right instead of doing 9 sets in one day
    you spread it out over 3 days(every other day)?
    Thanks for giving it a try DD !

It seemed a bit wordy too me too, and I lost some of my concentration while reading it. What do any other VETS and Mods think?

Fish is offline Junior Member
    I'm considering this but would like to see what others who have tried it think about it.

llbeastcd is offline Associate Member
    LI, NY... where it seems like everyone is on gear.
    The newest talk talk over at MFW huh, Cannes? SUT and Lyle goin back and forth... gotta love it.

I have been reading up HST. What do you think? Worth a try? If you plan on doing it, post your results here. I might give it a whirl in the fall.

Originally posted by llbeastcd
    The newest talk talk over at MFW huh, Cannes? SUT and Lyle goin back and forth... gotta love it.

I have been reading up HST. What do you think? Worth a try? If you plan on doing it, post your results here. I might give it a whirl in the fall.
    that is where I 1st found out about it, at MFW. How do you know about MFW bro? Did you used to post there?

Yes Lyle and SUT are nutzo, I don't even read it anymore its just a personality cult over there anymore.......boring.

Used to post there (under a different name), then switched to lurk, now just laugh when the crossposts make their way onto alt.sport.weightlifting, where SUT seems to have trolled over to. I should just stick to this board and forget usenet alltogether. It has become such petty shit. But... there are quite a few that know their shit over there.

Are you gonna try HST?

Originally posted by llbeastcd
    Used to post there (under a different name), then switched to lurk, now just laugh when the crossposts make their way onto alt.sport.weightlifting, where SUT seems to have trolled over to. I should just stick to this board and forget usenet alltogether. It has become such petty shit. But... there are quite a few that know their shit over there.

Are you gonna try HST?
    Geeeesh, how long ago did you post at MFW? What was your name? I went be CanesNFins, and now if I post I use Canes4Ever.

Most of the old regulars from ASW have gone now, they post over on Deepsquatters forums on his website.

I am almost through with the UseNet too, too much spam, and like I said, the cult of personalities just has taken over.

testprop is offline Associate Member
    I dont like it, I think lifting heavy and hard is best esp when on juice

take a look at big kevs workout, thats how a hardcore workout looks like!

Thanks for the responses bros, I may or may not incorporate some of this into my routine.

zwarrior99 is offline Junior Member
    HST rules it works. Just follow it exactly as it tells you and you will grow.

Bump this...

I wanna start HST in November... any "new" or updated opinions on it?

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    llbeastcd! How's it going bro?!

I've been over to HST and in some areas it makes a lot of sense but in others I think it doesn't.

For instance, a lot of the theory is based upon a forced progression - you start off really light and at the end of each cycle you should be up near your maximum weights for the reps (someone tell me if I've got this wrong).

The idea behind this is that the bottom line principle for muscle growth is progressive resistance (or overload) training.

The problem as I see it is that they've taken the idea of this progression too far - e.g. by starting light and upping the weight each workout - wow, look progressive resistance training! My weights are going up each workout so how's that for progression!?!

Sadly that's not the correct kind of progression. They seem to have misunderstood the term.

Progressive overload training is meant to indicate that as your muscles get stronger you increase the weights you are using to compensate for this new found weight and so the workouts you do are still overloading the muscles.

What I'm trying to say is that the progression in the weight that you use comes AS A RESULT of hypertrophy and strength gains and is not the cause - the cause (trigger) of muscle growth is the overload itself.

I think HST works because a lot of the time whilst on it you won't be overtraining. Far too many people overtrain without realising it - they don't realise just how limited our recuperative abilities are, and that as you get bigger it takes longer and longer to recuperate for a given overload.

I think that Bryan knows this and so has designed a workout cycle that will place the trainee in a high overload position only infrequently so that they can grow and has used this 'forced progression' principle to give it a fancy theory.

Fair play to him, if it works it works. Who really cares how?!

Just my 2 penny's worth, and all entirely my own opinion and you know what opinions are like!!

Daz
    Last edited by defdaz; 09-14-2002 at 03:43 AM.

Thanks Def. I agree with you on a lot of points. The thing that I'm struggling with is the idea of 1-2 sets per session for each body part. I can't imagine getting a good pump with that and would have to do a couple of warm-up sets first.

The program in itself is a periodization program where you are really going to failure once within each microcycle. I can live with that. But, during the 15 rep cycle which is 2 weeks, you start out at 15 reps at about 60-65% intensity. That's kinda interesting and I'll have to force myself to stay low intensity which I'm not used to.

The program also calls for higher frequency of training sessions, doing a whole body workout every other day. Haycock claims that we really only spend about 36-48 hours after the workout "growing" while the rest of the week you are catabolic. The ideas of mechanical load, progressive load, frequency, and deconditioning are what's at the core of HST.

It's just the relatively low-volume aspects of the workout that I find most foreign. (Haycock does suggest, that someone that is using AS, "might" be able to go with a higher volume workout each session)

I'm gonna give it a whirl in November and report my results.

Thanks for your input.

TRIPLE HHH is offline New Member
    Jesus guys keep it simple. I contumplated suicide 5 times in the process of reading this thread.

defdaz is offline Associate Member
    LOL, exactly dude.

My new training system is based on these steadfast principles:

Train hard but don't overtrain,
    Eat loads of high quality food,
    Supplement with extra protein and creatine,
    Drink lots of water and
    Get lots of sleep.

I'm going to call it the JG-KIS System in honour of TRIPLE HHH - the Jesus Guys - Keep It Simple System.

Daz

TRIPLE HHH is offline New Member
    Yeah!!!! Fuckin right Daz!!!! You the man!!! Thats the same damn thing i do. Screw all that other experimental shit. My philosophy, even though it might be Homer Simpson like, is if i dont understand it the first time i read it its just not worth knowing? Hence im not trying it at the gym? What im doing isnt broke so im not trying to fix it.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    I don't like how you work out every muscle group every other day. I think that's not enough rest inbetween.

Other than that, everything else seems okay. I would stick with 70-85% maximum with short rest periods in between sets.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Keep on switching up your training. Give new theories and principles a try and see how they work. Shock your system. Try it.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    I'm on my 2nd week of 5's with HST. After dieting for an extended period, I wanted to put on some lean muscle and came accross HST. i used to be around 29% bf and, through training hard and a good diet, have brought myself down to 19%. While on HST, i saw my "cuts" starting to come out, especially through the beer belly. =D my arms are definitely getting bigger, but they are getting more and more cut (even while eating more calories), i use calipers to check the fat over the biceps and a tape measure to measure the actual bicep. I wont post my numbers here because I have some REAL small arms. lol. i'm happy with what i've gained so far, and i think i'll try another cycle of HST. one thing to remember is, dont get caught up in the numbers of sets/reps, just work out hard, as hard as you can.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I'm with warrior on this one...

I'm a bit into the HST routine and it IS working, no question about that. However, i have to say that it may not be because of the virtues of HST, per se, but rather because i've spent the last three or four years training to failure on every single set i've done during that time...no exception (other than warmups). Now, this whole routine (stimulating vs. annihilating) may presently be just what i need to mix it up and make some strides for a bit.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    basically, you need to just try it and see if it works out for you, everyone's different so it might work very well for some people, but not so well for others. but hey, it definitely cant hurt you, so why not

Thread Information