ColeD is offline New Member

Are Upright Rows...

I heard Upright Rows are bad for you rotator cuff and u can easily do shoulder damage, and that shrugs are more effective, what is ur view on this guys?

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    It's all about form, both can be bad if your form gets off. Better off bit lighter to maintain form.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by silverfox
    It's all about form, both can be bad if your form gets off. Better off bit lighter to maintain form.
    Totally agree with SF...the thing about upright rows as compared to shrugs in that your front delts really get involved in the movement. That is why when I do upright rows I do them as a anterior deltoid movement. Not for the traps, I will sometimes follow up with shrugs since this excercise has warmed the traps up.

sp9
    sp9 is offline MMA Competition Sentinel
    Try them on a smith machine to start.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    Along with the other Bro's suggestions .. When I decided to incorporate upright's (and I'm happy I did), I started out REAL light for the first few weeks; then, I progressively went heavier. Now I can go low reps to failure without any problems. But remember to use proper form, so I wouldn't do any forced/cheat reps with this one.

TheChosen1 is offline Member

ROTATOR CUFF INJURY

So far, my rotator cuff injuries have never started as a result of shrugs or upright rows. I've had 2 prior injuries with the latest taking almost 2 years to heal on its own.

My problem first started when I began using the Hammer Strength front delt press machine. I could never figure the best position for the seat and I think that's what did it to me.

Anchor is offline New Member
    You will not perhaps get injuries directly doing upright rows unless they are already stressed, From saying having done benches or push presses that workout.Then doing upright rows could lead to injuries for some. The reverse is true, doing rows before benching would also be a bad idea.

Thread Information