xplicit is offline Member

Ok thinking of a new work out routine would like help and advice

Ok i am 5 10 178 bf?? working out a little over 2 years. I have changed my routine from 5 days to 3 days a week. I really cant tell if i feel any difference cause i had to reduce the days because i got a job, which is construction i do that 3 days a week. I go usually mon(arms) wed(shoulders/back) sat(chest). I dont do legs i know im going to get flamed for that, and i walk about 30-45 minutes a day, 6 days a week.

Now what i want to do since im starting to buy into how imporant rest is, letting your muscles recouprate, and its time for me to do more intense cardio .... is to spread out the days even further. Im thinking about finishing up every body part including legs in a 2 week span. I would go work out either 3,4,or 6 times in a 12 day period.

3 day plan (2 muscles a day)
    I would go on every 4th day, One day will be shoulders/biceps the second day will be legs/chest the third will be triceps/back.
    I think this one is best for giving me the most days to rest and then i can work out on each muscle at 100 percent, you grow of the gym and you dont get more out of the gym then this. I can do cardio on my off days 3 times a week for an hour

4 day plan (2 muscles a day twice/ 2 days one muscle)
    This is good cause i can focus completley on the 2 muscles i feel i need the most improvement on and still have good rest periods in between.i can do cardio 2 times a week on my off days one hour a week

6 day plan (one muscle a day every other day)
    This is good cause i can focus on each muscle by them self and proably put more energy into that body part then if i had it on a day where i was doing 2 muscles. I would be going tecnically 3 days a week like i am now but i would be working out eah muscle twice a month as opposed to 4 times a month like i do now, so i still get decent rest days. I would have to do cardio after every muscle workout for an hour so it would be 3 days a week.

Ok so give me some advice and opioions on what to do. I appreicate it thanks a lot.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I am fast becoming a FIRM believer, hell, even ardent zealot, when it comes to the whole muscle confusion principle; though i feel compelled to add that i think the term confusion might not be the best, as it implies the lack of a systematic, well-plotted approach. However, that being said, research "muscle confusion theory" and you'll get the idea. Rather than running down what you'll find on a simple google or yahoo search doing so, i will say that my advice would be to use all 3 of your outlined approaches over the coming months. Me, personally, i like to use a routine for 8-10 weeks before dramatically switching it up, and within that time period even, i do provide for some variety (though there ALWAYS exists a methodical rationale to that variation, it isn't just "random").

For example: Recently finished an eight week routine where each muscle was trained once per week (though every muscle was allotted one week during the cycle where it was hit twice...for variety). That was a six days on, two off split. From there, I went into a nine week routine of a M/W/F split (pull/legs/push, respectively) that centered upon the classic lifts of deads, squats, benches and military presses...among others. I've just now begun the HST routine (as my body, imo, had become "used" to each muscle, for the most part, being hit once per week) in order to expose my muscles to a different type of "shock" (frequency at the relative expense of volume). From there, the plan is to begin the basic 9-week westside routine...not sure what follows that, but each progressive step is carefully weighed for its pros and cons, or new ones are introduced to see how i'll react...so while it's called muscle confusion, there is never any real presence of mental confusion (only that of "physical")

arthurb999 is offline Anabolic Member
    I can give you a 4 day routine:

Chest
    Back/Bi's
    Shoulders/Tri's
    LEGS!!!!

xplicit is offline Member
    That would be the 4 day routine im just asking on which plan i should do. I would be adding legs into my routine with this and adding cardio 3-4 days a week depending upon which plan i pick.

Destructo is offline Associate Member
    I agree with BigGreen on muscle confusion.
    In my personal opinion, with so much rest, a biceps and shoulders day is a waste. Both muscle groups are such a small portion of the body that they provide little in the way of an all out adrenaline rush that makes your heart pound so hard you'd swear your tongue was going to explode. Rushes like this are found when training major muscle groups. They force a change in the body, warrant a longer rest period, and can hit smaller muscles like biceps/triceps and shoulders both directly and indirectly. Also, if you get a chance, Read,"Education of a Bodybuiler," by Arnold Schwarzenegger and "The Complete Bodybuilder's Handbook," by Franco Columbu. Their training methods work miracles and provide insight through all of today's theories.

Thread Information