tard_zone is offline Associate Member

Break from training

Hey guys, I have been training for about 5-6 months straight and decided to take a week off. Is a week off neccessary to promote future growth? I can help but feel counter productive when im not in the gym and I know I am loosing some weight, because I can see it in the mirror. So when are rest weeks neccessary and how beneficial are they?

kaptainkeezy04 is offline Anabolic Member
    they are beneficial when you have for certain hit a plateau. if you have been working out 5-6 months solid with no breaks, then you should definitely take one. you will more than likely grow, especially if you stay on your diet.

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    Rest weeks are necessary to let the body heal and allow the muscles/CNS get in a relaxed estate. Not giving the body/CNS a much needed break/rest to allow for recovery, your training can backfire, and hinder progression and muscle endurance/performance.

Having said that, every 12 weeks -assuming that you are constantly training, on a 5 day training program-, one should rest a least for a week or two. This is needed to balance between pushing the body/CNS into over training and the appropriate amount of time needed for general body/CNS/muscle recovery. As you might be aware, too much or too little of both (Training/Recovery) can be detrimental towards your goals. So just get that much needed rest that your body's asking for and keep your #1 ally when it comes to exercise and training in check. That is, your diet!
    Last edited by "Maximus"; 11-05-2008 at 05:00 PM.

I occasionally take 3 or 4 days off when life gets to busy and I am not able to go to the gym....since I have these, lets say, once a month, should I still be taking 7-14 days off every three months?

MuscleScience is offline ~AR-Elite-Hall of Famer~
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by "Maximus" View Post
    Rest weeks are necessary to let the body heal and allow the muscles/CNS get in a relaxed estate. Not giving the body/CNS a much needed break/rest to allow for recovery, your training can backfire, and hinder progression and muscle endurance/performance.

Having said that, every 12 weeks -assuming that you are constantly training, on a 5 day training program-, one should rest a least for a week or two. This is needed to balance between pushing the body/CNS into over training and the appropriate amount of time needed for general body/CNS/muscle recovery. As you might be aware, too much or too little of both (Training/Recovery) can be detrimental towards your goals. So just get that much needed rest that your body's asking for and keep your #1 ally when it comes to exercise and training in check. That is, your diet!
    Good post man, i totally agree.

Alright, good info there. But here is another question. I will be doing a 15 week cycle then take 2 weeks off after last shot than do a 3-4 week PCT so that is 20-21 weeks. So for my complete cycle should I be taking a week off while on cycle or wait till im completely done cycle and pct? Because when on gear, do the same training principles apply?

DSM4Life is offline Snook~ AR Lounge Monitor
    Blog Entries
    You grow outside the gym....

Quote Originally Posted by DSM4Life View Post
    You grow outside the gym....
    Yes I am aware of that, but as I mentioned do steroids change the rules a bit here? It seems weird to take a week off while on gear, but that's just what I think. So are you still supposed to take the one week off while on the cycle I mentioned above which will be a total of about 20 weeks?

"Maximus" is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tard_zone View Post
    Yes I am aware of that, but as I mentioned do steroids change the rules a bit here? It seems weird to take a week off while on gear, but that's just what I think. So are you still supposed to take the one week off while on the cycle I mentioned above which will be a total of about 20 weeks?
    You must use good judgement when it comes to this. First, you must listen to your body. Second, you should be able to measure your progress and determine how you've been doing. In any case, if you determine that your body can endure 5-8 more wks w/out rest go for it. However, keep in mind that your progress can potentially be hindered, whether you're juicing or not, if you don't give your body a break when it is truly needed!

-------

Thaks, MS for your comment! You're the true expert; I just happen to speak from experience.

You must use good judgement when it comes to this. First, you must listen to your body. Second, you should be able to measure your progress and determine how you've been doing. In any case, if you determine that your body can endure 5-8 more wks w/out rest go for it. However, keep in mind that your progress can potentially be hindered, whether you're juicing or not, if you don't give your body a break when it is truly needed!

-------

Thaks, MS for your comment! You're the true expert; I just happen to speak from experience.
    So if neccessary, I should take a week off while on cycle? It seems odd to be injecting through out the week and not working out. But if my body wants a break and Im not through the cycle, I should still take a break then?

Thread Information