daver is offline Junior Member

Question To trainer or not to trainer

I currently do all my lifting at home, have a decent set up for home but know I would get more results from a gym. So I'm gonna go join a gym, but the question I have is, should I hire a trainer to help me out. I love working out and when I get going I feel good and just want to do more and more, but also want to make sure I'm doing it right and doing all the excercises I need to do for the muscle groups. So would a trainer be to my advantage because I don't have a workout partner. Let me know what you bro's think.

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    I think a trainer is good idea, just make sure u get someone that is respectable and knows their stuff. I think u'll find that alot of things u were doing at home weren't necessarily the "right" way, and a trainer can be very helpful in turning u in the right direction. I worked out by myself for about 4 years, before i figured out what i was doing. I wish i would have had the chance to do it differently instead of wasting a lot of my time.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    It's pretty difficult to know everything. Even the top athletes have trainers. I think making the invest ment would be a good step in the right direction. The trainer can help you get yourself more involved into a free weight based program... safely.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    trainers are a good idea the problem is nowadays finding a good trainer. most trainers i've seen train people through one of the certification programs--instead of true hard core training. they are more like a psychiatrist(sp?) or a bartender who listens to your problems and talk with you about whats going on in your life rather than training people to grow.
    now i've seen some great trainers--but they are the ones who usually dont have many clients cause they train people hard and produce results,rather than listen to the person who they are training talking about who they are going out with friday night.

Red5 is offline Associate Member
    Waste of money if you ask me.All the trainers in my gym are nothing more than rep counters.I've watched them, they make clients use too much weight and bad form and end up lifting most of the weight for them.Read the magazines and look up on the internet and you will find all you need to know.

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    If you can find a good trainer then go w/ it for a month or so. I agree that there is wayyy to many kids coming out of college w/ degrees in fittness that have no idea what their talking about.
    There's a trainer at my gym that is maybe 110lbs...Now do you think i'd listen to him? lol Hell no...
    The best trainers belong to AR anyway ;-) And we're free

peaker is offline Senior Member
    Originally posted by MBaraso
    If you can find a good trainer then go w/ it for a month or so. I agree that there is wayyy to many kids coming out of college w/ degrees in fittness that have no idea what their talking about.
    There's a trainer at my gym that is maybe 110lbs...Now do you think i'd listen to him? lol Hell no...
    The best trainers belong to AR anyway ;-) And we're free
    no truer words have been spoken.

peaker

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    good one mb

go to the gym,find the biggest dudes there,watch them train and maybe ask them questions...dont listen to those 110lb dudes
    i always went to the biggest cause thats what i wanted to be

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    the biggest guy might be doing the right stuff but he might not know why he's doing certain things

Find a good qualified trainer. Someone with CSCS certification not some stupid ACE cert.

Thread Information