xplicit is offline Member

How do i build strenght?

I feel like i been doing the same weight for months and im starting to see people pass me up in the weight im doing. I dont care too much cause im happy with my body which is the most important part but i would liek to increase my strength. Besides steroids what can i do, what foods, what workouts build streght quicker?

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    how many reps are you doing these days?

I seem to add weight alot and im doing normally 4 sets 12 reps and the last set its total failure normally.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    That is a big question that would require a huge personal consultation.

If you are looking to increase strength vs muscular endurance or hypertrophy then train in the 80% to 120% one rep max range as a generalized rule. Use free weight compound movements as the bread and butter of your workouts.

Heavy load, low reps, high number of sets, slow tempo, plenty of rest in between sets.

Read Tudor Bompa's Serious Strength Training.
    Last edited by Warrior; 10-12-2002 at 08:07 PM.

xplicit is offline Member
    Originally posted by Warrior
    That is a big question that would require a huge personal consultation.

If you are looking to increase strength vs muscular endurance or hypertrophy then train in the 80% to 120% one rep max range as a generalized rule. Use free weight compound movements as the bread and butter of your workouts.

Heavy load, low reps, high number of sets, slow tempo, plenty of rest in between sets.

Read Tudor Bompa's Serious Strength Training.

Im not exactly sure what you mean ?

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    120% of your 1rm? i assume that's only eccentric right?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by brad fuel
    120% of your 1rm? i assume that's only eccentric right?
    Sort of. Working at 120% could be many different training methods.

Knowing you can not perform this in a correct form and controlled fasion does not mean you should not start the CNS and mental adaption to help the physical. This aids in strength building by preparing you to work with much heavier loads.

Examples of how you can do this is with forced reps, limited range by only doing a 4 inch bench (Power Factor Training) or as you said negatives/eccentric movements... all should be aided by a spotter.

Heavy loads like this can tax the CNS system so doing negatives or forced reps should not be performed religiously or overtraining can develop, especially in beginner athletes.

PFT: Unracking above 100% of a one rep max and reping out 2-4 in short range movements, the first 4-6 inches is a good way to build up the CNS to accept larger loads.

Many think bodybuilding/strength training is purely physical but much of it is a mental adaption too. And working above 100% helps build this.
    Last edited by Warrior; 10-13-2002 at 02:19 AM.

Thread Information