NaturallyAnabolic is offline New Member

Question Stretching between the sets?

I read on some places that if you "volume-stretch", that is stretching 15-30 secs between the sets throughout the workout, you'll have a larger "muscle-faschia" or something like that, and that its very good to do that for best muscular development. It was also stated that the old pro bodybuilder Tom Platz did it that way for especially his legs, that he made easy 10-rep deep squats with 660 lbs and then did stretching between all of his sets.

Is this necessary? What do you guys think about stretching between the sets?

NaturallyAnabolic is offline New Member
    Anybody...? I really would like to know more about this stretching subject, between the sets.
    Whats your opinions/knowledge?

H BOMB is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure about the whole theory thing but i find i get a better pump when i stretch in between. i do 2min stairmaster inbetween leg sets. killer

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    I agree .. stretching is very important between sets. Helps with growth, flexibility, and is good for your joints too.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    i find this topic interesting
    what are your guyz take on this

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    i love stretching between sets. Im not sure if it helps the pumps or size etc. but When i dont my muscles feel tight and i cant lift as heavy.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I talked to my doctor about this, he said basically its only necessary to stretch before u jump into your workout and stretch after your workout. The exercise will tend to shorten the muscle, and the stretching tends to return it to its natural length. At least thats as best as i can explain it. I find that when i'm cutting down, and a some what in the offseason also, that flexing/posing the bodypart i just did a set for, for 10-15 seconds immediately after the set helps tons. Kinda like doing a couple extra reps with no weight, it also really brings things together, and the biggest thing is that it really helps with posing, try to hold a pose for 15 seconds when u feel like your muscles are about to explode. Just my thoughts

Well, I start ALL my training routines with the 15-20 minutes full stretch I learnt at the Dojo when I used to do Aikido. Everything is stretched deeply.

The main reason being I do not want my weightlifting to make me stiff and unflexible so I can restart Aikido one of these days and not die when I set foot on the tatami (I can already hear my Sensei "Ah, here comes Mr. Muscle, the gym rat... let's demonstrate that strenght isn't everything... I leave the rest to your imagination!)

And between sets I'll give the part I just worked out a GOOD stretch. I don't know of it does any good, but it sure FEELS good!

Red

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    Originally posted by saboudian
    I talked to my doctor about this, he said basically its only necessary to stretch before u jump into your workout and stretch after your workout. The exercise will tend to shorten the muscle, and the stretching tends to return it to its natural length.
    The most force can be produced at resting length. So when you go back into your next set you should be able to produce a little more force than as if you didn't stretch.

Thread Information