cyberdude is offline New Member

working out once a week good or bad ?

hi guys ive been training now for over 2 months

currently im on a bulk,

but i train all bodyparts all on one night , once a week.

well i was thinking of changing it to 3 times a week,

well would i notice a diffrence going 3 times a week,? what i mean is would my musles grow quicker going 3 times a week,
    instead of going once per week?

any advice would be appretiated
    Last edited by cyberdude; 11-25-2002 at 07:48 PM.

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    To put it simply: YES.

If you have received any gains from your once per week routine it was all CNS and joint building. A detraining effect can happen if you lay off for 6 days all the time. You create the response, feed it and then the detraining syndrom catabolizes it since your body does not think the demand for change was necessary. Also you could not possibly work your entire body with full intensity all in one day.

Bottomline brah, you have to make your body want to change. And a once per week split will not provide enough stimulis. On the other hand you can overtrain too - so don't go overbaord at first. Moving on to a 3 day split would be very beneficial... 5 times over.

Mike62200 is offline Associate Member
    yeah bro, 1 day a week is not good. go to 3 days something like chest/tris back/bis legs. you can throw shoulders in with the back workout if you want. I think youd be alot better off than traiaing all 1 day.

Jdawg50 is offline Anabolic Member
    Once a week, did you really need to ask this question bro? Everyone here on the board recomends rest but not 6 days a week . Good luck 3-4 X a week at least is what I would say.

thanx alot guys for the advice,

i asked because theres a guy at my gym whos been going there for a long time,

he said, " you dont need to go to the gym 3 times a week,
    1, theres no diffrence from going once a week to going 3 times a week you will still have the same muscle gowth.
    2, is just waisting money, as you will build the same amount of muscle from going once a week,

he was saying, you can gain the same amount of muscle from going once a week"

thats why i kept to my oce a week workout.

well i guess he is wrong!!
    i actully beleved him as he had been at the gym long before me, so i thought he knew his stuff , but obviously he dosent
    at least now i know, looks like 3 times a week from now on
    Last edited by cyberdude; 11-25-2002 at 08:36 PM.

Mike62200 is offline Associate Member
    bro, if you listen to every asshole who tries to tell you "THE WAY" to get big you will be doomed to a miserable existence of weakness. Find what works best for you. Look at what others do for ideas, but in the end its all about what works best for you. become an expert on yourself. try new techniques and trainin splits till you find one thats puts some rock on you. Also remember that when you find what works its not gonna work forever, your gonna have to change it up sometimes to keep gettin results.there is a ton of great info on this board, not just about juice but about training and diet(more important than juice anyway) use the search tool. good luck bro

Originally posted by cyberdude
    thanx alot guys for the advice,

i asked because theres a guy at my gym whos been going there for a long time,

he said, " you dont need to go to the gym 3 times a week,
    1, theres no diffrence from going once a week to going 3 times a week
    2, is just waisting money, as you will build the same amount of muscle from going oce a week,

he was saying, you can gain the same amount of muscle from going once a week"

thats why i kept to my oce a week workout.

well i guess he is wrong!
    at least now i know, looks like 3 times a week from now on
    If I had a nickel everytime I heard the "a guy at the gym" or "everybody at the gym" story I'd have a thick stock portfolio finally

People at the gym talk a lot. And since testosterone is higher in the gym - ya tend to hear some stupid stuff from stupid people. I GUARANTEE THIS GUY KNOWS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING ABOUT TRAINING. Tell him to go back to his Richard Simmon's videos and reading his Cosmo because you are actually looking for results!

It also depends on genetics. If this guy is a blessed Mesomorph and naturally lean and muscular - then good for him. But he would get even better results by training correctly. My guess is he is nothing near in good physical shape.

When it comes down to general health, than sure... one day is better than nothing. But the results you will get from a new 3 day split will help take your physique and goals out of a beginner stage. And in 6 months when you see him doing the same stuff and looking the same... he won't be passin' anymore terrible advice.

In about 4-6 months you should add another day too. Move on to a 4 day split. After a year you will get the best results from most 5 day splits. And you will surely be at an Intermedate level and in good shape. If you become happy with where your physique is, then maintenance can be back to a simple 3 day split.

Most advanced athletes need 6 day splits - those in good condition mentally and physically for training to handle the load without overtraining. Generally after about 2 years of training and an athletic background. They need to allow bodyparts more rest between workouts. Someone Bench Pressing 405 lbs will obviously need more rest before their next chest workout than someone who Bench Presses 135 lbs. Your muscles hypertrophy but your organs don't... to put it simply.

Cheers!

ok thanx guys for the advice i will certanley be moving to a 3 day workout from now on

just a question Warrior

Mike62200 suggested a 3 day workout like chest/tris back/bis legs
    well when i train bi,s & tri,s im uselly sore for around 4 days, so what should i do if say its my back/bicep day and my biceps are still sore?
    should i still train them or leave them out, as would feel lost leaving my biceps out on my back/bicep day.

and thanx guys, for the advice, nice to actully get some advice off people who know

Originally posted by cyberdude
    ok thanx guys for the advice i will certanley be moving to a 3 day workout from now on

just a question Warrior

Mike62200 suggested a 3 day workout like chest/tris back/bis legs
    well when i train bi,s & tri,s im uselly sore for around 4 days, so what should i do if say its my back/bicep day and my biceps are still sore?
    should i still train them or leave them out, as would feel lost leaving my biceps out on my back/bicep day.

and thanx guys, for the advice, nice to actully get some advice off people who know
    You're body will become more effecient with time. No need to use forced reps or other advanced techniques (drop sets, super sets, ...) No need to go to absolute failure in your first 4 weeks. Mike's suggestion is a good one and will allow muscle groups to be worked again as a secondary involvement in the other workout. Besides realizing the secondary involvement you also want to take into account large vs small body parts. For example working Chest, Back, and Legs would be too much in one day to be able to train with enough intensity for all of them. Also work large muscle groups before smaller ones (unless prioritizing - which you do not need to do right now).

Other things need to be taken into account too... especially more personal-based, like your experience and somotype... But anyway...

Here is a full 3-day split for you:

DAY 1: Chest/Tris/Bis/Abs
    DAY 2: REST AND EAT
    DAY 3: Quads/Hams/Calves
    DAY 4: REST AND EAT
    DAY 5: Back/Delts/Abs/Calves
    DAY 6: REST AND EAT
    REPEAT

Each bodypart is worked once every 6 days. This is an average workout since you do seem to have some training history a more advanced-beginner, per se - for average genetics. If you start to feel groggy take an extra day off. That is better than quitting all together. But this split allows enough rest that you should move right along.

Use compound movements as the core of your routine. Bench Press, Squats, Barbell Curls, Tricep Dips, Deadlifts (?), Stiff-Leg Deadlifts, Military Press (to the front) - these are all examples of good compound movements. No cable or isolation stuff... total trianing time should not exceed an hour. Rest intervals between sets should be 60-90 seconds. Use rep ranges of 8-12 for now and no need to go to total failure or use a spotter for forced reps. Ease into it so your CNS (the mind-muscle connection) and joints strengthen first - both are evident if you are incredibly wobbly or shaky doing this. Once you are more fluid in your movements start training heavier and to complete failure.

YOUR ON YOUR WAY!

thanx warrior m8 great post i wil give it a try m8
    thanx again

Thread Information