Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes

30 81.08%
  • no

7 18.92%
    usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member

Do you Deadlift regularly?

I been lifting for over a few years now and have never incorporated deadlifts into my workout. I'm now considering it to thicken my back. Now honestly how many people out there do deadlifts on a weekly basis?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    I add Deads in whenever I hit a plateau or need to renew my aggressiveness. I am thinking about working them in again after I get done with my current routine... and get off the gear.

I love how heavy Deads make everything seem light afterward , they make you feel huge and give you that "Don't fuck with me look", add thickness and train your core (lower back) and they leave me in tremendous pain in my upper back after... I have always add the midrange squeeze of my lats and traps.

I need to get a new belt though...

Lost Seraphim is offline New Member
    well, since there's a dead thread already started, I've been stuck at 255 lbs for months

I do that for 2 reps, then pyramid down to 4-6-8
    I'm also 6 ft 175 lbs, so I don't think that's my peak.

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    I do deadlifts on a weekly basis. I do 3 sets to failure on my leg day. Deadlift is my favorite exercise of all time. If you are looking for reasons to add it to your workout, it will make you stronger all over. I've got two tips for you, make sure you have perfect form. And I mean perfect form. I know sometimes on that last rep my form goes to shit because I'm trying so hard to get the weight up. With deadlifts you can really screw your back up going for that last rep like that. Its better not to get that last rep than get it with even slightly imperfect form. I know you can say that for any lift, but it is very important with deadlifts. Second tip, learn about 'hook grip' and master it, it helps so much. Oh yeah get some chalk.

Pheedno is offline Respected Member
    I alternate T-bars and deads from week to week on back day.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    I started doing deads regularly a couple months ago when I read how important they were on the forums...gotta love AR!

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    They're my main lift on back day. I'm a firm believer that to grow, stick with the basics:deadlift, flat bench, squat. Those 3 basic lifts are my core and I build my routine around those 3. Now if my back is bothering me that bay I either go extremely light or don't do them at all. I just love deadlifting or squatting heavy.....everyone in the gym stops and watches me rip out the reps....it's the greatest feeling.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    There is an illustrated article by ISSA on Conventional and Sumo Deadlifts. Written by Disa Hatfield, B.S. (Fred's ol' lady... daughter... WTF?)

This is part of it:

Deadlift: The Forgotten Exercise

Disa Hatfield, B.S.

The Deadlift is an integral, yet often missing component of a strength building program. That’s not to say that everyone should be performing this movement or one of its variations, but the benefits of the Deadlift for a power or strength building program are innumerable.

Muscles Worked
    The Deadlift is a compound exercise targeting several muscle groups including the latissimus dorsi, trapezius, erector spinae, gluteals, hamstrings, quadriceps, and psoas (hip flexors). Your forearm muscles, which are involved in gripping the bar, are used to a lesser degree, as well as muscles involved in trunk stabilization such as your obliques.

Benefits
    The Deadlift has many benefits. As a compound exercise, the movement spans three joints with extension occurring at the hip, knee, and ankle joints, thus utilizing several large muscle groups.(2) When compared to isolation exercises, compound movements that involve larger muscle groups elicit a hormonal training response that results in greater strength gains.(1) The dynamics of the lift itself may also lead to greater gains in hypertrophy. (1)
    The Deadlift also has possible rehabilitation benefits. It has been hypothesized that the moderate to high hamstring activity elicited during the Deadlift may help to protect the Anterior Cruciate Ligament during rehab.(2)
    The movement of the Deadlift translates well into real life as it mimics bending and lifting. Anyone who has a toddler is quite familiar with the motion of the lift already. Finish article here.

silverfox is offline Retired Moderator
    I work hams w/ back , so one week stiff leg deads (mainly for hams) next week normal deads for back (mostly) I find it one of best all round exercises for thickness in lower and upper back.

trimunex is offline Senior Member
    thanks for that link, Warrior.

Great link Warrior

I've always been afraid to mess my back with deadlifts... gonna give 'em a good try.

Red

muscle machine is offline New Member
    Personnaly I have 2 differents workout ,one with pull up , pull down, and chins and the second is with barbel row, t bar row and the best one
    dead lift .I have 2 diffrents workout beacause back is a very complex muscle with a lot of area ( up , mildel ,down ). So if you have no health probleme I advice you dead lift for strenght and mass for all your body

good training

mekler is offline Associate Member
    i can say that deadlifts are probably one of my most favorite exercises. i do them on back day, 3 sets between 4-6 reps.. sometimes i'll tone it down and lift lighter weight just for the hell of it. doing deads really brings out your back, talk about thickness! it makes you feel like an animal when you're all done

Well, I've been doing deads for 2 weeks now...

I'm so paranoid about my lower back, I actually have one of the bros at the gym watch me while I deadlift just to be sure my form is ok.

Even with near-perfect form my lower back (right above the glutes) was killing me for 3 days after This week my lower back was only sore for a day. I guess by next week it will be routine.

Red

Lift Chief is offline Member
    Deadlifts are definitely a key exercise in my opinion. Doing them helps protect you from lower back injuries as long as you keep good form.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    excellent link warrior

skid is offline Banned
    I do 3-4 set of straight-legged deads every time I do legs

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I think deadlifts are one of the main ingrediants in building a good back.

David B. is offline Member
    I like the results I get from deads, but for some reason I find it very easy to "forget" to do them. Last week I forced myself to do deads at the end of back day, and survived. It's back day again today, gotta run to the gym in a few minutes...

--dnb

majorpecs is offline Anabolic Member
    Blog Entries
    DEADS ROCK! I do deads every week on back day. I used to do them at the end, but after reading a thread about it, I decided to try them at the beginning and I love that even more. I am now on week 7 of my cycle , and currently my deadlift workout is 2x8 410lbs.......the rest of my back workout is a piece of cake!! If you don't do them, you have no idea what you are missing...give them a shot, you will LOVE the results. WARNING: If you are not hardcore, don't even think about incorporating deadlifts!

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    Deadlifts are definitely a great exercise, builds extradorinary thickness in the entire back and it has improved my grip many times. I also was born with a very week back and a special condition which hurt alot, physical therapy didn't do jack shit, but one day when i got over the fear of hurting my back and finally doing deadlifts i was amazed that i no longer have pain in my back ever.

If u can do them at the beginning of your workout, more power to ya. But after i do deadlifts, i really am dead and then the rest of my back workout sucks, so i just do em last. Just really practice and get the form down picture perfect, or u could really hurt yourself.

Carlos_E is offline National Level Bodybuilder/Hall of Famer/RETIRED
    I do deads first thing every week on back day. I love em.
    Muscle Asylum Project Athlete

MikeW is offline Associate Member
    Agree with all the above´s. I felt an incredible burn in my whole "traps area" that i´ve never felt when doing regular shrugs. My strenght has also boosted in many excersices.

Thread Information