• I do cardio after my weight workout

14 60.87%
  • I do cardio on my weight training days

1 4.35%
  • I don't do cardio

2 8.70%
    Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member

Cardio before or after your workout???

Just wanted to get an idea of who does Cardio before they actually hit the weights. I want to incorporate this before my actual workout, but I am afraid that it will take away from my weight training. What do you guys normally do?

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i do it in the morning on empty stomach or i do not do it at all. found best results from that

Buddha_Red is offline Senior Member
    I do 30 mins after weights every weekday. I try to limit my workout to a total of 1 1/2 hours max.

I work out at 5:30 AM so its easy to hit it before breakfast =)

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    right now no cardio at all, because I am bulking but when I diet down it is cardio in the am on an empty stomach. Nuttin works better!!!

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    I do it after for two reasons. First, so I don't use any energy before I lift. Second reason I do it after working out is because my heart rate is already somewhat elavated, I won't take as long to get up to my target heart rate for cardio.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Adrock
    I do it after for two reasons. First, so I don't use any energy before I lift. Second reason I do it after working out is because my heart rate is already somewhat elavated, I won't take as long to get up to my target heart rate for cardio.
    Good point there Adrock, but I was thinking that it also loosens my muscles up, warms them up so to speak. Course the energy level was a concern for me as well. Soooo I don't know.. Anyone else have any coments?

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Sicilian30

Good point there Adrock, but I was thinking that it also loosens my muscles up, warms them up so to speak. Course the energy level was a concern for me as well. Soooo I don't know.. Anyone else have any coments?
    Don't get me wrong, I always do warm up sets and/or a little light jog. But actual cardio work is more intense than a warm up jog.

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Sicilian30

well it depends pisan
    Time if you can do it in the morning empty stomach thta's the best but if you cannot then do after training because glycogen is depleted and the body is forced to burn fat if you are in a target heart range-60-70%.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    if u wanna burn more fat morning on a empty stomach
    if not morning after your weight session

I also do my cardio right after the weights so as to not "waste" energy before hitting the weights.

Worked for me so far

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    After does not make sense at all since off-setting cortisol should be your primary concern post workout - not aggrevating it more. Preworkout has many bennefits - but the best is simply to stretch you out and warm up your body temperature.

After makes no sense to anyone trying to GAIN (hypertrophy or strength). I would, and will never consider a post workout cardio nor recommend it. If you want quotes I can get some - but trust me on this.

And... I am the opposite. After most of my resistance training routines I am too pumped, sore and tired to do any cardio. Fuck that. I'll save it for a 15 warm-up and do longer durations on days I do not do any resistance work.

I am suprised by the results of the poll so far...

williampowers is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by Warrior
    After does not make sense at all since off-setting cortisol should be your primary concern post workout - not aggrevating it more. Preworkout has many bennefits - but the best is simply to stretch you out and warm up your body temperature.

After makes no sense to anyone trying to GAIN (hypertrophy or strength). I would, and will never consider a post workout cardio nor recommend it. If you want quotes I can get some - but trust me on this.

And... I am the opposite. After most of my resistance training routines I am too pumped, sore and tired to do any cardio. Fuck that. I'll save it

for a 15 warm-up and do longer durations on days I do not do any resistance work.

I am suprised by the results of the poll so far...
    If muscle gains or bulking is the primary goal of your training schedule then no cardio at all to obtain a anabolic environment.
    I personally am training with resistance and 20 min cardio at 60-65% max heart rate 3x per week. Each traing session is 40 min plus 20min cardio so total is a hour so I should avert cortisol interference.
    plus performing 40min empty stomach cardio plus 8 sets of abdominal excercises on the last of the two rest days before beginning the cycle again.
    This is in combination with a new training cycle I am trying
    I started with what I hated first and loved last so I can look forward to finishing the week..

mon- Shoulder and legs
    teus rest
    wed-back and bi's
    thurs- rest
    frid- chest and tri's
    Sat(am)- 40cardio & abs

Agreed, under a strength and hypertrophy macrocycle doing anything over 15-20 minutes should be done in it's own workout. First thing in the morning is best. For hardgainers - a warm-up should just break a sweat, 5 minutes or so... then off to the weights.

Personally I have no problem gaining and workout great with a lot of focus after a 15-20 minute warm-up. If I jump in cold - the switch is basically not on. Off days and light days during bulking I will come in and do 30-45 minutes at a 60-70 percent heart rate - ususally while reading a good book (roughly once per week) and make up for it with more calories just to keep the blood flowin'.

During an Endurance or Deffinition Cycle - working cardio into workouts is ideal.

justalittlepup is offline New Member
    I always do mine cardio before. Main reason is I hit the gym at 5:00 AM. So it's more just to wake me up and get the body loose and ready fot the real weights.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    When i'm try to get cut and am dieting down. I'll do powerwalking in the morning on an empty stomach on off days. On lift days, i'll do my lifting somewhere in the middle of the day and then get my necessary postworkout nutrients in, then hours later i'll do powerwalking right before i go to bed. Of course during this entire time i'm practically inhaling glutamine, which definitely helps me keep from losing most of my muscle.

Besides maybe a short warmup before lifting weights, i don't want to do cardio before lifting cuz i don't want to deplete my glycogen, and i want to be able to lift with full intensity which can be hard when u're already dieting.

As a rule though, i don't even do cardio the first few weeks of dieting, i save the cardio untill i get "stuck". Also as a rule, u don't want to lose more then 1% of your total body weight per week or else u'll not only be losing fat but also a good chunk of muscle.

Agenor is offline New Member
    First decide what are you doing- bulking up or cutting and then see how much cardio your body needs. For loosing fat it's the best to do it early morning on empty stomach. If you're doing cardio just because it's good for your helth it't best to do it on non w-out days. Don't overtrain.

Well, having read this thread with great interest, I think I'll try something different for a month or two.

As of this week, I'll do my cardio at 6am on an empty stomach, 45 mins to 1hr 3x a week (yeah I still got some blubber to shed).

I'll keep my normal weight training schedule mon-tue-thu-fri, but without the cardio at the end I'll get home earlier. Should make GF happier.

Red

drock8 is offline New Member
    cardio in the morning is the best, on a empty stomach, then weights at least 4 hours later. hate the cardio, but gotta do it

Well, I am on day 2 of doing my cardio in the morning and I have to admit I like it so much (the morning thing, not the cardio!!! I hate cardio too!) I might make this my new routine

Red

skiboy is offline Associate Member
    do cardio bBEFORE your workouts, it won't take away from your lifting your working different muscle fibers, plus its a good warm-up and cardio afterwards is counter productive
    peace dude

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by drock8
    cardio in the morning is the best, on a empty stomach, then weights at least 4 hours later. hate the cardio, but gotta do it
    I completely agree with every word.

freak of the week is offline Junior Member
    Cardo on empty stomache first thing in AM. Never do it before training as you will tax your reserves and adversely effect your workout. Remember its all about building. . .

noob is offline New Member
    i agree warrior and williampowers. i have read some studies about doing cardio after your workout, it should burn some muscle to.

Cardio first thing in the morning is best for burning fat. A common method for brning fat. Your insulin levels are at the bottom due to the fasting and your body will go straight to stored reserves.

But in conjunction with resistance training and when cardio is limited - using it as a warm-up is the best in my opinion. Post workout you need to lower cortisol and immediatly begin repair. Anything over 15 minutes should be seperate from resistance training... it's own day.

Rugby13 is offline Member
    What about doing cardio to get fit for a sport, not to lose fat or any other reason, just to get fit. Right now I'm doing it after my workout. I'm not looking to lose weight or muscle, and I HATE waking up in the mornings Any suggestions?

Lightning is offline New Member
    i do cardio not to lose fat cause my bf is already reallly low. but just for health and it gives me a better pump and wakes me up after school... i usually eata decent sized meal. drink bunch of OJ, and do 20 min of cardio, of which 3 are warming up 15 at my target heart rate and 2 cooling down.. except for legs day.. i cut it down to just a warmup on legs day. i find it wakes me up, increases my blood flow and pump and works fine just for me.. it also gives me a chance to digest food before i start lifting. i usually come home from school eat, and go right to the gym..

Thread Information