ASnoobie is offline New Member

Question Working out with lighter weights Question

Will lifting lighter weights help burn fat? I've come to the point where I can't lift heavy weights. For example i can only bench (incline) 145 pounds, I seem to can't past that point. So I was wondering if I drop down to 125-120, work out with this weight, more reps and sets, will it help me lose/burn fat?

My goal is not to get big, just need to lose excess body fat and then cut up.

I do cardio and I have a pretty clen diet, but I don't eat 5-6 times a day, more like 3-4 times.

Any help is appreciated...

Thanks

calidude is offline Senior Member
    yes it has been proven that when you lift weight while doing cardio and a low carb diet it is better than just the diet/cardio alone.

Yung Wun is offline Member
    this is just a basics without getting into too much detail
    lifting lighter weights will help in toning up and detail
    but heavy lifting as well can be helpful too
    any weight training encorporated in your exercise agenda will help burn more calories= more fat loss

i have a question for you
    do you only want to tone up because your reached a plateau??

RoNNy THe BuLL is offline Anabolic Member
    If you're looking to tone up and are planning on going on a low to no carb? I honestly believe and support 100% that you should screw the cardio and modify your weight training. Do either Circuit Training, Supersets or Drop Sets and cut your rest time. Cardio just eats away at hard earned muscle, and if you change up your training, your heart doesn't have a brain to tell the difference, but physiologically, you'll be preserving a lot more muscle.

And higher reps are a benefit, believe it or not, they can actually spike muscle growth. It's all about neuron overload my friend, if you're constantly going heavy, go to a weight that you can handle for 16 reps. And keep your reps like this: 16,14,12.

Perfect example, this dude in the gym, strong as an ox. Could bench 405 no problem for 3 and then died. We trained, and it was a light week for me, so he was laughing at me pushing up 135lbs for 16 reps. I asked him to do the same, he laughed and said he'll throw up 20 reps. No problem? Wrong. He died at 14. He was exhausted too and burnt out after our workout. Now, for one week a month, he'll switch over to high reps to keep his neuron signal strong and stimulate growth.

Good luck.

calidude is offline Senior Member
    Ronny I thought he really died. i need to learn how to read better

ASnoobie is offline New Member
    do you only want to tone up because your reached a plateau??
    I want to tone up in general...I don't think I can ever get big. Been trying on and off for abour 5-6 years, can't seem to do it. But I will be happy with some definition instead.

Thanks

MarkyMark is offline Member
    Great reply Ronny !

I am a firm believer in Dropping carbs BIG TIME !

Diet is 80% of your progress ! Keep your calories low your fats low and your carbs even lower ! The only high you be getting is on protein ...

Do your aerobics at least 5 days a week your weights 3 days or so....
    but try and have activity everyday !!!

Good luck

Maytag is offline Junior Member
    what exactly does "tone" up mean?

why lift light to tone up?
    how would light weights tone you up?
    you tone up by stripping bodyfat don't you?

all that lifting lighter will do for you is fatigue your muscles not overload it to cause growth, to speed up metabolism, like you want

why not keep lifting heavy as you can, adjust your diet, and do cardio....
    thats the best way to tone up
    Last edited by Maytag; 12-24-2002 at 12:08 PM.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I sort' of mix mine up, instead of just going heavy or just going light, I sometimes do this....

on your main lift, say leg day it's squats, well I'll do 4 sets as heavy as i can go for sets of 8,6,6,4 and then my other lifts I'll lift lighter weight for sets of 10-12 slow very controlled lifts. I get pretty good results with this and usually try to do it every few weeks.

Thread Information