View Poll Results: What are your feelings on a training partner? (check the one that applies MOST)

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • I've had the same one as long as I can remember and consider him/her a critical component of my training

10 10.75%
  • I like to have them there for a spot and the occassional forced rep/negative

25 26.88%
  • I like to have one to provide at least some social aspect to my workout

6 6.45%
  • I consider them vital to all aspects of my training but prefer to change them as frequently as i change workouts

0 0%
  • I train in TOTAL isolation...if I need a spot or lift then I'm not strong enough to handle the weight (plus i like the element of danger)

12 12.90%
  • I train alone but won't hesitate to snag a fellow trainer for a spot or a lift

39 41.94%
  • Well, I somehow ended up with a significant other as my training partner...

1 1.08%
    BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member

Workout Partners

Wow! Just got done viewing Blood and Guts and I'm not sure there's much I wouldn't do to find myself a training partner like Dorian's. I'm particularly enamored with the way he reminds Yates of what exercise he's doing: "(in HEAVY british accent) alright Yates...Leg Presses...aarrrr yeah leg presses here"

Well, I was joking a bit there, since I did find that aspect kinda comical, but, for real, that kind of training partner must be a valuable asset. I currently train alone for the most part, grabbing a spot when I need it from people I'll occassionally work out with, exchange training philosophies, etc, but no one I'd go so far as to call a 'training partner'. Only once have i trained with a partner that I sincerely believe made each workout with him that much better and more intense...after viewing this flick, i want him back (or a similar bro). So, how do the AR members feel about training partners? Are there ronnie colemans in here who feel they work out better alone, or do we have aspiring dorians complete with angry brit sidekick?

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Nothing pisses me off than a workout partner that drops program. For that reason I no longer train with anyone (I have been through about 3-4 people) - I have not met anyone as serious about it as I am yet.

So... I STAND ALONE

But there is always a few people in the gym to get a spot from - for forced reps or just that "mental security".

RON
    RON is offline Anabolic Member
    I wish I could find a dedicated training partner. When ever I find one he is usually a wuss or he quits

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    ditto. Would be nice to have a spotter at least. I tried to get my g/f to spot. I figured just that little bit of extra pull/push could help me force one last rep, but she has quite me too

Jack87 is offline Retired Vet
    My boy always let me down so I go it alone now... His ass was way to unreliable... That shit pissed me off to no end...

And besides my girl knows more then his ass anyway about helping out with a forced rep or two and is way better looking

Not to mention the other benefits...

BigGreen is offline Anabolic Member
    Trained with my gf for a little bit...adn it was hell. SHe didn't like seeing the side of me that came out when I wanted to really kick my ass on militaries or the like. Somehow, 'i love you's' don't mean the same when they're coming from a person who only hours earlier demanded that you not pull the bar off of him unless his eyes start bleeding (well, not quite that extreme, but you get my point)

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    I have had my same partner for about 3 -4 years now, meet him in college and we feel in gym love I guess you could call it, I am lucky because he actually lives about 15mins away from me at home. He is just like me loves to workout in general and always down to go whenever, I have called him and been like you want to go to the gym at 6am tomorrow because I have stuff to do at night and he is like "see you there" He trains just like me too, goes heavy, he is around my strength for most things so there is also the competition aspect of our workouts too. He makes up the workouts some times and I do the others so we always change it up. Always down to do an extra set. Only difference is I have to do more cardio, he is naturally cut, I am naturally fat, arg..... But legit I couldn't ask for a better workout partner and I am sure that we will be working out for many years together. O ya he is also into the AAS, and we do our cycles together too. Doesn't get any better than that. I have never really took time and thought about how lucky I am to have a really good workout partner. I feel blessed now.

Pain.

RON
    painintheazz, That is a beautifully thing Don't ever let him get away from you

No seriously bro I envy you.

BigMike J is offline Anabolic Member
    Pain that is a great partner you got bro, i wish i could find somebody like that, but i will have to settle for nothing.

painintheazz is offline Anabolic Member
    Thanks bro's. Like I said I never really thought about it untill I read some of the stories and thought back to when I was training alone. Damn I am going to try to keep him around harder than I did with any of my ex-girlfriends. haha

Pain

Madsicilian is offline New Member
    Ive had the same partner for the past 5 years. We are pretty much the same strength wise, so we add a competive twist to our workouts. He watches my reps and weight and tries to match it or beat it on every set, and I do the same. IMO - a good partner is a must, everyone finds their modivation at low levels at one point or another, that partner should be there to make sure you stay focused and on track. Likewise, you do the same for him or her.

BIG TEXAN is offline Respected Member
    I, like many others have found partners unreliable. i find that there are a few of us regulars at the gym who just give each other a spot when needed.

usualsuspect is offline Anabolic Member
    I am fortunate to have a good training partner now but I went through my fair share of lacksdasial get in-get out training partners back in the day. It's great to lift with someone else with the same intensity level and push each other's limits. The best is motivating each other doing squats while the other 99% of the people at our school gym do arm curls in the mirror with their sleeveless greek lettered covered shirts. I think good training partners not only motivate each other but also compete with one another.
    Last edited by usualsuspect; 01-02-2003 at 03:09 PM.

babi is offline Associate Member
    yeah no doubt competiton brings the best.i especially like to work out with somebody bigger than me so i can push me even harder to push more,for now i have to settle working out with my wife

willpharmd is offline Junior Member
    I'm with most of u guys. I have been through 5-6 partners. I just can't find anyone who loves it as much as I do. At first they are all psyched up, but after a few weeks they start making excuses for missing workouts and eventually quit altogether.

Andy is offline Associate Member
    My partner is also best friend, we really drive each other. Starting new cycle next weekor so for instance, and taking 20 credit hours at school. We both made decision to hit gym at 6:30 a.m. . Guess Im a lucky one --He is usually the one asking me to get my ass in gear though.

Strut99GT is offline Member
    Grr!!! The thread is making me upset. Clockworks is now only my training partner in spirit, because I had to finish college and move away and "work." Blah. We would be getting bigger so much faster if we were still able to hit the gym together.

clockworks is offline Anabolic Member
    no shit, man. if i can get a job at lockheed martin with you, i'd be glad to leave all the debauchery, fem problems, and whatever behind....

god damn fem problems....

-- clocky baby

Originally posted by Strut99GT
    Grr!!! The thread is making me upset. Clockworks is now only my training partner in spirit, because I had to finish college and move away and "work." Blah. We would be getting bigger so much faster if we were still able to hit the gym together.

Southern Cross is offline Associate Member
    Originally posted by painintheazz
    I have had my same partner for about 3 -4 years now, meet him in college and we feel in gym love I guess you could call it, I am lucky because he actually lives about 15mins away from me at home. He is just like me loves to workout in general and always down to go whenever, I have called him and been like you want to go to the gym at 6am tomorrow because I have stuff to do at night and he is like "see you there" He trains just like me too, goes heavy, he is around my strength for most things so there is also the competition aspect of our workouts too. He makes up the workouts some times and I do the others so we always change it up. Always down to do an extra set. Only difference is I have to do more cardio, he is naturally cut, I am naturally fat, arg..... But legit I couldn't ask for a better workout partner and I am sure that we will be working out for many years together. O ya he is also into the AAS, and we do our cycles together too. Doesn't get any better than that. I have never really took time and thought about how lucky I am to have a really good workout partner. I feel blessed now.

Pain.
    Pain -- you are a lucky guy. I have had 3 different training partners in the past 16 months. It seems there is always something coming up, vacation, illness, lack of motivation, whatever, so I just train alone.

tatty is offline Member
    I train at home...so I train alone. I seem to be more focused by myself anyways...

tt333 is offline Senior Member
    I invite anybody that wants to workout with me. They want to know "how did you get that big"? They'll workout with me for maybe two weeks and I'll never see them again. Everybody wants to get big or get cut up but there not willing to put any effort into it. Right now ive got a good workout partner, we have the same mentality and shit is working out great right now, but only time will tell!

RON
    Originally posted by clockworks
    no shit, man. if i can get a job at lockheed martin with you, i'd be glad to leave all the debauchery, fem problems, and whatever behind....

-- clocky baby
    Good then you guys can hook my ass up. Those bastards have had my app for weeks.

DrJay73 is offline Associate Member
    One of my best workout partners ever is my trusty MP3 player! It's always there on time and ready to rock!

kc
    kc is offline Female Member
    I train alone...but there's always a few football players around that keep an eye on me so I don't get stuck. As a result, all motivation has to come from within..somedays that's a little low and it'd be nice to have a partner..but i'm pretty sure it wouldn't outweigh somebody trying to talk to me when i train. I'd just be a bitch anyway, it seems all my people skills leave me when i walk into the gym. I'm there to work, leave me alone until i'm stretching. I've surprised many people that way, they'll come up to ask me something while i'm stretchin..see me smile and have to look twice. gotta love that

JasonNew-b is offline Associate Member
    In my house, with my wife and my kids...and my dog
    I always train with my brother in-law, but he's kind of a flake. Everytime he gets into a tif with his girl, he won't lift the next couple of mornings. Bastard. For me it's essential that I have a lifting partner that I can count on.........anyone here in the Salt Lake area

bigol'legs is offline Quadzilla
    Quote Originally Posted by Strut99GT
    your working for lockead martin? <-- spelling.... The contractor im working for has its sub-contractor being taken oven by lockead. Get a transfer over here to MT and Ill bust ya up

I have a good workout partner.. we got the same love for the game and like pushing eachother... I just wish I could find someone to match me on legs and help push a little harder

Juggernaut is offline AR Jester
    I've had the same partner for almost two years. ALWAYS on time (in fact we try to beat each other to the gym everday for bragging rights), never talks much (other than to call me a puss) and pushes me to my very limit everytime. Won't let me slack off and loves the iron game as much as I do if not more. And it's a she not a he, trust me I'm even more shocked than you about this fact. I've a good friend that I workout with on weekends but he'll let me down from time to time.

In case you were wondering about what she does when I hit the really heavy stuff........she'll just grab whoever is close and have them spot me, I don't even think about it. I mean who's going to say no to a beautiful woman?

But she'll be leaving the company after the first of the year so I'll be on my own when she's gone.

bornbad71 is offline Anabolic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigol'legs
    I just wish I could find someone to match me on legs and help push a little harder
    Don't be so down bol...We're working real hard to get to your level on legs so u won't be alone.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    My problem is i need someone to work up to... Almost all of my freinds except the ones who still are playing college Football are smaller than me... And all my freinds there are big Im still stronger than, Not to mention im 6.5 260 and i havent be on since the middle of august...I need to find someone that is so sapior to me in the gym that i will drive myself that much farther....

clipper is offline Associate Member
    i have had the same guy for the last 4 years. He in is a great guy to workout with. I give him credit for were i am today. He is not as big as me or as strong(kicks my ass in deads though) as me. So i have to stay ahead of him. We have a wall of the wuss with all the guys who have tried to lift with us. It is up to 7 right now.

hoss827 is offline Banned
    Me an my partner go whenever we can, i go 5 days a week , hell go sometimes during the week but always on weekends. Its cool that were always there for each other an stuff, but his dad is a dick and grounds him for stupid stuff. But were gonna go on are cycles together when we are old enough, itll be cool.

punk_bbuilder is offline Senior Member
    I like that dorian video also.....I like to have my buddies screaming in my face...It helps...But most the time we all cant lift together. If i could find a constant partner i would be happy.

Bigboy123 is offline Senior Member
    Its hard to find a person that has the same exact schedule to work out with...

manijak is offline Associate Member
    Same problem here as everyone else, all wuss out....except two guys, one I left when I moved to U.S., the other left me when moved to miami....
    Anyone in St. pete area?

Thread Information