Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: The Slingshot Training System

NewMuscle83 is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronnie Rowland View Post
    1) The Dave Plaumbo diet is based on 16 weeks of full blown ketosis. I do not believe in staying in ketosis for over 8 weeks-period! Been there-done that-never again!!!

2) The Slingshot diet starts out with carb-cycling so everyone can lose as much body fat possible in a comfortable manner before entering the more stringent state of ketosis.

2) Cheese and such is allowed with the Slingshot keto diet phase where as Dave's plan does not but I do believe in consuming as many healthy fats as possible (like Palumbo) as opposed to saturated fats, etc for both health and body fat purposes.

3) I allow those with a fast metabolism to have one extra carb up meal per week on a second designated day if desired.

4) With the Slingshot keto diet the once a week cheat meal is always included regardless of ones progress to keep t-3 levels high, increase energy levels and help maintain ones ability to carb up for a show where as Dave will take away a clients cheat meal if they do not lose enough weight for the week.

Other than that I think Dave and I are on the same page and I feel his diet is great for body fat loss. I feel by starting out with slingshot carb cycling, more muscle mass will be retained and body fat will be lost more easily in the long run because the body adapts to ketosis after around 8 weeks just as it does 8 weeks of carb cycling in a severe calorie deficit. I never really gave it a thought as to how Daves keto diet and the Slingshot Keto diet were different but I think that just about covers it.
    so for the keto phase we eat protein/fat inn every single meal, everyday, except for ONE high carb cheat meal on sunday?

Ronnie Rowland is offline Author of Functional Training with a Fork
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 48volts View Post
    so for the keto phase we eat protein/fat inn every single meal, everyday, except for ONE high carb cheat meal on sunday?
    Yes, you eat protein/fat in every meal and you can have 1-2 carb meals on one designated day of the week. 200-600 carbs (depending on ones metabolism) works very well. With fast metabolism you can have two carb up days. I suggest after leg and back day!

Yes, you eat protein/fat in every meal and you can have 1-3 carb meals on one designated day of the week. 200-600 carbs (depending on ones metabolism) works very well.
    Nice. Thanks Ron, I really appreciate all your help.

I should mention, since implementing your tips into my diet and workout, I can begin to see my abs for the first time. My fat loss is not as drastic as I had hoped, so I will be switching to your keto diet for the next 5-6 weeks to see what will happen.

Thanks again.

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyguy View Post
    Ronnie - I'm really taking to this training but want to make sure I hit it right. If I sent you a PM of my workout would you look it over? I really want this to work. Thanks
    You have a pm!

Blog Entries
    Nice. Thanks Ron, I really appreciate all your help.

I should mention, since implementing your tips into my diet and workout, I can begin to see my abs for the first time. My fat loss is not as drastic as I had hoped, so I will be switching to your keto diet for the next 5-6 weeks to see what will happen.

Thanks again.
    You will hit a wall during the first week while entering ketosis so be prepared. Not easy but worth it once you get it! Once you are there, blood sugar will stabilize and you will feel good given you eat 6 meals per day and enough fats to fuel energy/brain function. Do not try to lose any weight during the first week. This will ensure only water weight is lost and it will help keep energy levels up.

Keep cardio at a lower intensity and train with less volume while lifting-around 6-8 intense sets per body part once per week works very well. Use creatine and salt your food!

You will hit a wall during the first week while entering ketosis so be prepared. Not easy but worth it once you get it! Once you are there, blood sugar will stabilize and you will feel good given you eat 6 meals per day and enough fats to fuel energy/brain function. Do not try to lose any weight during the first week. This will ensure only water weight is lost and it will help keep energy levels up.

Keep cardio at a lower intensity and train with less volume while lifting-around 6-8 intense sets per body part once per week works very well. Use creatine and salt your food!
    salt and creatine?? that's a water retention nightmare! u dnt think it defeats the purpose of cutting?

hockeyguy is offline Associate Member
    Sorry was getting both kids to bed, just got back to you. I want to say thanks for looking into things for me it really means a lot!

You have a pm!

Blog Entries
    salt and creatine?? that's a water retention nightmare! u dnt think it defeats the purpose of cutting?
    No! You will need them to make the muscles pump and to help maintain strength gains when carb depleted. When you decide to reduce salt intake and stop the creatine, you will be left with more muscle mass.

Blog Entries
    Sorry was getting both kids to bed, just got back to you. I want to say thanks for looking into things for me it really means a lot!
    Glad to help!

One more thing, I have yet to see anyone ask me in the open forum about how to cycle protein intake when alternating between the reload and deload. Remember, you take in more protein during a reload and less during a deload. During a prime you decrease protein a lot (by around half). Please let me know if you do not fully understand this concept and I will explain.

I'd be glad to hear what you have. How much do you decrease from reload to deload? I'm all ears.

GGallin is offline Senior Member
    Holy shit this is gonna take like 5 years to read lol. I am sure its worth it from what I have read so far. Although it seems a little confusing at some points because I dont know all the training terms. You def know your stuff man.

Ok Ronnie be nice! Here you go I'm looking for all any help man.
    Let me know if you are not able to open.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Ron, two questions.

-I've been on the Keto diet for 5 days now. I feel ok. How do you I know I'm in "ketosis"?

-Can I drink diet soda?

Thanks.

Blog Entries
    Ron, two questions.

-I've been on the Keto diet for 5 days now. I feel ok. How do you I know I'm in "ketosis"?

-Can I drink diet soda?

Thanks.
    Yes, diet soda is fine but stay away from artificial sweetners in packets that contain maltodextrin such as splenda and such.

Once you get into ketosis you will feel better. Keep carbs to 40 or below and you will be there in a week or less.

dsa8864667 is offline Member
    When deloading do i still need todo a prep set?

ronnie...i have been blasting for 3 months straight..and have yet to prime..is that okay???my reload has been 2 weeks...deload 1 week..

ronnie..i always major trouble losing any bodyfat...ready to start your cutting routine for summer...should i begin with carb cycling or keto????

Blog Entries
    I'd be glad to hear what you have. How much do you decrease from reload to deload? I'm all ears.
    I have learned it's best to increase anywhere from .5 to 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight during a reload. Do not exceed 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight on a long term basis because its not needed. The body becomes more anabolic with cycling protein but nothing last long. During a reload you would also want to increase carbohydrates some to fuel longer workouts and spare the extra protein being consumed. No need in taking in extra protein during a mass cycle if its being used for fuel!

During a deload you would decrease protein back to around 1 to 1.5 grams per pound of body weight and decrease carbs a bit since less volume is being utilized. A this point you increase healthy fats in place of the extra carb/protein cals used during the reload.. SIMPLE YET VERY EFFECTIVE!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by dsa8864667 View Post
    When deloading do i still need todo a prep set?
    Yes! Nothing changes training wise but the amount of sets you perform.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by GGallin View Post
    Holy shit this is gonna take like 5 years to read lol. I am sure its worth it from what I have read so far. Although it seems a little confusing at some points because I dont know all the training terms. You def know your stuff man.
    Click on this link to read an isolated version of the Slingshot Carb Cycling Diet verse the Slingshot Keto Diet. Slingshot Keto vs Slingshot Carb Cycling

Hang in there Galin and we will get you on the right path for getting ripped this year!

Blog Entries
    Let's begin with the reload-

1) You should not train shoulders the day after chest. The deltoids will still be broken down and sore from training chest.

2) I would not train legs and lat-back to back. It's too demanding on the nervous sytem.

3) Add one more exercise for hamstrings

4) You can probably get by with 9 sets for arms if desired

5) for abs 2 exercises at 4 sets a piece is plenty

6) You need some forearms work after bicep day-2 exercises 4 sets a piece and you need some trap work at end of back day-1 exercise 6 sets a piece

7) You need to train calved before the quads-did not see this?

8) Try the following split instead:

Day 1- chest/biceps
    Day 2 - legs
    Day 3 OFF
    Day 4 Shoulders/triceps
    Day 5 Back/abs
    Day 6 OFF
    Day 7 OFF
    Example of 2 week reload

Day 1 = Chest/Tri’s

Chest (DB flat bench, DB incline, Flat bench flys, incline flys)*Note next week I’ll do(DB flat bench, BB incline, cable flys ,weighted dips)
    - 4 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 reps

Tris (skull crushers, Close grip bench, rope pull downs, incline extensions)* Every now and then will switch a couple of the out for couple cable exercises.
    - 4 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 ) reps

Day 2 = Shoulders/Bi’s

Shoulders(BB shrugs, Front lat raises, rear lat raises, BB seated Military) * Next time will switch and do some db shrugs for traps, up right rows, rear bb shrugs, rear lat raises)
    - 4 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 reps

Bi’s(straight bar curl, hammer, incline curl, preacher) * Switch up with single arm preacher, reverse grip curl, couple different cable curls)

Day 3 Off

Day 4 Back/Abs
    Back (Deadlift, Pull downs v bar, bent over rows, chest supported rows,) * will throw cable rows in for chest supported rows.

Abs
    3 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 reps

Day 5 Legs
    Legs (Squats, Leg press, extension, leg curls)

Day 6 Off
    Day 7 Off

Blog Entries

Question

The deload looks good given you make the adjustments I suggested with the reload and apply them to the deload.

How often do you plan to reload and deload?

Note: Remember, the 1-2 week prime is only there for a safety net and it's not uncommon for myself and my trainees to blast way past the 12 week mark before returning to light training for a week or 2. Only you will know what works best for your body after trial and error!

Blog Entries

A must read

A MUST READ! ## Throughout this thread I will often provide sample time lines for priming and blasting. For example: a 2 week prime followed by a 12 week blast. Please understand that these are nothing more than samples and you should stick with the blasting phase for as long as you can possibly withstand before experiencing injury and total burnout. Gains are made during the blast by reloading and deloading not during a prime! I had one client blast for an entire 10 months straight this past winter and he's a monster now.##

12 week blast.
    The deload looks good given you make the adjustments I suggested with the reload and apply them to the deload.

How often do you plan to reload and deload?

Note: Remember, the 1-2 week prime is only there for a safety net and it's not uncommon for myself and my trainees to blast way past the 12 week mark before returning to light training for a week or 2. Only you will know what works best for your body after trial and error!

Smile

Ronnie - Thanks this is just the kinda thing I need. I will make the changes and see how it goes. Also I would throw 1 calf workout at the end of leg day but I will make the change per your recommendation.
    A couple Q's
    1 - Forearm work - Do I include that on Day 1 with chest/bi or on the next day w/ legs?
    2- Trap work at the end of back day just 1 excercise with 6 sets what type of excersise would you recommend?
    Once again thanks for taking the time, not many people are willing to do that for someone. You are great! I did send you a PM with a question when you have a minute.

Let's begin with the reload-

1) You should not train shoulders the day after chest. The deltoids will still be broken down and sore from training chest.

2) I would not train legs and lat-back to back. It's too demanding on the nervous sytem.

3) Add one more exercise for hamstrings

4) You can probably get by with 9 sets for arms if desired

5) for abs 2 exercises at 4 sets a piece is plenty

6) You need some forearms work after bicep day-2 exercises 4 sets a piece and you need some trap work at end of back day-1 exercise 6 sets a piece

7) You need to train calved before the quads-did not see this?

8) Try the following split instead:

Day 1- chest/biceps
    Day 2 - legs
    Day 3 OFF
    Day 4 Shoulders/triceps
    Day 5 Back/abs
    Day 6 OFF
    Day 7 OFF
    Example of 2 week reload

Day 1 = Chest/Tri’s

Chest (DB flat bench, DB incline, Flat bench flys, incline flys)*Note next week I’ll do(DB flat bench, BB incline, cable flys ,weighted dips)

Tris (skull crushers, Close grip bench, rope pull downs, incline extensions)* Every now and then will switch a couple of the out for couple cable exercises.
    - 4 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 ) reps

Day 2 = Shoulders/Bi’s

Shoulders(BB shrugs, Front lat raises, rear lat raises, BB seated Military) * Next time will switch and do some db shrugs for traps, up right rows, rear bb shrugs, rear lat raises)

Bi’s(straight bar curl, hammer, incline curl, preacher) * Switch up with single arm preacher, reverse grip curl, couple different cable curls)

Day 3 Off

Day 4 Back/Abs
    Back (Deadlift, Pull downs v bar, bent over rows, chest supported rows,) * will throw cable rows in for chest supported rows.

Abs
    3 different exercises at 3 set each for a total of 12 sets each set and 8-10 reps

Day 5 Legs
    Legs (Squats, Leg press, extension, leg curls)

Day 6 Off
    Day 7 Off

Blog Entries

Wink

Ronnie - Thanks this is just the kinda thing I need. I will make the changes and see how it goes. Also I would throw 1 calf workout at the end of leg day but I will make the change per your recommendation. (do calves before quads)
    A couple Q's
    1 - Forearm work - Do I include that on Day 1 with chest/bi or on the next day w/ legs? (chest/bicep)
    2- Trap work at the end of back day just 1 excercise with 6 sets what type of excersise would you recommend? (6 sets of seated dumbbell shrugs)Once again thanks for taking the time, not many people are willing to do that for someone. You are great! I did send you a PM with a question when you have a minute.
    Answers above in bold.

You are welcome..It's what I am here for. I want to help others reach their goals.

Alright I've made the adjustments and look forward to the gym tomorrow.

ronnie...thanks for helping us out..when should i change to twice per week training...for how long...starting cutting routine next week...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by VASCULAR VINCE View Post
    ronnie...thanks for helping us out..when should i change to twice per week training (every 3 months)...for how long (as long as you feel it's working-8-weeks is a good baseline )...starting cutting routine next week (discontinue heavy 4-6 rep sets on key exercises and keep everything else the same)...
    above in blod.

MuscleandBrawn is offline New Member
    Ronnie...on another forum, you stated that you had 20 inch arms as a natural. Could you please post pics.

Quote Originally Posted by MuscleandBrawn View Post
    Ronnie...on another forum, you stated that you had 20 inch arms as a natural. Could you please post pics.
    ronnie's da man!!!
    Last edited by VASCULAR VINCE; 04-24-2009 at 11:29 AM.

Blog Entries
    please do ronnie...
    You have a pm Vince..

Sample-Slingshot Cutting Cycle used by Competitive Bodybuilders getting ready for a show:

A base of testosterone (750-1000 mgs of test enanthate for 12-16 weeks), (.5mg of arimidex ed for 8 weeks) then increasing to (1 mg ed for last 8 weeks), trenbolone (75mg-150 mgs every other day for 12-16 weeks), (50-100 mgs of Winstrol depot every day for last 8 weeks), (2 clenbuterol tabs per day at 20 mgs a piece), increase by one tab every 2-3 weeks for 12 weeks while not exceeding 120 mgs), one Cytomel (25mcgs per day) while increasing dosage by half a tab every three weeks until (50 mcgs max) is reached for 12 weeks); Those who can afford it add (4 to 10 IUs of Growth Hormone daily for 12-16 weeks).

why should i not use test propionate seeing it would cause me to hold less water than test enanthate ? would letro be better for estrogen control than adex???

Blog Entries
    Sample-Slingshot Cutting Cycle used by Competitive Bodybuilders getting ready for a show:

A base of testosterone (750-1000 mgs of test enanthate for 12-16 weeks), (.5mg of arimidex ed for 8 weeks) then increasing to (1 mg ed for last 8 weeks), trenbolone (75mg-150 mgs every other day for 12-16 weeks), (50-100 mgs of Winstrol depot every day for last 8 weeks), (2 clenbuterol tabs per day at 20 mgs a piece), increase by one tab every 2-3 weeks for 12 weeks while not exceeding 120 mgs), one Cytomel (25mcgs per day) while increasing dosage by half a tab every three weeks until (50 mcgs max) is reached for 12 weeks); Those who can afford it add (4 to 10 IUs of Growth Hormone daily for 12-16 weeks).

why should i not use test propionate seeing it would cause me to hold less water than test enanthate? would letro be better for estrogen control than adex???
    1) Test is test so why go through the pain of having to do more injections? Prop would be okay a few weeks before a contest but stick with enanthate because both cause the same amount of water retention.

2)Letro would be fine if you are very gyno prone or are two weeks out from doing a show. Other than that it's a bit overkill and will cause lethargicness and a lack of libido to name a few.

eatrainrest is offline AR's Personal Trainer
    ok ronnie awesome read! questions i want to start a blasting phase it would be with a 4-day split i have years of experience and lifting and had a few questions.

i would either use a 4-day or a 3 day on/1 off

i would start out with 1 muscle group per week (since i do some two tiems now), and keep my blast at about 10-12 sets, and my deload at 5-6 sets. another question, although the blast is meant to stimulate muscle growth, for smaller muscle groups like calves, abs, biceps, triceps, even delts, dont you feel 12 sets is too many??? i was thinking liek doign 8-9 for secondary muscles during a blast and 4-5 during a reload.

it would look something liek this
    4-day split 1 muscle gorup per week
    monday-chest
    tuesday-back/abs
    wednesday-off
    thursday-legs
    friday-shoulders/traps/abs

5 day would be (1x per week)
    monday-legs/calves
    tuesday-chest/abs
    wednesday-back
    thursday-off
    friday-delts/traps/abs
    saturday-bis/tris/calves

5 day 2x per week body part example
    m-chest/back
    t-delts, bis, tris/abs
    wed-legs/calves
    thurs-off
    fri-chest back
    sat-delts/bis/tris/abs

repeat liek day 1,2,3 off 1,2 then start next week with day 3

also, you said stay with the same exercises/routine during the entire 8-12 week phase right? it would be ideal after a 1-2 week prime, to switch up exercises routines example liek splits and liek swapping some barbells with dumbelles/incline with flat (to stimulate different muscle fibers)??

and during the deload, use the same exact intensity in the same rep ranges as the reload correct? just obviously account for lower protein intake becfause the blast is the most anabolic state.

my primer would be 12 reps at 80% intensity and during anabolic do low intensity cardio 3-5x weekly, but when is the best time to do a alternating high and low intensity cardio like 1 or 2x weekly. during the reload?

thanks alot ronnie sorry for the long post lol

1) Test is test so why go through the pain of having to do more injections? Prop would be okay a few weeks before a contest but stick with enanthate because both cause the same amount of water retention.

2)Letro would be fine if you are very gyno prone or are two weeks out from doing a show. Other than that it's a bit overkill and will cause lethargicness and a lack of libido to name a few.
    interesting...i was always told prop help less water... but i can perceive test..is..test..cytomel ....why only 50mcgs and not 150mcgs???

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    I spent 3 Hours Reading that Post. Nice work Ronnie. I have been having elbow pain due to training heavy. I will start 2 week Prime 2moro and work toward a 12 week blast.
    This is very informative and I will be checking in for More suggestions.

Blog Entries

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by eatrainrest View Post
    ok ronnie awesome read! questions i want to start a blasting phase it would be with a 4-day split i have years of experience and lifting and had a few questions.

i would either use a 4-day or a 3 day on/1 off

i would start out with 1 muscle group per week (since i do some two tiems now), and keep my blast at about 10-12 sets, and my deload at 5-6 sets. another question, although the blast is meant to stimulate muscle growth, for smaller muscle groups like calves, abs, biceps, triceps, even delts, dont you feel 12 sets is too many??? i was thinking liek doign 8-9 for secondary muscles during a blast and 4-5 during a reload. 8-10 sets is plenty for smaller muscle groups. I just used 12 as an example. My arms do well with 12 but they also do well with 8 sets during a reload.
    it would look something liek this
    4-day split 1 muscle gorup per week
    monday-chest
    tuesday-back/abs
    wednesday-off
    thursday-legs
    friday-shoulders/traps/abs (I would train legs on friday to allow more CNS recovery).

5 day would be (1x per week)
    monday-legs/calves
    tuesday-chest/abs ( I would train chest on monday, back on tuesday and legs on wednesday to improve CNS recovery)
    wednesday-back
    thursday-off
    friday-delts/traps/abs
    saturday-bis/tris/calves

5 day 2x per week body part example
    m-chest/back
    t-delts, bis, tris/abs
    wed-legs/calves
    thurs-off
    fri-chest back
    sat-delts/bis/tris/abs

repeat liek day 1,2,3 off 1,2 then start next week with day 3 (looks good and you might do better using the same lay out with a 3 day on/2 day off split)

also, you said stay with the same exercises/routine during the entire 8-12 week phase right? it would be ideal after a 1-2 week prime, to switch up exercises routines example liek splits and liek swapping some barbells with dumbelles/incline with flat (to stimulate different muscle fibers)?? (you stay with the same exercises until you feel as though you have plateaued on them and/or begin to sense over-use injuries developing. You can blast for as long as you want (not just 8-12 weeks) before returning to a prime. During the blast I would keep it the same but some do well by training fewer days of the week during a deload. For example: You could train 5 days a week during a reload and only 3 day a week during a reload as long as there is not too much time gap between training muscle groups.)

and during the deload, use the same exact intensity in the same rep ranges as the reload correct? just obviously account for lower protein intake becfause the blast is the most anabolic state. YES!my primer would be 12 reps at 80% intensity and during anabolic do low intensity cardio 3-5x weekly, but when is the best time to do a alternating high and low intensity cardio like 1 or 2x weekly. during the reload? You can go as high as 3 day sper week of cardio during a blast. I need you to be a bit more specific in regards to when to do HIT cardio vs moderate. Not sure I fully understand the question.

thanks alot ronnie sorry for the long post lol
    No problem! You asked some very good questions. I answered your questions above in bold.

Blog Entries
    interesting...i was always told prop help less water... but i can perceive test..is..test..cytomel....why only 50mcgs and not 150mcgs???
    Unless you are a genetic freak and/or taking tons of anabolics and Growth Hormone , you will more than likely burn off muscle with 150 mcgs per day! It could also put undue strain on the heart.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vpchill View Post
    I spent 3 Hours Reading that Post. Nice work Ronnie. I have been having elbow pain due to training heavy. I will start 2 week Prime 2moro and work toward a 12 week blast.
    This is very informative and I will be checking in for More suggestions.
    I deal with elbow pain from time to time as well. It is very common amongst bodybuilders! I would suggest you use ice daily, take fish oil capsules and take a high quality brand of glucosamine and chondrointon. Exercises like skull crushers, dips, over head extensions and heavy back exercises can make your elbow ache.

I would suggest you train the tris and bis with only cables for a time to allow the inflammation to subside. Use stricter form and this goes for all back exercises as well. This will help a lot!

vpchill is offline "Born to lose, Dying to win"
    Thanx again. One more Question (One of Many, I will be picking your brain during the Blastphase)
    During the prime since the sets are low can I add more cardio without losing muscle? Maybe 3-4 days a Week 30-40min ?

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread Information