2.25 plates 12 reps
    2.25 plates 10 reps
    3 plates 8 reps
    3.25 plates 8 reps

Front squats
    3 sets to failure, usually at least 2 - 2.25 plates

Then leg extensions
    4-5 sets to failure

Right now I'm 5'.7", 168. I lost some weight Here's my problem... I'm getting frustrated because I can see my strength gains in my legs cause I can leg press, squat and dead lift heavier weight. But I don't feel I'm building that much mass/width in my quads. I do my squats pretty deep. I drop my butt pass parallel and I do my front squats even deeper. Am I going too heavy? If I lighten the weight and go for higher reps is that better for building mass? Are hack squats better for building mass?

Suggestions?

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    No suggestions?

simson is offline New Member
    So you do leg press as main exercise in your workout and light sets(15 reps). Put squats first in your workout and do them heavy(6-8 reps).

It would look like this.

Squat:
    15x1
    12x1
    and heavy
    6-8x2 to failure.

Then add some isolating moves.

Anchor is offline New Member
    Do i set of 20 reps....no 3/4 pretty boy squats either....your legs will grow like nothing else...add weight evry workout.
    It works.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by simson
    So you do leg press as main exercise in your workout and light sets(15 reps). Put squats first in your workout and do them heavy(6-8 reps).

It would look like this.

Squat:
    15x1
    12x1
    and heavy
    6-8x2 to failure.

Then add some isolating moves.
    How can you do squats to failure? That's like a death wish

simson is offline New Member
    Dead wish!

Be dead or have great legs man! Have someone to spot you!

freak of the week is offline Junior Member

Re: Help with Leg Routine

Originally posted by Carlos_E
    My quad routine goes as follows:

Leg press
    6 plates (each side) 15 reps
    7 plates 12 reps
    9 plates 10 reps
    10 plates 8 reps
    10 plates failure

Squats
    2 plates (each side) 15 reps
    2.25 plates 12 reps
    2.25 plates 10 reps
    3 plates 8 reps
    3.25 plates 8 reps

Front squats
    3 sets to failure, usually at least 2 - 2.25 plates

Then leg extensions
    4-5 sets to failure

Right now I'm 5'.7", 168. I lost some weight Here's my problem... I'm getting frustrated because I can see my strength gains in my legs cause I can leg press, squat and dead lift heavier weight. But I don't feel I'm building that much mass/width in my quads. I do my squats pretty deep. I drop my butt pass parallel and I do my front squats even deeper. Am I going too heavy? If I lighten the weight and go for higher reps is that better for building mass? Are hack squats better for building mass?

Suggestions?

I would do squats first. Check your intensity. If your not intense with legs they won't grow. I hate to say this but the statement am I goin too heavy is herasy. Strenght builds size stated very simplicitly. I think it could be your intensity. Also check out the post "who wants quads". There is a decent workout there you may want to try.

Re: Re: Help with Leg Routine

Originally posted by freak of the week

I would do squats first. Check your intensity. If your not intense with legs they won't grow. I hate to say this but the statement am I goin too heavy is herasy. Strenght builds size stated very simplicitly. I think it could be your intensity. Also check out the post "who wants quads". There is a decent workout there you may want to try.
    I've already changed my leg routine and my legs have good size. My post was because they're not freakishly massively huge like I want them but I'll get them there.

freak of the week is offline Junior Member
    I hear ya. I want some big time rims. . . .too freakish would be nice

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    After years of thinking to get my legs to grow I had to go heavy every workout, I finally found out that by going lighter and making them burn I got better growth and hardness...

I would recommend doing squats first in your routine when you're fresh... I wouldn't go any lower then 12 reps on squats... 12-20 for leg presses... Extension I'd shoot for 15-20 reps...

I always did low rep sets with heavy weight in the 5-8 rep range and all I got was nagging injuries from heavy squats and leg presses... Still try and up your weight every workout, but keep it in the higher rep range and I bet you'll find your legs bigger and harder with more cuts after only 1 month...

Originally posted by buff87
    After years of thinking to get my legs to grow I had to go heavy every workout, I finally found out that by going lighter and making them burn I got better growth and hardness...

I would recommend doing squats first in your routine when you're fresh... I wouldn't go any lower then 12 reps on squats... 12-20 for leg presses... Extension I'd shoot for 15-20 reps...

I always did low rep sets with heavy weight in the 5-8 rep range and all I got was nagging injuries from heavy squats and leg presses... Still try and up your weight every workout, but keep it in the higher rep range and I bet you'll find your legs bigger and harder with more cuts after only 1 month...
    I agree. I changed my leg workout, going a little lighter and for higher reps and I feel a bigger pump and they're actually sore longer. It could be my imagination but they seem fuller in just a few weeks. My plans is to alternate. Some leg workouts, going super heavy and other workouts going lighter higher reps.

Thread Information