Short_Guy is offline Junior Member

Weighted Dips for Chest

I've used these to great effect in my chest routine--just wondering if anyone else is a believer in them.

BMANN is offline Associate Member
    Weighted dips for chest? I always hit the tri when I do weighted dips.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    I used them with some pretty respectable success to jump over a plateau in chest development a little while back. Like any solid "chest" exercise, i think they can just as easily hit triceps, and indeed the tris can dominate the exercise. However, with some mental concentration, i was able to feel this in my chest like no other exercise save for the incline press. However, along the lines of BMANN's statement, any time i bumped the weight up to the point i could only bang out six reps or so, it seemed my tris took over.

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    I gotta question about dips for chest . . . while descending, should the elbows go out to the side or should you keep 'em tucked in at the sides?
    10,000 Texas-sized thanks,
    --Tock

Anchor is offline New Member
    Tock,
    Elbows should be kept on the same plane as your wrists, or slightly to the outside of that plane...I have dipped for a few years and it works well for me.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Elbows in for tricep dips and elbows out for chest dips... both are outstanding movements.

BlGdawg is offline New Member
    its gonna sound irrelivant but for chest somebody once told me to keep your chin touching your upper chest and it will make you forcus more on your lower chest rather than your triceps. Give it a try and tell me what you think.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Like Warrior said, 'elbows in for Tris - out for Chest' .. Also, if you lean forward during the movement, it helps to work the Chest a little better.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i love weighted dips...my chest isnt that big yet, but i noticed it felt a lot more 'worked' when i added weight to the dips.

drpkckmrphy1 is offline Junior Member
    weighted dips are absolutely brutal!!! I love 'em... Leaning forward does help hit chest more. My chest gets completely pumped on these things. Sometimes I do 'em before other movements and sometimes at the end. Great for chest and tris.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I have seen many people work in Tricep dips and develop great growth. I used to do them a lot and I think they are part of the reason my Tris have really great strength today. My current split uses Close Grip Flat Bench and Tri Incline Bench Extensions (Cambered Bar)... but weighted tri dips still get worked in now and then.

I don't like them for Chest so much because I have a hard time isolating my chest with the elbows out leaning forward movement. The grip is too close for me... however, electrolisis reports show that decline chest movements out rate flat and incline movements for muscle fiber recruitment (dumbells outscored barbell movements). And a Chest Dip would closely resemble a decline press...

Thread Information