Thread: DoH my Calfs!

RageControl is offline Senior Member

Thumbs down DoH my Calfs!

Well i put shorts on today for the fis time in a long time. Lets just say i will be wearing pants this summer. My upper body is big as well my thighs / hams but my calfs are lagging behind big time. I cant gain mass in them no matter what i do.
    So what kinda calf workouts do you guys do. I want to look like im smuggling footballs .

dajones is offline New Member
    i think you need to train them extra hard as they are a very dense muscle that carries you around all day. heres what i do
    standing calf raises finish on 140kg until failure
    seated calf raises 4 sets finish on 85kg until failure
    i used to do just standing calfs but now ive started doing seated. my calfs are starting to come along just keep hitting them as hard as you can they will eventually stat to grow

superbeast is offline Member
    Try this:

4 supersets

100 reps on the seated calf
    25 reps of shit squats
    20 reps of standing calf raises

I only use 45 lbs on the seated, and 225 standing. It only takes about 10-15 minutes but I guarantee it will be more intense and you will be more sore than ever before!

Hehe whats a shit squat. sounds dirty......
    you think i should use more reps? i wanna gain mass in them there nice n cut but too small in size.

superbeast is offline Member
    To do a shit squat, you grab a hold of a power rack or something. Squat down so your ass touches your heels, or close. Hold onto the rack for balance and do calf raises, lifting only with the calves.

Calves are contain more slow twitch fibers than probably any other muscle. That is why it is necessary to use higher reps. They will grow, just try it.

BigD is offline Associate Member
    I've always like doing standing calf raises with medium weight only doing 10 with your heels pointing away from each other, 10 with them pointing towards each other, then 10 normal all without stopping.

After a couple sets of these I typically have to limp outta the gym.

Im gonna take your ideas this sunday see if i can walk that night...

bigtime is offline New Member

Re: DoH my Calfs!

Originally posted by RageControl
    Well i put shorts on today for the fis time in a long time. Lets just say i will be wearing pants this summer. My upper body is big as well my thighs / hams but my calfs are lagging behind big time. I cant gain mass in them no matter what i do.
    So what kinda calf workouts do you guys do. I want to look like im smuggling footballs .
    well....i think it all comes down to genetics, i think we have all seen a huge guy in the gym but his calfs looked like that of a 13 year old boy...lol...a big part of it depends on if you have high muscle bellys in your calfs and if so it will be 3 times as hard to get them to fill out like you would wish......you can still get them big but they will never be the size of "tom platz". for me i do leg press for calfs and standing,donkey<< if the gym has that machine. i use overall poundage and do reps of 15/20.......untill they are burning like all hell.....best of luck to you and i hope you turn your calfs into COWS!
    bigtime<<new member, hello all

bigtime is offline New Member

Re: DoH my Calfs!

Originally posted by RageControl
    p.s. there is always synthol....lol

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    what about matarazzo's shock routine in flex? go heavy, keep good form and superset donkey calf raises and seated calf raises with no rest between until u cannot do another rep, i'm gonna try it today or tommorrow probally, my calves need some type of shock

Thread Information