jurewix is offline Junior Member

what do u think of my workout?

i have been reading poelpe workout routines, and mine seems different i was just wondering what poeple think.
    Monday i do chest, bicep, tricep and legs
    Tuesday i do shoulders, back and abs
    Weds. rest
    Thursday , same as Monday workout
    Friday same as Tuesday work out.

I see that poeple do chest and shoulders the same day , but i like doing bench , incline for chest and ,military for shoulders. If i did those the same day i dont think i would have any energy , well let me know what you think, im in high school so im goin by my football workout which is also the nebraska college football workout.
    thanks Jurewix

MBaraso is offline Retired Mod
    I think your trying to do too much in one day.
    Try spliting things up better.
    If your going for mass try doing one body part a day.
    If you don't like that idea you can try something like:
    Mon: Chest & Back
    Tues: Legs
    Weds Shoulders and traps
    Thurs: off
    Fri: Bi's and tri's

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Yeah - switch it up. MBraso has a better split for you. I certainly don't see how you could do Legs with all those other bodyparts in the same day... Legs include the largest muscles in your body... give them more priority.

thanks for your opinion, but the thing is that i dont feel that pumped when i work a certain muscle just one time a week, thank you for your help , but is it BAD working the muscles 2 times a week, i am giving them 72 hours of rest, im just wondering , will it make me weeker, or will my strength not increase ? oh and for the legs , im just gona do three sets of squats , with a warm up set, i know i should do more but im not that focused on them. let me know your incite

Well if you're not getting a good pump from working 1 bp a week then there's something wrong w/ either the exercise's your doing, or the reps & sets, or both.
    Post your whole workout w/ the exercises you do, the reps and the sets.
    That's probably the problem...

ok , well here was my workout for today:
    Chest bench press- warm up , 250 x 3, 265 x 3, then 285 x 3, i only got the 285 1 time tho
    incline - 205 x 5, 220 x 5, 235 x 5, i got all 5 for last set.
    decline - there is a machine , i did 10 lbs, then 15, then 20 , each 10 times
    fly machine , 100 110 120 each 10x

bicep- flat barbell , 115 x 5, 125 x 5, 135 x 5, last set 4 times
    hammer dumbell, 40 , 50 , 55, first 2 sets 10 times each , last i did 8 times each
    bicep machine- 45 x10 , 3 sets

tricep pushdown, 60, 70 , 80 x 10 , got all 3 sets ten times
    tricep seated overhead extention w/ dumbells 20, 25, 30 x 10 , got all 3 sets 10 times
    tricep kick backs 30 lbs x 10 reps , 3 sets , got all 3 sets
    then i did forarms

tomorrow i my shoulder and back day
    what do u think

im thinkin about splitting it up like u said , but i have a few quesions , i am planning on doing a cycle at the begginig of march, can i work a muscle twice a week or should i stick to the once a week and also , can u give me an idea of how many sets i should do for each muscle, for example like my chest and back day as u say, would bench press, incline decline and a mechine , totalling 12 sets be enough for my chest , and another 12 sets for my back be good, what should i do for my back, lat pulldown , rows, please give me more exercises
    thanks

In order to correctly fine tune your workout and rest days we would need to know more about you. You could begin by finishing your profile or posting some stats here... like age, height, weight, training experience, goals (size, strength, endurance, sport specific...)...

You sound like you are working toward this type:

Day 1: Chest, Biceps, Triceps
    Day 2: Quads, Hams, Calves
    Day 3: EAT AND REST
    Day 4: Back, Shoulders, Abs
    Day 5: EAT AND REST
    Day 6: EAT AND REST
    REPEAT

Do Legs tomorrow to allow the secondary muscle involved today to recover. This split allows each bodypart to get worked every 6 days with plenty of recovery time.

DON'T NEGLECT LEGS! The hormone response you get from working legs is beneficial enough - you get a good natural testosterone and GH spike. And, your body want symetry and some plateaus in upper body development can be ironed out by simply working your legs correctly.

I am 17 turning 18 in a few months , i have been lifting for 4 years, i am 5' 11" , 215 pounds, the past few years for football we have been lifting like i said in my first post. chest, bi's, tri's and squats one day, day 2 back shoulder and abs, day 3 rest, and day 4 and 5 same as 1 and 2. I am looking for mass, but i want my strength to go up more. thats why i was wondering if i work a muscle once a week if my strength wont go up, so i guess i can say im more for the strength , but i have been reading and i was wondering about this routine.
    monday- chest
    tuesday- arms (bi's tri's and forarms)
    wednesday -legs
    thursday -shoulders traps
    friday-back , abs

do you guys think i can gain strength and mass at the same time with that work out

and i just wana say thank you with all the help so far
    peace

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like u're doing your research as we speak. I have had the most luck from working out each body part once a week. It allows me to focus on only 1 bodypart per workout and keeping my workout short and intense. I used to have a lot of those long 2 hour workouts but really i was just spinning my wheels. My advice is keep your mind open and give everything a fair chance. I'll throw out my split and u can take it as u will.

1: Chest
    2: Back
    3: Legs
    4: Triceps
    5: Shoulders
    6: Biceps/Forearms
    7: Rest

The Chest, Back, and Shoulder days usually take about an hour each. Leg day sometimes drags a lil bit and takes about 75min. My bicep and tricep workouts are very short and usually only take about 1/2 hour. I'm not trying to force my workout on u, just throwin out another suggestion, take it as u like, u won't hurt my feelings. As a rule also, i will keep my workouts very compact. I never try to do more then 5 exercises per workout for the big body parts. I usually throw in abs once every 3 workouts and keep abs to about 10min or less.

thanks saboudian, i think im gona go for a workout similar to your, i just have a quick question. how many sets if good for each muscle , is it ok if i do 4 exercises with 3 sets each and a set to failure ?

Originally posted by jurewix
    I am 17 turning 18 in a few months , i have been lifting for 4 years, i am 5' 11" , 215 pounds, the past few years for football we have been lifting like i said in my first post. chest, bi's, tri's and squats one day, day 2 back shoulder and abs, day 3 rest, and day 4 and 5 same as 1 and 2. I am looking for mass, but i want my strength to go up more. thats why i was wondering if i work a muscle once a week if my strength wont go up, so i guess i can say im more for the strength , but i have been reading and i was wondering about this routine.
    At your age, your ability to recover is greater and chances of overtrianing are minimized. If you want to train for mass you have to raise the intensity roof. Take your last two exercises each workout and make them supersets - the others you can focus more on limit strength. Work in drop sets, negatives, forced reps, shorter Rest Intevals (RI's - betwween sets)... This will require more rest inbetween training days too. So a typical one bodypart per week would be good, since you will be working out harder.

monday- chest
    tuesday- arms (bi's tri's and forarms)
    wednesday -legs
    thursday -shoulders traps
    friday-back , abs
    Don't think in terms of days of the week. That is poor way of structuring your split because sometimes you need to add an extra day of recovery or things out of your control happen. And you wouldn't skip that bodypart - you would go back to normal after you return. Think in terms of training days: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, ...

do you guys think i can gain strength and mass at the same time with that work out
    At your stage the two come together pretty well. Especially at 17.

Also, look into Germen Volume Training. I first learned it at 17 and had phenominal results and continue to work it in today. Charles Poliquin has the best articles on how to use it.

EAT! Stagger your diet. Do a Zone-based 40-30-30 during the week (about 3000-3500) and carb load on the weekends with a 60-30-10 (about 4000 calories). Happy growing...
    Last edited by Warrior; 12-26-2002 at 06:15 PM.

i am planning on doing a cycle at the begginig of march,
    Listen to what Warrior said. And please don't think about taking AS for a few years yet. You have plenty of natural test to help you grow.
    Get some protein and maybe some creatine. Eat Eat Eat.
    Goodluck,

thanks every one , yeah i have my juice , but i am planning on to holding it , so i am gona be training very hard like every one said . my work out is
    day 1 - chest, back, abs
    day 2 - bi's, tri's , forarms
    day 3- rest
    day 4- shoulders traps abs
    day 5- legs
    day 6- rest
    day 7- rest
    im not sure i might cuz off the day 7 rest and start back from the begining

Go ahead - if you feel overtraining starting to set in - consider that extra day banked to take it when you need it. The biggest thing is to be able to recognize overtraining and a plateau - and then adjusting. Good luck...

The Split looks good. A Push/Pull type. Put calves in twice too - like Abs, they recover fast.

Day 1 - Chest, Back, Abs
    Day 2 - Biceps, Triceps , Forearms, Calves
    Day 3 - Rest and EAT
    Day 4 - Delts, Traps, Abs
    Day 5 - Quads, Hams, Calves
    Day 6 - Rest and EAT
    REPEAT

saboudian is offline Senior Member
    thanks saboudian, i think im gona go for a workout similar to your, i just have a quick question. how many sets if good for each muscle , is it ok if i do 4 exercises with 3 sets each and a set to failure ?
    Well besides warmup sets, i always go to failure each and every set, and sometimes on the last set i'll do a drop set. As far as the number of sets goes, i just kinda listen to my body. If i feel that after 2 sets on a certain exercise is all i needed then thats all i do and if i feel i can still crank some more out of the muscle on that exercise then i go for 3. I usually only do 2 sets per exercise and sometimes 3 if i think i need it. I think its just something u'll just know after u kinda figure out your body. Smaller muscle groups like my biceps or triceps, all i will do is 3 exercises, 2 sets each and thats it. Where as a back workout usually i'll do about 5 exercises and go 3 sets usually on every exercise. Sometimes i'll get crazy, for example with calves about once every few weeks i'll superset donkey calf raises and seated raises non-stop with no rest in between and keep going until my calves are dead, then i lower the weight and keep on going. Sometimes this might take 10-15 sets on each exercise till i feel my calves are gone (and so is my walking). I think the main thing is to just have a general idea of what u're going to do when u're walking into the gym, and just respond to how your body feels. Just keep your workouts intense and u will know how many sets u will need to do.

By the way i kinda like that 2 on 1 off split u got now, i think u'll have good results with it, stick with it for about 6 weeks and see what it does for ya before u make changes.

ok i just wana say thanks to ever one who helped me , im gona train hard and hopefully see good results

jerwix that sounds like a real good work out!

yellows2k is offline Member
    How about

Day 1:Chest/Bis/Neck
    Day 2: Legs/Abs
    Day 3:Off
    Day 4:Shoulders/Tris
    Day 5:Back/Traps/Abs/Rear Delts
    Day 6:Off
    Day 7: Off or repeat

Thread Information