im_working_on_it is offline New Member

Can someone help me here

I have been working out for 2 years, but just recently I have started to do long periods of cardio (45mins) so my question, I do weights for about 45min to an hour, and then after that I go to cardio for 45 mins.
    I know your suppse to take a protein shake within a few minutes of working out. Since Im doing cardio right after am I losing out on the protein intake, thus loosing a chance to gain muscle because its about 50minutes after I finish weights before I get a shake? or since my heart is still beating fast, is it just like a longer workout and Im not losing my chance to gain muscle?thanks
    Chris

viking250 is offline New Member
    If you are trying to gain mass do not do cardio. Or if you must do not do it on the same days that you lift.

THis is what I do. Cardio:Sunday,Tuesday,Thursday. Lift: Monday, Wednesday, Friday.

Try to get as many meals in you as possible between workouts.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    your cardio should complement your weight training. So it depends on what your goals are and periodizing your program. I assume you came to this board to get BIG. Keep your cardio workouts at 15-20 mins at a fairly high pace (beyond OBLA).
    You won't grow big if you're loading all your muscle fibers with mitochondria

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    If you are trying to put on some size..cut the cardio out completely. If you are traing to cut. You are doing the right thing. If you can't live without the protein shake right after your workout then hit cardio in the AM.

15-20 mins of cardio at a high pace will not burn fat as readily as 30-45 mins of cardio at a moderate pace keeping your heart rate in the fat burning target heart rate. It will simply just work your cardiovascular system with minimal stimulation for fat loss.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    he should'nt be too concerned with fat at this point. He's trying to bulk. Stimulation of the heart muscle is the primary reason i do cardio anyways, burning fat is secondary.

Shredz is offline Respected Member
    I am not talking about doing cardio for the heart. What I am saying is if he is trying to put on mass he shouldn't be wasting the calories on his cardio. And I totally agree don't worry about putting on a few extra pounds of fat while bulking it will do you some good.

muscle machine is offline New Member
    hello man .

I think you overtraining if you want mass forget cardio ,or juste 3 time maxi 20 minutes whith a low intensity .do another cycle later if you want to be more dry but not both .

goud training!

thanks for all the replys, here are some stats
    170lbs 5'8, bodyfat is 11% i want to stay the same size while losing more bodyfat, while I'm doin the 45 min cardio, i keep the my heart rate between 162-186 beats per minute
    another question, should i take my protein shake between weights and cardio, or since Im keeping my heart rate up, or does it not matter because im keeping my heart moving? thanks
    Chris

ttttt

Thread Information