cadillacpimpin is offline New Member

Unhappy Skullcrusher gives me elbow pain!!

When I workout my triceps and I do skullcrushers I always get a sharp pain in my elbows. Does anyone have any tips or help that they can give me?

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    EZ Curl Bar

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Did em today, I'm finding that warming up good really helps reduce the pain.

palme is offline Rosie Member
    Make sure you warm up before doing SCīs! I fucked up in Feb and got a tennis elbow from it. Took about 1 month before i could to uper body work again.

D.L. is offline Junior Member
    My training partner got the same shit, guess it's better with the EZ bar...
    Maybe it'll help to eat a lot of fish oil, it's good for the joints...
    At a time I had some problems with my wrists but after I started eating 2g of omega3's a day I haven't felt a thing!

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Diesel
    Where are you bringing the bar down to?

I use to experience elbow pain when I would bring the bar down to my nose or forehead. Now I bring the bar down above my head. Less stress on the joint and you feel the movement a lot more.

D
    Diesel, I made that same mistake and the switch in movement made so much difference in the pain and workout.
    I was already taking Glucosamine/MSM/Chondritin which does wonders but it's strange how the smallest adjustments in form can aleviate needless pain.

jleighty17 is offline Associate Member
    i have bad elbows and cant do them at all becuase of the pain but i always use the pushdown ropes for tri's just stand with your back to the machine and pull the ropes over your head and out hits them hard and so easy on the elbows
    JLI

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    Warming up has already been mentioned, and that is the key to this problem. I used to get the same pain right at the point of my elbow. I found out it was the tendon that attaches there that was causing the pain. When you warm up you not only heat up the joint and strech the tendon some, it also creates acid which (I'm told) softens the tendon a bit.

cadillacpimpin is offline New Member
    Thanks for the help guys. I think that i am not warming up enough and I am going to try to warm up more. I bring the bar down above my head.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    if that doesn't work, don't do skull crushers.... there are other tricep exercises you can do

Yeah, try close-grip bench presses and tricep pressdowns.

drock8 is offline New Member

Talking

i don't know if u got a good reply yet, but use a ez curl bar, and don't raise the bar over ur eyes where ur arms are straight, rather push ur arms almost in a 45 degree angle up and away from ur head. it will keep the tension on the tri's and off ur tendons more.

Agenor is offline New Member
    When you do a real heavy sets elbow wraps may do a lot.

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Had the same problem and switching up to incline bench skull crushers alleviated a lot of that elbow pain....you're able to come behind your head a lot more comfortably adn the consensus seems to be that that is a significant component in reducing pain.

Babyweight is offline Female Member
    Also keep (if you don't already) your thumbs on an over grip with your wrists facing the ceiling and keeping them straight...Of course thats common sense but I see alot of people who bend their wrists back instead of keeping them straight. The thumb over grip has always helped me in ANY tricep exercise.

Baby

Thread Information