Eddie is offline New Member

Exclamation breathing during chest workout

good day everyone i was at the gym today and i was thinking that my breathing during my chest workout is effecting my workouts.. can you please explain the way you breath? in detail like when u inhale, exhale thanks

Well, most of my breathing comes natural from years of martial arts training (Aikido), but basically, I exhale on most pushing motions and inhale on pulling motions

So bench presses I exhale hard as I push the bar up. Upright row, I inhale hard as I pull up the bar.

The theory being that when pushing, a good hard exhale helps you channel all your strenght (both physical and technical) in your motion. The kiai scream you hear in so many asian martial arts is actually partly for that purpose.

Red

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    Red's right.......inhale on negative lift, exhale on positive.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    it's very important to breath as we all know.. but your muscles require more oxygen during strenious exercises/then not. It's important to breath. It's funny how natural breating comes after a while. I remember when i first started lifting how i would hold my breath hahaha. Now i don't even have to think about it.

Another thing I do a lot is hyper-oxygenating my blood for 3 seconds before a set starts. You take in and exhale 3 "lung busters" (fill your lungs to capacity and then empty them as much as you can), then inhale hard, and lift.

This gives more oxygen to your blood stream which in turn allows you to lift harder. Works for me

Red

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Originally posted by Red Ketchup
    Another thing I do a lot is hyper-oxygenating my blood for 3 seconds before a set starts. You take in and exhale 3 "lung busters" (fill your lungs to capacity and then empty them as much as you can), then inhale hard, and lift.

This gives more oxygen to your blood stream which in turn allows you to lift harder. Works for me

Red
    The idea seems logical... i think im gonna give it a try.

Thread Information