MDMA is offline Banned

Same Muscle: 2 Days in a row

Does anyone know if its good/bad/doesn't matter if I lift heavy on the same muscle group two days in a row? I didn't quite attack them enough today as I'd like to.

Can I blast them again tomarrow without effecting their growth or risking injury? Thx

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Not a good idea. If it was a low intensity workout, let it go and wait at least a day or two before hitting it again. But you said "heavy"... did you train to falilure, forced reps,... ?

MDMA is offline Banned
    I went to failure for about 4 sets on the leg press. Hardly touched the squats or leg extension machine and absolutely no dead lifts. Also, 3 light sets on my calves.

So I guess you could say it was pretty light except the leg presses.

If you only did 4 sets on the leg press than I would just wait 2 days and nail them again.

Calves are another story... they recover faster than pretty much any other bodypart - but again you shouldn't blast them everyday.

You mean with all that Prop running through you - you only did 4 sets? What, too much Testosterone you couldn't focus? ... Did you take the front desk girl into the bathroom for some cardio midworkout? LMFAO

MDMA is offline Banned
    Ugh, it's morning now and I can feel those 4 sets of presses for sure. Calves, like you said is a different story.

All that prop and only had about 40 minutes in the gym, was pressed for time. But ya, like you said - I got my 3 sets of cardio in that night in the bedroom.

I'm really tying to focus on my calves - that's one of my goal areas for this cycle. You said they recover fast, how fast? As of now Im only doing them once a week on leg day.

Maybe I'll step it up a notch and hit them on twice a week.

Warrior: How fast would you say it takes the chest to recover, Im trying to focus on that as well..

You calves recover faster because of their fiber type, which is from being used so much - they are more effecient than say... chest - which is not used nearly to the same degree in everyday life.

As a general rule based on a normal workout you can estimate about 3-4 days rest for small bodyparts and 5-6 for larger. Obviously there are soooooo many variables that effect recovery time that... like workout intensity, age, sex, experience, training goal, AAS and so on and so forth...

But yes, because of the fact that calves can recover faster you should work them more than once per week.

Starting to see why training a bodypart on certain days of the week makes little sense? The old Monday is Chest day thing works less for you as you get more advanced. They all recover differently and that depends on how hard you worked them.

chicamahomico is offline Respected Member
    Hey buds,
    what I do when I want to improve a lagging muscle group or a lift that's fallen behind is specialize. You should find the 1 or 2 muscle groups that you feel need the most work and design the rest of your routine around the workouts that focus on the lagging muscle groups. As for wait time between same muscle workouts what Warrior said pretty much sums it up. I will give you some food for thought though. In some phases of periodization it could be appropriate to say squat two days in a row, but neither day would be at high intensity or high volume. If you were doing squats to increase the total workload on a day prior to doing a leg workout you might throw in a few sets of sub 70% max squats. Also if you were practicing a complex lift ( snatch, clean, etc ) this situation becomes a reality that needs to be dealt with. This is why periodization was developed, all of the quick lifts use the entire body and training was daily, so workout loading and volume needed to be carefully planned.

Sorry if I babbled on endlessly. Hope this helps some.

Thread Information