SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member

Zero carb and hitting a wall working out

I hadn't seen any posts with this topic, so forgive me if it's a common question. I've been asking everyone I know this, because I like to see what the common opinion is:

I'm a week into a strict no carb diet (prob around 10g a day) and plan on keeping this up for 10 weeks, then going back to mass. I've done this once before with decent results, although a little less strict and a little more time (a few months). But this time I'm trying it diehard. I don't lose weight easy, and I'm keeping calories around 1500 and adjusting once I see how I feel. I'm 5'10 and just over 200.

My first question is- for you guys who do strict keto diets, do you change your workout routine during cutting periods? I tend to work legs once a week, and upper twice a week, usually 3x8 per exercise. A week into the keto, I'm finding that I'm running out of gas during a set a lot easier- where normally I could get 8 with a given weight, I suddenly can't get past 6. This doesn't surprise me, since hey, I'm dieting, it's to be expected. But should I keep at it as is? Lower weight? Just curious what you folks do.

Second question is- I'm also debating whether or not to do a carb up day. I was planning to, although there's a guy I know who's a monster and he says that when he diets, he rarely does any carb ups. I was planning on doing a carb up on the rest day before leg day, since leg days take the most out of me. I've also been toying with the idea of a (I believe they're called) TKD, where you engulf some smarties/sweetarts right before a workout, and that gives you your workout carbs, without a carb day. Never tried doing that, so don't know how well it works.

Hey, at least the cravings are gone Now all I need is time!

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure how best to answer so i'll start from the begining.---i think low carb diets with moderate fat and high protein are great but i dont like a 10 gram carb per day diet
    those are great for a normal person but not someone lifting weights. the body needs carbs to fuel the muscles and the brain needs carbs for thought
    at 10 grams per day without a pre workout drink full of effederine you will have no enegry

what i do when i diet,and it works great, is 2 days at under 75 grams carbs,then 1 day at about 125 carbs,then 2 more days at under 75 grams then 1 day at under 50 then the 7th day eat anything all day.
    what this does is help maintain energy while burning fat,weight drop may be a little slower but it will be more consistant and keepable

SneakerSeven is offline Junior Member
    Funny you should say that, I am using a preworkout drink with ephedrine

I'm thinking for the time being I'm going to experiment and see what I can get away with while still keeping workouts feeling full. Not having done this before, I suppose it's trial and error!

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Originally posted by Tapout
    i'm not sure how best to answer so i'll start from the begining.---i think low carb diets with moderate fat and high <a href="http://www.allsportsnutrition.com/listproducts.php?style=category&value=PROTEIN" target="_blank">protein</a> are great but i dont like a 10 gram carb per day diet
    those are great for a normal person but not someone lifting weights. the body needs carbs to fuel the muscles and the brain needs carbs for thought
    at 10 grams per day without a pre workout drink full of effederine you will have no enegry

what i do when i diet,and it works great, is 2 days at under 75 grams carbs,then 1 day at about 125 carbs,then 2 more days at under 75 grams then 1 day at under 50 then the 7th day eat anything all day.
    what this does is help maintain energy while burning fat,weight drop may be a little slower but it will be more consistant and keepable
    I will have to agree here, with 10grams of Carbs a day, guess what your body is using as fuel, PROTEIN. That's right Protein. I read an article at our gym that stated all the health risks of no carb diets. There is a differeence in no carbs and LOW CARB DIETS. Your body needs carbohydrates to sustain normal body functions. so cutting them completely out of your diet is not a good thing, from a healthy stand point. My rule of thumb is if I am on a LOW CARB diet, I consume all of my carbs in the morning, still at about 100-250 carbs a day, then say around 3:00 I consume no less than 10 carbs until the next morning. I think people have gotten this no carb and low carb diet thing mixed all the hell. Even Atkin's diet, does not suggest NO CARBS. Bump your carbs up, and try to eat the majority before lunch everyday, you will get the energy you need, and not have to worry about fat storage. Try it, it works, I done this for years and lost a trememdous amount of fat.

mekler is offline Associate Member
    good info Sicilian, i for one can vouch for this from personal experience. you dont want to be on a NO carb diet.. i did it, i lost a lot of fat and a lot of hard earned muscle, and now i'm kicking myself in the @$$ because i didnt research more.

kenshin is offline New Member
    ok this is my first post, I am new to the forum AND the practice.
    my question is... What if someone where to slam carbs in the morning and no more fore the rest of the day? would that work to meet both ends

kenshin is offline New Member
    the above was ment on work out days.

Sicilian30 is offline Respected Member
    Kenshin, that is fine, I know guys that do that sort of things. Everything has this frame of mind that carbs are bad for you, well to much of anything is bad. It just so happens that most of the foods that we eat have the majority of carbs and sugars in them. Also remember there are two types of carbs, simple and complex.

Tapout is offline Senior Member
    agree sicilian
    carbs in morning or before workout and complex carbs not simple sugar carbs

in simple terms
    complex carbs taken too much will make you fat
    simple sugar carbs taken at even moderate doses will make you fat

to do good in leaning have a high protein --moderate fat-- low carb diet with carbs taken in early part of day and complex carbs taken when eating carbs.
    eat fat so body will shed fat but stay away from saturated fats
    eat protein all day long split into 5-6 meals with plenty of water

Thread Information