Thread: Emg Relived

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer

Emg Relived

There was some posts about the EMG results of muscle stimulation using various exercises. I found this link on Tudor Bompa's site:

THE SCIENCE BEHIND THE PHYSIQUE: EMG RELIVED

Here are the other bodyparts from the same study - that were not published in the above article:

Anterior Deltoids
    Seated Front Dumbell Press; 79
    Standing Front Dumbell Raises; 73
    Seated Front Barbell Press; 61

Biceps Brachii (long head)
    Biceps Preacher Curls (Olympic Bar); 90
    Incline Seated Dumbell Curls (Alternate); 88
    Standing Biceps Curl (Olympic Bar/Narrow Grip); 86
    Standing Dumbell Curls (Alternate); 84
    Concentration Dumbell Curls; 80
    Standing Biceps Curls (Olympic Bar/Wide Grip); 63
    Standing E-Z Biceps Curls (Wide Grip); 61

Triceps Brachii (outer head)
    Decline Triceps Extensions (Olympic Bar); 92
    Triceps Pressdowns (Angled Bar); 90
    Triceps Dip Between Benches; 87
    One-Arm Cable Triceps Extensions (Reverse Grip); 85
    Overhead Rope Triceps Extensions; 84
    Seated One-Arm Dumbell Triceps Extensions (neutral grip); 82
    Close-Grip Bench Press (Olympic Bar); 72

Rectus Femoris (Quadriceps)
    Safety Squats (90 Degree Angle, Shoulder-Width Stance); 88
    Seated Leg Extensions (Toes Straight); 86
    Hack Squats (90 Degree Angle, Shoulder-Width Stance); 78
    Leg Press (110 Degree Angle); 76
    Smith Machine Squats (90 Degree Angle, Shoulder-Width Stance); 60

partyboynyc is offline Anabolic Member

very good post

i like to use EMG studies to pick my exercises.no wasted movements

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    great post warrior

Jackman is offline Banned
    Great info..... guna make me change a few things

Short_Guy is offline Junior Member
    For the decline triceps extensions (Olympic bar) could I sub in dumbells and get roughly the same effect?

Bump for solidj55

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    EMG has been proven an ineffective method, and really means nothing.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    what do you mean ineffective

I saw an article in Muscular Development proclaiming that the Leg extension was the most effective quad exercise according to an EMG study. This is just an example, but this is really nothing new, there have been quite a few articles proclaiming EMG useless.

Not only that, but i think that everyone knows that you can not simply stick to the same routine and the same exercises and expect significant progress.

symatech is offline Retired Moderator
    what about all the exercises they left out?

Quote Originally Posted by saboudian
    I saw an article in Muscular Development proclaiming that the Leg extension was the most effective quad exercise according to an EMG study. This is just an example, but this is really nothing new, there have been quite a few articles proclaiming EMG useless.

Not only that, but i think that everyone knows that you can not simply stick to the same routine and the same exercises and expect significant progress.
    How is it that they are useless or even worse... mean nothing? I am glad you desided to elaborate in your second post, so I'll bite...

Any scientific explanation on how your body reacts to different exercises is very helpful. None of it is useless. This is why I have not bought a magazine pub in awhile - they tend to be full of page filling garbage - or stuff to raise a stir... no real information. Muscular Development was a good one for awhile (my favorite), but it seems now they are starting to follow the FLEX (Weider pubs) trend on quality...

saboudian... buddy... you are reading too much into this. EMG results are just a way to help you pick helpful exercises. Or like they say on that Web page, "It is important to note that EMG research provides a necessary component to the vailidity of elite level program design.* However, one must acknowledge the importance of other factors such as planning, nutrition, supplementation and re-generation.* When turning to EMG research for optimal exercise selection, always keep in mind that there is a proper time and place for every exercise regardless of the % motor unit activation.* This impliesl that planning supersedes all EMG research findings, “If you fail to plan, you plan to fail”."

Also, Leg Extensions were rated second to Safety Squats in recruiting the quadriceps. But you need to interpret this. Of course traditional Squats and Leg Press will build big/strong legs (using maximum loads) - but they don't ISOLATE the quadricpes as much as a Leg Extension or Sfaety Squats would. They work Quads, Hamstrings, Glutes, and many other stabilizing muscle groups too. Where Quad Extensions focus on the quadriceps more... it's easy to see why this would score high. But should Leg Extensions be the only thing used for leg development? Fuck no!

EMG studies are a guide to use when planning training cycles... nothing more.
    Last edited by Warrior; 07-02-2003 at 06:54 PM.

So let me ask you warrior.

Because Close grip bench presses are last on that list, does that mean you will pay no attention to them because it is proven an inefficent exercise according to EMG?

Will this list really have an effect at all on your training?

Actually, I have been using Close Grip Bench Presses a lot lately as my heavy compound movement for triceps. The only comparable one IMO would be Weighted Tricep Dips. I have seen some serious horseshoe development with people using these as their bread and butter for Triceps - as well as in myself.

It's like this... you gots to frequently have a heavy movement... if not always. One that allows a maximum load on your body. For Chest it's Barbell Presses, Delts - Barbell Military Presses, Biceps - Barbell Curls, so on and so forth. Movements that use a maximum load to inflict maximum trauma will produce growth... period. Using heavy loads in different ways, such as pyramiding, drop setting, supersetting, and so on. Using movements that allow maximum weight with high intensity triggers all kinds of growth mechanisms. It burns up muscular CP/ATP faster and produces a good natural cocktail of anabolic hormones. Part of that feel good effect after a very good, intense workout is your body producing dopamine, testosterone , GH, and so forth...

BUT - using other movements to attack a muscle group from different angles to make sure the most recruitment is used will further exhaust the muscle group... leading to better gains. And the key to hypertrophy is to fully delfate the muscle so it will produce increased stores, aka... hypertrophy.

So would just using Decline Triceps Extensions be all you would need for big triceps? NO. However using Tricep extensions after a good compound movement, like Close Grip Presses, would. Or many other combinations.

A really good way to interpret EMG analysis would be if studies could be done to pair up movements that allow a 100% recruitment from the bodypart... or at least 99%...

If you arranged a Tricep workout using Close Grip Bench Presses, Decline Tricep Extensions and Angled Bar Triceps Pressdowns - there is a pretty good chance you will have totally exhausted the bodypart as long as the intensity is there. Together they attack the triceps from different angels and they all are excellent for recruiting the bodypart (two of them based on EMG studies). If you Giant Setted them with different rep ranges for about 20-30 mikes - I could pretty much guarantee you would be sore... and see new growth.

All this would also be for the intermediate to advanced trainee more than a beginner - beginners would do better using less isolation and more compound.

I don't know if I am making sense but put it this way - the Deadlift is an awesome exercise for growth and strength training. How would it rate on EMG? It doesn't really fully isolate anything... but rather your entire body when done correctly. Bottomline, EMG is just a tool to make more effective workouts.

Thread Information