scotimus is offline Associate Member

Suggestions or workout tips for 12 hour shifts

I'm doing a lot of research on this board lately as I amwanting to do a test cycle in the new year. Anyway I was researching workouts and I could use some of your guys info.

I'm 27 6foot3 and around 195 lbs. I have been hitting the gym hard for the last year with 2 years of medeocre traing prior. I have lost a lot of body fat and have made good strength gains but I could use some pointers for my workouts.

See my main probalem is that I am a rigger. I work a week of 12 hour night shifts. Then a week of 12 hour day shift and then I have a week off. I find that I have deadly workouts after waking up for night shift.(sleep 8 am-230pm) but not great workouts on dayshift(wake up@5am and work 12 hors then finally hit gym around 8pm) I have good workouts on my weekoff of course as that is all I do is train and do some chores.

I guess all I am wondering is how hard I should train during dayshifts as I am usually tired when I hit the gym and get limited sleep at night. Now that I read my own post I realize it isn't that great of a question lol.

Well basically anyone with any input go ahead and give her. If anyone works a similar schedule I'd like to see how you do your workouts. Until then ill just keep researching. Thanks

MotoLifter is offline Senior Member
    i used to pull gigs like that. I started working out before and actually liked it alot. granted you have to adjust your sleep schedule to get up earlier and in bed earlier but shit happens bro. i would be there at around 4-5 or so. only afew hardcore lifters out at that hour so you dont have to deal with all the shitheads. take what ya can from that man. good luck.

Ya thanks dude. I realize its kind of a dumb question. I just feel like I might be working my body too hard and I know rest is one of the key building blocks to fitness. I'd go that early to the gym but mine doesn't open till 6am. Damn.

bcbrett is offline Associate Member
    i am a rigger as well. i work out after days shifts and after nights. the only time i head to the gym when i first wake up is for a little empty stomach cardio. MY last time cutting really took a toll on my sleep.

i work 12's like you and have a one and half hour drive each way. I find the best thing to do is train for 2 days then take 2 off. repeat. In those two days off make sure you are catching up in your sleep.

Also nutrition is huge with this lack of sleep. Provide your body with clean energy sources from complex carbs.

Also only be in the gym for 45 to an hour max. no bullsh!t exercises. Serious compound movements and staples only. Think squat, deads, presses, rows.

Make the best out of what time you have.

also if your going to get on the gear, wait till break up. the last thing you want is to get night sweats and have a hard time sleeping in the little time you get

Kibble is offline Anabolic Member
    I work 13 hour days. I go during my one hour lunch break. I usually take 90 minutes, because of changing, transportation etc..... but then I end up working an extra 30 minutes. Can you get off of the rig during your lunch break to go lift? Then you can eat your lunch while you are working. On the night shifts, just go before work

Twist is offline "AR's Personal Trainer"
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbrett View Post
    i am a rigger as well. i work out after days shifts and after nights. the only time i head to the gym when i first wake up is for a little empty stomach cardio. MY last time cutting really took a toll on my sleep.

i work 12's like you and have a one and half hour drive each way. I find the best thing to do is train for 2 days then take 2 off. repeat. In those two days off make sure you are catching up in your sleep.

Also nutrition is huge with this lack of sleep. Provide your body with clean energy sources from complex carbs.

Also only be in the gym for 45 to an hour max. no bullsh!t exercises. Serious compound movements and staples only. Think squat, deads, presses, rows.

Make the best out of what time you have.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcbrett View Post
    also if your going to get on the gear, wait till break up. the last thing you want is to get night sweats and have a hard time sleeping in the little time you get
    great advice

Thanks for the advice guys. Bcbrett,where you drilling?

Quote Originally Posted by scotimus View Post
    Thanks for the advice guys. Bcbrett,where you drilling?
    dawson area but on alberta side.

Thread Information