Thread: Forearm work

D.L. is offline Junior Member

Forearm work

I'm currently doing some overhand/reverse grip curls and some grasp movements (don't know they're really called), but I'm gettin pain in my wrists when doing the curls with heavy weight...
    What other exercises would be good??

Adrock is offline Junior Member
    I've always liked reverse barbell curls. They work your brachioradialis pretty well. My forearms always feel big after doing those. I also got a 'Ivanko Supergripper' which is awsome. I think the grip work really helps my forearms. Another good grip/forearm exercise which I don't know what to call is when you have a rod/pipe with a string attached to a weight and you roll it up. I used to try wrist curls and reverse wrist curls but it always hurt my wrists, so I stick with what I just mentioned.

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    I have 2 of those Nolan Ryan Grip blasters. I'm sure there are other makers but it is a chamber you stick your forearm in and you squeeze and pull forword with your wrist. You can also put a weight on a rope attached to a round broom handle thing and roll it up. It really burns me out. Learned this from baseball in high school.

ok... I never heard about the broom and rope trick but maybe I should try it...

brad fuel is offline Junior Member
    the weight on a rope and stick is awesome. Someone told me Joe Sakic had to do that when he was younger as punishment or something

palme is offline Rosie Member
    I havnt done the rope & stick myself but i remember a friend doing that when he was 12-13 or something and his wrists exploded. Itīs something i need to try!

palme is offline Rosie Member
    LOL no but they grew like hell.

Gee usually 12-13 year olds get PLENTY of wrist exercise

But seriously, since my forearms are puny I also work the crap out of them with the broomstick+rope trick as well as wrist curls, wrist reverse curls and the reverse barbell curls.

By the time I finish the forearms workout, they get REAL firm.

Red

Zottman curls...

not bricht eisen is offline New Member
    The forearm is a tough area to work, but the rope and weight idea is a good idea or you can get a
    racquet ball and squeeze it as well...there is another thing called a towel drill..simply take a towel drape it over
    a pull-up bar and hang by the towel and then using your grasping and forearms pull
    yourself up. i guarantee you'll feel it without all that wrist pain...you'll make popeye
    look like some amateur...

The forearm is a tough area to work, but the rope and weight idea is a good idea or you can get a
    racquet ball and squeeze it as well...there is another thing called a towel drill..simply take a towel drape it over
    a pull-up bar and hang by the towel and then using your grasping and forearms pull
    yourself up. i guarantee you'll feel it without all that wrist pain...you'll make popeye
    look like some amateur...
    Sounds good but isn't it somewhat the same as doing normal pullups or pulls to the chest?
    Guess it's worth a try!

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    I am an advocate of heavy pulling movements for forearm work. Deadlift, shrug and chin heavy never using straps. Oh yeah, squeeze the bar or dumbell when you do bicep curls. Then after any back or bicep work finish off with a few drop sets of weighted rope wrist rolls. I like to go high reps on these, until I cannot roll the weight up with 10lbs on it. You will get a nasty ass pump.....but that is a good thing.

BMANN is offline Associate Member
    I saw the Rock explaining about the towel drill before wrestling one night. So I tried it and it works pretty good.

seniormateus is offline Associate Member
    Not Brich teisen whats up big dawg... whoof whoof whoof haaha, your first post and props out to you you are a bad ass trainer at our towns most expensive gym. No listen to all these guys and we'll get you ready for arena ball and then the nfl! Welcome aboard!!!

dern180 is offline Member
    I might try that rope and broom stick workout my wrist's are small and thee starting to get pain in them and any work out would be nice to use too.

babi is offline Associate Member
    stand up and hold with your fingers two 45 lbs weight for as long as you can

caladin is offline Junior Member
    http://www.ironmind.com/faq_grippers.shtml

http://www.ironmind.com/griptip.shtml

http://www.ironmind.com/crushed.shtml

++++++++++=

Mastery of Hand Strength by John Brookfield

Absolutely the best book available on grip training, written by a guy who can roll up a frying pan with his bare hands.

Thread Information