Alfred is offline Junior Member

What do you guys think of this routine ?

Its just my Bicep / Back day but what do u guys think... any help would be awsome.

Incline Curls 3 sets of 8
    Hammer Curls 3 sets of 8
    Preacher Curls 3 sets of 8
    Single arm Cable Curls 3 sets of failure
    Forearm Curls 4 sets of failure

Iso Lateral Row 4 sets of 6
    T Bar Row 4 sets of 6
    Lat Pull Down (Wide) 4 sets of 6
    Lat Pull Down (Close) 4 sets of 6

15 Min Running
    10 Min Bike

I group my days like so :
    Bi's/Back/Cardio
    Tri's/Chest/Cardio
    Shoulders/Traps/Cardio
    Legs

Il post my other routines soon

What do i need to change ? add ? take off ?

I think im gunna start doing dead lift, ive never tried it before...

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    You are working the smaller muscle group more than the larger. Your back is much bigger than biceps. You could easily overtrain your biceps this way. Especially as a beginner with 5 months of training under your belt.

If you want to train for bicep size than do no more than one compound movement like Barbell curls followed by a super set of more rythmic motions like Incline Dumbell Curls and Reverse Grip Cambered Bars Curls (hits the forearms too). Rest intervals for training for size should be under 2 minutes... biceps should be no longer than 90 seconds. When training for size you want to deplete muscular ATP and CP stores completely so your body responds by hypertrophing the muscle to allow for more ATP/CP stores later. When trianing for strength you allow yourself longer rest so a greater load can be used.

This is basically why SOME of those guys that sit around and exercise their mouth more than their bodies do get stronger. They are accidently using longer rest intervals between sets which allows them to lift heavy. But none of them will get bigger.

Limit cardio on training days to 15 minutes warm up before resistance training at low intensity - at 18 years old you should only do cardio at a heart rate of 150 beats per minute... where you can still talk comfortably. Otherwise you risk your glycogen stores that you need in resistance training.

If you adding cardio to your routine is important for you, you should have a day set aside for longer cardio sessions or do a session seperated from resistance training. Cardio is best first thing in the morning when insulin levels are low and resistance trianing is better at night when your body is it's warmest.

I hope you are not training Biceps before back or triceps before chest unless you are trying to prioritize those muscle groups. You should start with the largest muscle groups first.

And yes, Deadlifts will help - A LOT. Everyone with good size and average genetics works in Deadlift or used them frequently as a Beginner and Intermediate. Be sure you read up on form... a thread was going around here about deadlifts recently. And have a good belt to protect your lower back.

Here is a basic fix. I put a compound movement first, adjusted your sets/reps for the bodyparts and deleted shit you don't really need. Change up the compound movements everyone in awhile... and the others too:

T Bar Row 4 sets of 5
    Iso Lateral Row 4 sets of 8
    Lat Pull Down (Close) 3 sets of 10
    Lat Pull Down (Wide) 3 sets of 12

Preacher Curls 4 sets of 6
    Incline Curls 3 sets of 10
    Hammer Curls 2 sets of 12

You can work out long or you can work out at full intensity - you can't do both.

I would suggest you change your split to this for your training level:

Back/Traps/Calves
    Chest/Shoulders
    REST AND EAT
    Quads/Hams
    Tris/Bis/Abs
    REST AND EAT
    REST AND EAT

I can add more about sets, reps, tempo and rest intevals for your routine if you post what is it you want to do? Endurance, Strength, Hypertrophy (growth)...

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    A back day with deadlifts:

Deads 4 sets of 5
    T Bar Row (close grip) 3 sets of 8
    Iso Lateral Row 3 sets of 10
    Lat Pull Down (Wide to the front) 3 sets of 12

TheGame826 is offline Member
    warrior you pretty much covered it all.
    do the deadlifts. and when training bi's as with any other muscle, you dont just have to do 8, why do 8 when you know you could sqeeze out 10 or 12 or 15. the only other thing id throw in for your back, is power clings. the clings will work your back and most of your entire body, but i ussally do it on my back day.

Thank you so much guys, il try this out on monday

what are power clings ?

and also do you think i could have harmed any potential my biceps had by traning them like i have been for the past little while ? or if i switch now should i be fine.

BTW, my goal right now is too lose weight, if you havent seen any of my other posts, i have 20% BF and want to lower it to 12-14%

After ive done that i want to add more muscle but try and keep my BF at my goals or lower...
    Last edited by Alfred; 11-24-2002 at 12:58 PM.

bump

what are power clings

what are power clings ?

by the way my main goal is to gain strength and add lean mass once ive lost a few fat lbs... my bench press is awful and for that reason i think ive ignored my chest in the past

I think as i gain strength in my chest i will also gain size because right now my chest is not big at all...
    Last edited by Alfred; 12-05-2002 at 03:49 PM.

Thread Information