Tock is offline Anabolic Member

Which training method . . .

I'm reading a book that recommends doing a few sets with maximum weight to failure with long rest periods between sets. Says each set needs to be done with maximum weight to stress the maximum number of muscle cells. The guy claims his method is all the muscles really need, and is less likely to cause overtraining.

Is this better than pyramiding the weights up and down?

10,000 Thanks,
    --Tock

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    There are soooo many ways to train brah - no one way is the best way. The human body is to complex for that - and individual. But you can experiment with them all and find what triggers you the best. This method you describe sounds like a way to bring up limit strength.

I was just reading about a wave method today by Poliquin, you increase the weight over 3 waves. Your first attempt you are not as strong as the proceding waves... he explains that your mind/body goes through an adaption on the first wave that sets you up to be stronger on the other two. This is one I have never tried.

What is it you want to do? Simply using a double pyramid is not the way to train all the time - you should experiment with other theories. Do you want strength or size? Or both?

JohnnyB is offline AR-Hall of Famer / Retired
    Like Warrior said, there are many way to work out and it seem that everyones way is the best, especially if they wrote a book. Now if you read what Ed Coan says about working out, he says never go to failure. So we have to find what works for us and the book you rearding could be the one for you.

Get as many work out ideas as you can, that way it will be easier to find what works for you.

JohnnyB

Tock is offline Anabolic Member
    Hah . . . interesting . . . I've been using some of this guy's ideas the past month, can't say much for it, really. Minor pull on the right shoulder, think I'll go back to the tried and true pyramids . . .
    Ya, I understand there's a lot of different ways to workout. Seems kinda like theology, though; trainers use the same studies to justify different ways of working out.
    Thanks for the opinions . . .
    --Tock

Warrior is offline AR-Hall of Famer
    Originally posted by Tock
    Hah . . . interesting . . . I've been using some of this guy's ideas the past month, can't say much for it, really. Minor pull on the right shoulder, think I'll go back to the tried and true pyramids . . .
    Ya, I understand there's a lot of different ways to workout. Seems kinda like theology, though; trainers use the same studies to justify different ways of working out.
    Thanks for the opinions . . .
    --Tock
    Not really brah - much more complex than that. Look for theories by Charles Poliquin and Tudor Bompa for some complex and scientific understanding on training.

For example, one of the simplist, and one of my favorites, is the German Volume Training, developed in the European East Bloc. The reason I like it is it produces a strange adrenalin rush and every atempt you add a little more weight - very easily. The Kaizen Principle, a japanese word referring to continued progress. You do a 10 set, 10 reps flat pyramid at the same weight. 60% your 1RM max. Rest Intervals are 60 seconds and tempo is 4-0-2 for long range motions and 3-0-2 for shorter. By the 5th or 6th set you feel exhausted. Than all of a sudden the proceeding sets become easy again - creating an instant increase in strength - progress in one workout! Because you are doing 100 reps total over a short period of about 20 minutes, it is an effective workout for the bodypart. Good for strength and hypertrophy. One workout you do Flat Bench Press @ 225, 10 sets, 10 reps, 60 second RI, 4-0-2. Next workout you would atempt 235, then 245, 255, and keep this rate of progress and in 2 moths you have added 80lbs to your bench press. Can it be done? I have done it - all natural... and I have increased as much as 20lbs in one week using GVT.

Holistic training (Fred Hatfield) is another ass kicker that switches between different muscle fiber types in one huge set that can last for about 200, 250 - 300 reps between multiple exercises and different loads - depends on your level. One explosive power exercise for 3-5 reps, one rythmic exercise for 12-15 and one fluid for 40 reps. Rather than stopping for a rest, you keep switching between different fiber types - nonstop... one big set. Holistic workouts give you a huge pump and by far are my favorite for bringing pain to my biceps (which I really have to work for a burn). They work both the slow twitch and fast twitch and that will equal maximum hypertrophy. And if muscular hyperplasia is possible, I have to believe the burn from holistic training is a good stimulis.

Lots of different theories to hunt for... and most of all... try.

Thread Information