dudsy is offline Junior Member

? on squat technique

hey guys,had a quick search but couldn't find anything so my question involves squatting technique. i just want to know peoples opinion of squatting with raised heels(using wood, 2.5lbs plates etc). up until now i havent used anything but im sure i read somewhere that raising your heels takes some strain off your knees?

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    I know a great way to eliminate the stress put on your knees by squats... don't do squats! Okay enough joking. I have never heard anything about raising your heels while doing squats. I have seen people do it in the gym before but they are the people who use smith machines for squats so I don't put much stock in anything they do. I say just don't go too deep with heavy weight and you should be fine. Too deep would be going past having your thighs parallel to the floor. If you are having a hard time doing that try box squats. Thats when you sit down on a box (or something else) while doing squats. Just make sure the thing you are sitting on is high enough so your thighs are parallel with the floor when you sit on it.

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    stick your ass out more and bend at the hip a bit more so the weight is more over top of the knees

arnoldwannab is offline Associate Member
    dudsy, everytime that I squat I always have my heels raised! WHen doing this, it puts more stress on your quads aposed to your hams, also bring your calvs into play. I also have noticed that I can squat much more weight when I have my heels raised. I have put on about three inches to my upper quads naturally since I have started this, and recomend doing it to anyone!

dudsy is offline Junior Member
    thats interesting arnold, i usually squat in a raised heel boot which i say would have the same effect i'd image.

Thread Information