Thread: Strange BodyFat

ECKO 747 is offline Associate Member

Strange BodyFat

This is really strange.... I know, I've dropped a couple of pounds, Even my waiste size is smaller (cause all my pants are loose).... But accroding to my home scale my body fat remains almost unchanged (still hovering around 20%)..... What could be the explanation for this

ECKO 747 is offline Associate Member
    BUUMP

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're talking about the scales that electronically measure your bodyfat through the electric impedence method (i believe) then you could drop a few percentage points in bodyfat in actuality and have it read more depending on how hydrated you are, how humid it is (so i've heard), etc, etc....bottom line, the things just aren't all that accurate, and become even less accurate as you deal with an individual having higher than average muscle mass.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    BIA Bioelectrical Impedence Analysis. It works on the theory that fat is more of an insulator than water. So by sending electricity through your feet and can figure out your body fat by how much conductivity there is. I've done one and it said 8% bf which i think is fairly accurate for me. But then i have a friend that's pretty huge, all muscle and the machine read 26% bf and there is no way in hell that's even close.

BullDogg20 is offline Member
    my girlfriend bought me one of those scales and that measures weight and bodyfat percentage. i am telling you right now. they are only accurate to a certain extent. it said i was 23% bodyfat. and i am no where near that high. i sit around 14% bodyfart, I firmly believe the calipers are very accurate for how cheep they are. but they only measure surface fat. so maybe use both and adverage them out. if your calipers say you are still 20% then u are probaly close to 20%. even thou you lost weight and still remained 20%, doesnt mean u lost all fat, could have lost muscle too.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    The callipers are rated at plus or minus 3-5% body fat. But that's assuming the person using them has lots of experience

Thread Information