dumbells101 is offline Senior Member

Who uses a Log book

Keeping records is the cornerstone to progressing. Who uses a log book for exercise and diet and what kind.

MarkyMark is offline Member
    To somebody serious DB is correct ... a log book is an invaluable tool in your progress ...
    and to answer your question ( yes )
    and I make my own ...

But to somebody that may come to the gym once and awhile and may take months off at any given time .... foreget a log book ... til your serious ...

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator
    What DB and double M suggested is gospel if you want to be successful. Unfortunately I only keep a diet log (excel program) at present. I don't use a training log because I train instinctivly...but the real value of the log is not so much planning but being able to refer back to it in the future and make comparisons. For that reason I really have to incorporate the use of a log.

Agreed Pete ... writing every set and so forth ... to me its a waste of time ... I encourage a general record ...no more ...otherwise it becomes SO burdensome you won't keep it current ...

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    I don't record all my progress in a log, but I do keep about 4 or 5 differant workouts on hand that I change every 8 weeks or so.

MJ

Improving is offline Anabolic Member
    Good thread DB101!

I use a log book for both training and diet. And I am VERY specific about EVERYTHING. I write every weight, rep, set, etc.

As for diet, I believe very specific tracking is incredibly valuable. Again, Im very specific. Every gram of: protein, fat, sat fat, sod, fiber, carb, sugar, and of course every calorie (dont forget cals from supplemental sources). If nothing else, keeping a constant tab on things like this makes staying on your diet MUCH easier, as it ads that extra structure and discipline so necessary for successful dieting.

Anyone reading this thread having trouble in the gym or in the mirror should take this to heart.

Improving

Oh - I just write all of it down in notebooks - nothing fancy.

EXCESS is offline Retired Moderator
    I write a new workout routine every few weeks and I'm always challenging myself to work harder, so I find logging everything pretty repetitive since I plan in advance. It works for me, but I understand why log books help.

Iwan2bsolid2 is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by MarkyMark
    To somebody serious DB is correct ... a log book is an invaluable tool in your progress ...
    and to answer your question ( yes )
    and I make my own ...

But to somebody that may come to the gym once and awhile and may take months off at any given time .... foreget a log book ... til your serious ...
    ^ Marky, I think you mean Valuable no?
    Yes, Definately dedicated peeps should log everything from diet to training to their gains and progress. Keep track of the size of your muscles too, You should always be growing- unless you compete alot. I log all my shit since I've dedicated myself to this lifestyle.

Billy Boy is offline Retired Moderator
    I keep a log for both diet and training.I don,t understand how you can be successful otherwise.The diet is great as it allows you to tweak it and when you get the cals/protein/carbs right you can look back at that in a few months say when you are leaning out and the basics are already there.Same with training I always record what I did with reps and weight.its great to look back on and you can see where you are improving and the weak spots.I just a couple of A4 red & black books I draw some lines and there you go!

Tobey is offline Retired IRON CHEF Mod

I have always used a log book

I have always used a log book, but I have to be honest that here lately I have let that slid somewhat. I can look back on my book and determine what gave my good workouts and what gave me fantstic workouts. I also used it to tell when I have come to a plataeu in my training. ( You know lifting the same weight for to lone a period of time without realizeing it) Anyway, this post has reminded me of my erorr.
    IC

Originally posted by Iwan2bsolid2

^ Marky, I think you mean Valuable no?
    I think he means that you can't place a value on it's importance.

anyway,

I actually plan my workouts/meals in advance, and at times even set timers to remind me where I am during the day. Crazy how dependant you get on tools that are so pivital to progress once you really become accustom to using them.

TheGame2001 is offline Banned

No log book used by me.

I see folks in the gym that spend more time writing than they do lifting. *LOL*

Pick it up, put it down enough times and you will grow.
    Tomorrow pick something heavier up......Its not rocket science...

Once you learn how to eat, why write it down? eat good clean food. Again, not rocket science....

Pete235 is offline Retired Moderator

Re: ..

Originally posted by TheGame2001

Once you learn how to eat, why write it down? eat good clean food. Again, not rocket science....
    Agreed TG2001 but I believe that a lot of guys/gals on the board are still hitting their stride when it comes to finding out works for them (something you've obviously mastered based on your pics ) and for those people keeping a detailed log will help them find out what does and what doesn't work. I'm comfortable enough in the gym that I can train instinctivly (after 15 years I had better be able to do that ) but since I've only considered competeing in the last several years I have really had to research proper diet and keeping a daily log helps...and it really doesn't take that much time. I'm genetically pre-disposed to carry excess BF and it's very difficult for me to lean out, so I need all the help I can get. Not disagreeing, just pointing out my standpoint.

P

Agree

I can agree with that......good point. Diet book makes more sense than log book but can see beginner using both.

When dieting for contest I do keep a diet journal.....

How do you know where you're going if you don't know where you are. How can you shop if you don't have a list. There are valid points in both for and against logging, but I don't suggest planning your workout when you get to the gym. You should have done that already. However if you're benching and your plan is 8 reps but today you do 10 for the first time. Then that's worth noting. Also I don't remember how many reps I did last week on every set of every exercise. My log is for preparation. not filling out during training. That would like eating and then writing it down. Plan, write it down and then do it, making notes as the day or workout goes on.

Show me a person who does not keep a schedule for appointments, etc and I'll be able to show you a person who is most likely unorganized.

Well i've won 11 shows without knowing week to week how many reps I did last week and so forth.
    And many times I decide when I get to the gym what muscle I will work. Its called instinctive training.
    Lift long enough and you figure out how to lift and don't really need a book......

Beginners maybe I can see. To each his own though.

Re: ...

Originally posted by TheGame2001
    Well i've won 11 shows without knowing week to week how many reps I did last week and so forth.
    As Chris Farley would say as Matt Foley "Ladee Freakin da" LOL

Really bro that's awsome but you're an exception...not the norm.

I don't think that's what "Instinctive training" is all about rather it is the ability to listen to your body and gauge how it responds to the training stimuli and then adapt accordingly.
    Last edited by dumbells101; 10-31-2001 at 10:00 AM.

k

Ok, keep me informed of how to train. *lol* Ladeee freakin da....

oh yaaa

My gym owner won 2 shows last year without a log book.
    His son won 2 shows without a log book either.

I agree beginners should use log books,not arguing that but eventually you learn how to lift, what works for you, what doesn't.

Bro, no disrespect to you or they, but we're talking about the norm not the few exceptions. Agreed?

hmm

Well specify exception. I think once someone has lifted a while then they no longer need log books to know how to lift. If you decide to do db's then pick a db and if its too light grab something heavier, too heavy grab something lighter.

I guess we agree to disagree. I can see where a log book helps someone thats new to lifting but I think once you have lifted a while then you know what to lift without a book.

Either way , if someone uses a log book thats fine, some folks in our gym use them, i've just never seen the point.

Now a log of your diet getting ready for a contest is useful.

Peace~

dane26 is offline Retired Moderator
    i don't use a log book. i know how hard to push my body, and having a log wouldn't help me. i remember how much weight i did and how many reps i did it for.

Whoa

And all on your own DANE?

Good post Dane! I do the same thing myself....

Well I find it funny that somebody would rather try and correct my statement than help the person asking the question ......huh

Thanks DB101 I knew somebody would know its definition....

Mighty Joe is offline Anabolic Member
    The best log book is still the mirror!

Abbaddon is offline New Member
    Originally posted by MarkyMark
    Agreed Pete ... writing every set and so forth ... to me its a waste of time ... I encourage a general record ...no more ...otherwise it becomes SO burdensome you won't keep it current ...
    I usually write in my journal at home after the workout. I try to work out extremely intensely and instinctively. I have found that writing stuff down at the gym takes away from that a little bit so I wait till I get home and try to write down as much as possible there. As for a nutrition journal I pretty much daily try to track my protein intake for each day but do not write down everything I eat. I have been doing this for so long that I really dont have a taste for much other than proteins(fish,chicken, steak, etc.) and the only carbs I can even stand putting in my mouth are veggies especially brocolli , rice, and potatoes. Even with that I sometimes have to remind myself to up my carb intake. Some people have trouble staying away from carbs. My GF usually has to say hey all youve had is eggs and steak today you better have some rice.

Now for the beginner that has plans of being serious you should keep track of everything as much as possible to have reference to go back on. I preach this to all my clients as much as possible especially the diet log because as we all know nutrition so much more important than most even realize and is the cause of many of the failures that people who hire personal trainers have.

Thread Information