overactive-girl is offline Female Member

Sick and Tired....

Recently I came down with a really bad cold. I felt like I started getting sick about 2 weeks ago and I've been fighting it off since then, but a couple of days ago it got me bad. I've felt week and have been getting tired quickly which is not what I am usually like-- Normally, I can do a couple hours of cardio and then hit the weights, and still leave the gym with enough energy to keep my boyfriend happy (that was a joke y'all). But this cold just zapped all my hard earned stength gains out of me. I can barely lift what I was lifting before and I'm running a much slower mile pace than I was. I've only taken a few days off from working out-- how could I have lost so much so soon? Do you think it could be something more serious, or is it possible to have lost so much strength so quickly.
    Prior to getting sick, I was working out 6 days a weeks.

Back and Bi's + cardio
    Chest and Tri's + cardio
    Legs and Shoulders + cardio
    day off (or cardio only)
    Circuit Training + very light cardio
    start over

Could it be possible that I overtrained myself and I have worn my body out. I hope not, but yesterday was my first day back in the gym in a few days and all I had the energy for was a 20 minute jog on the treadmill.
    Any advice for me? I'm still not feeling strong again.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yes. If you're workouts are not allowing progress and super compensation - than you are overtraining. If it is simple and you caught it early enough - start working in light days to alternate your heavy. If it is more sever than take 2-3 days of rest and eating. If it is really bad (sounds like it may be) than take at least a week off. For advanced athlete this can be difficult to do - but you come back more motivated than before.

How long have you been on the same training split? How many years have you been training all together?

overactive-girl is offline Female Member
    I've been training 3-4 years seriously. I recently started splitting my workouts up like this-- back in early september (I was training for an obstacle course race and working out like this helped me gain strength very quickly, so I have been sticking with the same routine since the race). At first, I was gaining strength and size very fast- I figured it was because of the new routine. Since the race (sept. 28) I've eased up a bit on the cardio and haven't been doing as many sets as I was (now I'm doing 3 sets rather than 4). I've been really motivated and pushing myself hard because of all the progress I've seen, but these last 2 weeks or so- my body just doesn't want it anymore. I feel like I'm fighting some sort of illness or something.
    For example, I'm a trainer at a gym that is 3 floors and I usually run up the steps to the 3rd floor, but on sunday I was dragging myself up and could tell my heart was beating harder when I got to the top and my quads were tired. That's just not normal for me-- very weird. I don't know if I'm just sick or if I've overtrained myself to the point that I'm causing my muscles to break down. very weird. I took a few days off from training and I already feel mushy (It's probably in my own head though) and I don't want to take more time off, but I'm scared that if it is because of overtraining, then I will make things worse if I get back to my usual routine too soon.
    Hmmm, what do you think? thanks for your advice!

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    i think you're probably still sick. It's doubtful you'd lose so much strength in so little time. I know what you mean when you say you feel tired walking up stairs, i get that way to if i really lack sleep.
    Maybe you should moniter your resting heart rate every morning to see when you're getting sick

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    Same thing happened to me. I got a common cold (according to a doctor) and I got really weak. I lost about 15 pounds because I just couldn't eat like I normally do. I rarely get sick and so when I didn't feel any better after a week of not training, I went to see a doctor. The doctor said it was a cold and it would go away. It did eventually, took about two weeks for me to get over it and back to feeling up to going to the gym again. I gained back all my weight and got back up to the weights I was lifting before I got sick. It didn't take very long to do that. I'd say take time off till you feel like yourself again. See a doctor if you feel like it is taking you too long to get back to normal. But don't be surprised if it takes a few weeks of not training to get back to normal.

Thread Information